Gimbals. Are they really this scarce?

Nope. They aren’t $1288.55 scarce! They are unfortunately, a little harder to acquire than the Solo itself. When the gimbals bottomed out earlier this year, a lot of guys “ stocked up “ on the gimbals- they were about $40 a piece! This is the same gimbal that was introduced to Solo enthusiasts for $399- so it was a tenth of the initial price. Solo owners looking to get a gimbal should expect to pay more than $40 but NEVER, EVER, EVER pay $1288.55 or even close to this insane mark up!
Also, look carefully at the way the gimbal is listed, it is possible a gimbal may be listed for $25- $40... but it may be ( for parts only ) non- functioning. Look up Just Bruce on this forum, he purchases, repairs and completes a operational functions check, then if it meets his approval, he sells them! A good way to get a gimbal for a decent price.

This was the only listing at this price so I'm not sure if it's a mistake but all the others were nowhere near that price.

Every now and then, you will see a crazy ad on ebay where you would swear they were on crack- as the $1288.55 gimbal. I’ve also seen the Solo/ Gimbal at a highly inflated price at times- guess you can ask whatever you’d like- just hope no one is taking this hook, line and sinker. IrishmanPDX started a thread in relations to the gimbal prices about two weeks ago- I think he even averaged out the prices based on “ buy it now “ auctions at that time.

I suspect those totally crazy priced auctions are actually drug or other illegal transactions.
LOL, really? Maybe Craigslist is what you were thinking.

A non cynical reasoning could be to inflate ebay price trending, currently it is $339. Buying at $239 makes you feel like you got a deal... The free market of supply and demand, manipulated by algorithms.

Like momma said, “ You get what you pay for.”- but not in the case of the $1288.55 gimbal!!!

I've got a set of original, collectors item, 3dr props. $600 to whomever contacts me first.............. anyone? Anyone?

Brianuc4-
Scubanut2014 has a package for sale for $325- includes a wheeled case , gimbal and some relish3d extras. If you bought the package- kept the gimbal and sold off the Solo, case and extras- you could have a gimbal for probably less than a hundred bucks! Maybe even less- the case , Go Professional 3DR case is $239 alone according to the ad. Could possibly keep the gimbal and sell off the Solo, extras and case for your purchased price. Free gimbal?? for a little “ sweat equity.”
Scubanut2014 is in his mid 50’s- so I’m thinking his drone has probably been well taken care of. Just a suggestion if you needed a gimbal.

ONLY $600- IrishmanPDX! That’s a bargain! Maybe throw in a set of $750 gimbal weights?

I've got a set of original, collectors item, 3dr props. $600 to whomever contacts me first.............. anyone? Anyone?
Seems like a reasonable price I guess? Let me sell my other 2 drones to buy these props.

Brianuc4-
Scubanut2014 has a package for sale for $325- includes a wheeled case , gimbal and some relish3d extras. If you bought the package- kept the gimbal and sold off the Solo, case and extras- you could have a gimbal for probably less than a hundred bucks! Maybe even less- the case , Go Professional 3DR case is $239 alone according to the ad. Could possibly keep the gimbal and sell off the Solo, extras and case for your purchased price. Free gimbal?? for a little “ sweat equity.”
Scubanut2014 is in his mid 50’s- so I’m thinking his drone has probably been well taken care of. Just a suggestion if you needed a gimbal.
I already have a gimbal. I was just searching ebay the other night for a spare one and that 1200 dollar one caught my attention, not in a good way!

That $1288 gimbal, IrishmanPDX’s $600 props you still would need a drone- maybe call NASA and see what they have for sale!!!
Million dollars later and you’ll still want a green cube!

Reactions: brianuc4
Oh I got a collectors item GREEN Green Cube............ $1000.

Honestly, I can see the solo having the same legacy as the Amstrad CPC 464 some day. A highly capable machine for it's time, but just slammed by the competition. Some day, long down the road, it will probably be a good collectors item, no matter how outdated it gets.

The museum of drones, here we come!

Average price of Gimbals is heading back up, We went from $261 to $256 last month, now we're looking at $268. For all of those "tinkerers" out there, there are two sub $100 Gimbals on ebay right now (buy it now section). Both are "for parts" only. One is missing a HDMI port (so out with the soldering iron) the other apparently will only tilt up and down and won't level out. If you can fix em, might be a good investment!

So what goes wrong with them? Crashes?

Seems like it would be repairable even if you totally trashed it. Soldering iron and a plastic welder would pay for itself at this point.

Personally i'd abandon the platform if mine breaks. It would be sad to let such a nice flying drone go over a gimbal but I feel like it might be this drone's Achilles heel(the lack of supply).

Apparently 3DR was supposed to release the gimbal code to allow third party gimbal development but they haven't done it. If they decide not to then I'd have to move on from Solo if my gimbal ever gives out. I've been eyeing another drone for awhile now...just waiting for the price to drop a bit.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc