Gimbal tilt Error

Reaction score
I got my Gimbal installed on the 3DR Solo and for some reason it was a few times tilting but now its not any more for a while now but every time I turn on the controller it will tilt down like 20 degrees and I am not sure if thats a bad thing or something that I should contact them about?

Thank you

Reactions: BulldogAerials
Take off your battery tray, there's videos it's the GPS cover and 7 screws, be careful to detach the clip for your GPS so you don't pull wires, most likley your hdmi and gimbal wires are binding and any extra load on the motors has caused similar issues. Also note to point solo preferably north, but any direction other than south when powering on, I know it seems odd but until the next update me and many others had gimbal issues when pointing south at power up.

If you do both of these and still have issues send a ticket, these two things have fixed a lot of the problems though.

I got my Gimbal installed on the 3DR Solo and for some reason it was a few times tilting but now its not any more for a while now but every time I turn on the controller it will tilt down like 20 degrees and I am not sure if thats a bad thing or something that I should contact them about?

Thank you
Heres a very helpful thread with a lot of great information on helping with Gimbal Probelms..

I hope this helps..

Just a word on the gimbal | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Take off your battery tray, there's videos it's the GPS cover and 7 screws, be careful to detach the clip for your GPS so you don't pull wires, most likley your hdmi and gimbal wires are binding and any extra load on the motors has caused similar issues. Also note to point solo preferably north, but any direction other than south when powering on, I know it seems odd but until the next update me and many others had gimbal issues when pointing south at power up.

If you do both of these and still have issues send a ticket, these two things have fixed a lot of the problems though.
do you perhaps have the link for removing of the battery tray? I've been searching the forum and can't seem to find it at all.

Thanks bud

do you perhaps have the link for removing of the battery tray? I've been searching the forum and can't seem to find it at all.

Thanks bud
Yea iOS 9 changed my copy and paste but if you search cardboard mod here in the forum there's a thread with the video second from the top. May want to try the mod too while your in there it's real easy and does help GPS.

This is not the first time I have had to take off the battery tray I did that because 3dr had told me my solo would not stop beeping because my gps cable was not plugged in. I wanted to put that out there if your solo starts to beep check that the gps cable is plugged in properly but I am wondering is it worth just sending the solo back?

This is not the first time I have had to take off the battery tray I did that because 3dr had told me my solo would not stop beeping because my gps cable was not plugged in. I wanted to put that out there if your solo starts to beep check that the gps cable is plugged in properly but I am wondering is it worth just sending the solo back?

I wouldn't just cause I'd hate to wait for it and it's a pretty easy fix but if it's easier and you don't mind not having it a while. They could make sure everything's in good shape for ya I'm sure.

That said I only use service or even warranty as an absolute last resort, just cause that's me. So may be what's best if your unsure about it and have more patience than I do.

No Problem its not a huge deal it ends up working fine after a few seconds and every time I have flown it it seems to be good except once but other than that I did not see at least any problems. I really think its good to post problems that you resolved and the problems so other people don't need to go through the heartache I had at first too. This did just come out so with that bugs came out too but if you think about it people two years from now will look up to us because of the experience. I am not sure though why its always 20 degrees but it is straight just tilts down

do you need to take the tray off or do can I just take the Gimbal off? What do you mean by the wires are binding though? I need to unbind them or just remove them?

do you need to take the tray off or do can I just take the Gimbal off? What do you mean by the wires are binding though? I need to unbind them or just remove them?

It's just pretty close to impossible to route the wires where they aren't up against the dampers or motors when installing from below only. It's really still not full proof with the tray out since the two rear balls are still covered but it at least gives you a better view of what your doing. It's best to have the wires set in place with tape or something as far from the dampers and motor as you can, but you also have to allow for a bit of slack in the wires just so they aren't stretched tight. If you have them tight or touching the dampers it will cause vibration and affect video quality and if the wires restrict the motor at all that's when the gimbal goes limp trying to reset itself or protect the motor from damage. It's a bit of a trial and error but all in all it's pretty easy and once you get both wires routed correctly you'll notice a difference in video quality.

I'm sure there are videos around of the best ways to route your wires but the hdmi is the most crucial cause it's so stiff, I have that cylinder on the wire on mine tucked in the front just behind the 3dr logo on the exterior so it loops out around the whole mounting plate but I'm sure there's other ways too. They made it a bit of a pain and it would be nice if the hdmi was less stiff or better placed and sized but it is what it is.

It's doable to get right from under only but I'd highly recommend removing the tray to make it easier on yourself. Only takes maybe an extra minute or two good luck and fly safe.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdeeno