Gimbal test video (Tarot 2D)

Reaction score
While waiting on the Solo gimbal I decided to go ahead and mount a Tarot 2D. It's not going to win a style contest due to the wiring I had to do but it works and I've got FPV as well with no leg extensions thanks to a custom 3d printed mount that a fellow member sent me.

It was extremely windy this morning but I wanted to see what it would do. I also kept it on full acceleration. I plan on doing another test in less extreme weather tomorrow and I will also turn the power down some. Still not going to be as smooth as the Solo gimbal but it is better than nothing while I wait.

Oh I have not fine tuned the gimbal either so that will help some as well when I get to it.

This is just a quick video so guys cut me some slack.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I forgot to add, I'm only about 100 foot up from my takeoff point on the hill. You can see this at the end of the video. So while it looks like I'm a mile high I'm not. ;)

Last edited:
Nice! That low amount of vibration can easily be taken out in post and you'll have some rock solid, nice video.

Reactions: CPT Phil
I'm a low-end user - I have Cyberlink Power Director. It's not very expensive and has decent capabilities. I'm looking at going to Final Cut Pro X, strictly for the multi-cam editing abilities (I use multiple cameras on some of my projects). I understand Premiere Pro CC is probably better, but I don't like that it's a subscription-based software.

I'm a low-end user - I have Cyberlink Power Director. It's not very expensive and has decent capabilities. I'm looking at going to Final Cut Pro X, strictly for the multi-cam editing abilities (I use multiple cameras on some of my projects). I understand Premiere Pro CC is probably better, but I don't like that it's a subscription-based software.
Thanks, I've used PowerDirector years ago. Looks even tougher now. I think I will I go ahead and try it out since I will have some video worth editing now.

I think Final Cut Pro X is a great choice. Adobe Premiere is super awesome, but Final Cut X has come a long way and Premier is just clunky and feels dated to me. More and more professional editors are giving FCP X another look.

A couple things:

1. I've found that when stabilizing drone footage, "InertiaCam" works better than the newer "SmoothCam" EXCEPT for selfie type pull backs.

2. I highly recommend Larry Jordan's series of videos to get up and running in Final Cut X quickly. Its not free, but the time you save learning FCP will be worth the investment. See info below:

Workflow and Editing (including Multi-cam):
https://larryjordan.com/store/final-cut-pro-x-10-2-workflow-and-editing/

This includes a lot of useful stuff, especially on understanding FCP's Events, Librarys, and the browser stuff in general, which is powerful, but a little confusing at first.
It also covers multi-cam editing which you are specifically interested in.

Effects:
https://larryjordan.com/store/final-cut-pro-x-10-2-effects/

Meh. Its good, but most of this stuff is not that hard to figure out. Having said that, there is a very good module on Color Correction.

Complete:
https://larryjordan.com/store/final-cut-pro-x-10-2-complete/

This gets you everything from both of the above. If you want access to the color correction module in Effects, then it probably makes sense to get this one.

I think Final Cut Pro X is a great choice. Adobe Premiere is super awesome, but Final Cut X has come a long way and Premier is just clunky and feels dated to me. More and more professional editors are giving FCP X another look.

A couple things:

1. I've found that when stabilizing drone footage, "InertiaCam" works better than the newer "SmoothCam" EXCEPT for selfie type pull backs.

2. I highly recommend Larry Jordan's series of videos to get up and running in Final Cut X quickly. Its not free, but the time you save learning FCP will be worth the investment. See info below:

Workflow and Editing (including Multi-cam):
https://larryjordan.com/store/final-cut-pro-x-10-2-workflow-and-editing/

This includes a lot of useful stuff, especially on understanding FCP's Events, Librarys, and the browser stuff in general, which is powerful, but a little confusing at first.
It also covers multi-cam editing which you are specifically interested in.

Effects:
https://larryjordan.com/store/final-cut-pro-x-10-2-effects/

Meh. Its good, but most of this stuff is not that hard to figure out. Having said that, there is a very good module on Color Correction.

Complete:
https://larryjordan.com/store/final-cut-pro-x-10-2-complete/

This gets you everything from both of the above. If you want access to the color correction module in Effects, then it probably makes sense to get this one.

Wow, thanks Erik for the very detailed and useful post. After I get my feet wet I may look at upgrading. I'm really interested in getting into some 360 degree (vr) filming. Is FCP capable of editing 360 video? There are not a lot of cameras on the market yet but they are coming.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
I've been using GoPro Studio for simple editing but I sense upgrading to a more complex product is in my future. I just hate spending hours in front of a computer editing. However, the only alternative is to have it handled by a professional and they charge big bucks.

I've been using GoPro Studio for simple editing but I sense upgrading to a more complex product is in my future. I just hate spending hours in front of a computer editing. However, the only alternative is to have it handled by a professional and they charge big bucks.
I would highly suggest doing it yourself. There is so much that is subjective, and once you get the hang of it, it isn't that hard.... GP Studio does a good job, as long as you don't need stabilization or other effects. There are external stabilizer products (that you can find here) if that is all you need. There are many ways to get there these days

The one thing I will say about Premiere Pro though, is that while pricey and subscription, it is incredibly capable, and has seamless integration to other adobe products. If you have a student in your house, that is a cheaper option, and with the subscription you get the entire suite of products......

thanks Earldgrayjr. I appreciate it. Can you run your clips through a stabilization program first then load it into GoPro studio for simple editing? That would be handy for me.

thanks Earldgrayjr. I appreciate it. Can you run your clips through a stabilization program first then load it into GoPro studio for simple editing? That would be handy for me.
I have not done it, but I'm pretty sure you can import any clip into GoPro studio, including stabilized clips and clips from other cameras. But I'm not sure. The documentation on the GoPro website is pretty good. Just go there and look through the section on importing video into GoPro studio.

If your using a Mac, just use iMovie. It's as simple as it gets.

I have not done it, but I'm pretty sure you can import any clip into GoPro studio, including stabilized clips and clips from other cameras. But I'm not sure. The documentation on the GoPro website is pretty good. Just go there and look through the section on importing video into GoPro studio.

If your using a Mac, just use iMovie. It's as simple as it gets.
Here you go:
http://blog.oscarliang.net/edit-mobius-footage-gopro-studio/

So your workflow would be this:

1. use whatever software you want to Stabalize your video.
2. Export that stabilized video in a format GoPro studio supports (see article above)
3. Import that into GoPro Studio and edit away.

OR, if you want to remove fishe eye, I suggest this work flow.

1. Import video directly from Your GoPro camera into GoPro Studio.
2. Use GoPros excellent fishe eye removal tool to get rid of the fish eye.
3. Export the fisheye fixed footage out of GoPro Studio
4. Goto step 1 in the workflow above.

You would be round tripping in, out, and back into GoPro studio, but it should work.

Alternativly, if you have a Mac just use iMovie (as mentioned above). If you have a PC look into the free Windows Movie maker.

Here you go:
http://blog.oscarliang.net/edit-mobius-footage-gopro-studio/

So your workflow would be this:

1. use whatever software you want to Stabalize your video.
2. Export that stabilized video in a format GoPro studio supports (see article above)
3. Import that into GoPro Studio and edit away.

OR, if you want to remove fishe eye, I suggest this work flow.

1. Import video directly from Your GoPro camera into GoPro Studio.
2. Use GoPros excellent fishe eye removal tool to get rid of the fish eye.
3. Export the fisheye fixed footage out of GoPro Studio
4. Goto step 1 in the workflow above.

You would be round tripping in, out, and back into GoPro studio, but it should work.

Alternativly, if you have a Mac just use iMovie (as mentioned above). If you have a PC look into the free Windows Movie maker.

I would add that stabilization (and to a lesser degree fish eye) takes some time (some stabilization apps more than others and depending on resolution) so you might want to clip your video(s) down to rough size first, and if you have fish eye and want to get rid of it, do that, them stabilize, then edit. That way you aren't spending time processing large swaths of video you won't use...

Just my 2 cents... Worth what you paid for it ;)

Reactions: erikgraham
Sure. The best method will depend a little on your setup. Apps like Premiere Pro have it all built in with warp and lens profiles so it is a bit more seamless, but also more expensive.

If you have a stock lens on the GoPro and want to get rid of fish eye, I would do that first, as the result will effect what you are stabilizing next. But if not, then you can stabilize first. Keep in mind, after you get the gimbal, stabilization may very often not be needed, and with an alternate lens (such as PEAU 5.44) you also don't have fish eye. Not necessary, but it exists...

Last edited:
Reactions: erikgraham

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo