Gimbal seems to be dead

Reaction score
Recently bought a gimbal, connected up, have checked and rechecked connections but gimbal doesn’t have any life. No flickering light, no green led, no red led, nothing.

Any help would be amazing. Thanks

Maybe just have a faulty gimbal....

Check that the data/power cable from the main board doesn't have any broken leads. You'll need to remove the battery tray to inspect properly.

Reactions: Dash Hewes
Maybe just have a faulty gimbal....

Check that the data/power cable from the main board doesn't have any broken leads. You'll need to remove the battery tray to inspect properly.

Taken it all apart, connections all seem fine. However still not registering. Got this on the app: IMG_3489.jpg

Have you been flying the solo before you got the gimbal ? You may need to do a factory reset on the solo with the gimbal installed. Look in the user manual on ow to do a factory reset.

Do a search on this forum, I do remember seeing a post about solo not recognising the gimbal.

If this doesnt work you may have a faulty gimbal

Taken it all apart, connections all seem fine. However still not registering. Got this on the app:
If the gimbal is not powering up then Solo sees nothing, so the screen shot is correct.

Personally I think it is between the gimbal back to the main board in Solo. If power was getting to the top half of the gimbal, then you'd have some feedback at least from the yaw motor...I think..

There is a power/data ribbon cable underneath the Gimbal main board. If that is dislodged then I would expect the lower half to be dead, it may affect the whole gimbal, not sure. This link will give you some photos of the ribbon and connector connected, it is the connector labeled J3 - Gimbal - Exploded View , 4th photo maybe

If you bought a used gimbal you may have gotten someone's mistakes. Plenty of crap out on eBay and maybe a few here as well...buyer beware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robpower
I'm positive you're correct @RichWest on the gimbal playing dead if the data cable is disconnected from the top board - remember, the IMU is on the lower [GoPro connector] board. The potentiometer readings are also communicated across that data cable. If the IMU isn't present and the potentiometers aren't able to be read, the micro doesn't know where the unit it is in space and will [rightly] refuse to power the motors.

[That is some theory mixed in with my recollections from playing with a hundred or so gimbals]

Make sure you fully plug in both the hdmi and the power cables. That was my problem with same symptoms.

Have you used it before? If this is your first time using it and it doesn't work anymore. You can box it and bring it back to the supplier who provided you the Gimbal.
They have a warranty on all products they sell, so they will fix it. But I think you should return your refund. You can re-select a trusted GoPro gimbal brand.

I bought used guaranteed functional gimbal off of EBay to have a spare (my original gimbal worked). When I plugged it in and power up the Solo the gimbal's status light was red. No amount of fiddling with the connectors would correct it. I contacted the seller and returned it. I got a 100% refund and bought another one off of EBay and it has worked flawlessly.

I recommend you buy from a seller with a good rep and has a return policy.

- Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc