Gimbal Production

Reaction score
so if you own a solo without gimbal and would like a factory built gimbal for the solo, you're just s.o.l.? This does not feel good at all. Surely 3DR has a solution or are we just without? Look forward to any feedback! Thanks

so if you own a solo without gimbal and would like a factory built gimbal for the solo, you're just s.o.l.? This does not feel good at all. Surely 3DR has a solution or are we just without? Look forward to any feedback! Thanks

I guess you weren't aware that 3dr got out of the consumer drone business a year or two ago and everything since then has pretty much been a community diy collaboration kinda deal.
You can still get "new" (as in new old stock) Solo gimbals on Ebay and other places for way too much money, or you can improvise, adapt and overcome, and turn your Solo into something better than 3dr ever dreamed it could be. That's my Solo in my profile picture, it started it's life with me as a non-functional Best-Buy return that somebody stole the IMX6 out of, now it's an ever-evolving beast. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks here that can point you in the right direction to get stuff done.

The gimbals were $399 when they first came available in Sept 2015. There is lots of die hard owners who paid this, wts: the SOLO itself was $799 in May 2015. These diehards are the people who have kept the 3DR SOLO alive. A big thanks to the diehards.

Reactions: AlienPanda
Not at all, just buy a gimbal
you will not get it at bargain prices, but I am guessing you saved enough on solo to afford one if that is what you want
the folks who have been around awhile stocked up on gimbals when we saw the end coming

Not at all, just buy a gimbal
you will not get it at bargain prices, but I am guessing you saved enough on solo to afford one if that is what you want
the folks who have been around awhile stocked up on gimbals when we saw the end coming
Thank you all very much for the input. Yes I came into this way late and absolutely no understanding of the internal workings, and clueless about getting out of this market. Again thanks.

In many ways the solo is better off now, than when 3DR was actually making it.
When it was being made;
The GPS sucked,,, Now we have the Here and MRO compasses
ESC could fail,,,,, Now we have the green cube
Ran on bad firmware Now runs on the latest version of Arducopter

But all that is at the cost of it no longer being a ready to fly copter
got to roll up your sleeves and swerve into DIY land a bit

Ballo-
You can expect to spend about $175 for a gimbal- give or take $25. That would be a reasonable price at this stage of the game. My advice? I would be looking for someone exiting the hobby and look at purchasing their complete set up. ( maybe a few extra batteries, props, maybe upgrades and a case if you’re lucky.) I purchased my last 3DR SOLO/GIMBAL/BACKPACK package from B&H in January 2018 for $599 ( it’s still all factory boxed ) but at that point I was buying everything I could put my hands on- this one was number 18. ( not logical, but addictive) and I’m not the only hoarder of Solo Drones!!
I was only flying two units but bought extras thinking they would be wrecking like crazy, but never experienced any issues. I paired each Solo with a gimbal and when I sold them I sold them as such. I started downsizing after realizing they would go to waste sitting in the closet since the batteries alone will not last forever and now I am currently down to 5 brand new Solo/ Gimbal units with 3 backpacks and my two flyers with HPRC rigid rolling cases. They are always selling on this forum and ebay, just bite the bullet- and buy the gimbal, you’ll be happy you did.

Ballo-
You can expect to spend about $175 for a gimbal- give or take $25. That would be a reasonable price at this stage of the game. My advice? I would be looking for someone exiting the hobby and look at purchasing their complete set up. ( maybe a few extra batteries, props, maybe upgrades and a case if you’re lucky.) I purchased my last 3DR SOLO/GIMBAL/BACKPACK package from B&H in January 2018 for $599 ( it’s still all factory boxed ) but at that point I was buying everything I could put my hands on- this one was number 18. ( not logical, but addictive) and I’m not the only hoarder of Solo Drones!!
I was only flying two units but bought extras thinking they would be wrecking like crazy, but never experienced any issues. I paired each Solo with a gimbal and when I sold them I sold them as such. I started downsizing after realizing they would go to waste sitting in the closet since the batteries alone will not last forever and now I am currently down to 5 brand new Solo/ Gimbal units with 3 backpacks and my two flyers with HPRC rigid rolling cases. They are always selling on this forum and ebay, just bite the bullet- and buy the gimbal, you’ll be happy you did.
What are people doing for batteries now that the original ones are aging and will only last so long. I feel like I could use something a bit fresher already.

well that’s going to be our achilles- that’s the reason I sold a bunch of my Solo birds- B&H is still selling batteries for $30- maybe a few extra to get you by until a solution arrives?.

What are people doing for batteries now that the original ones are aging and will only last so long. I feel like I could use something a bit fresher already.
Check this out:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Solo gimbal isn't really priced much higher than most decent gimbals and it gives full camera control for the correct gopro. There are other gimbals that will work too but will not provide camera control.

The battery problem is also being solved using the BMS from a stock battery and any 4S battery.

It also depends on what you are going to capture with your solo. If its video, yes a gimbal is a good idea but if its for still photography look at mounting a different camera. I know a guy here that paniced about not being able to get or afford a gimbal but is only interested in still photography, dont need a GoPro or gimbal for that type of work.

Have a look through the forum, many have mounted different cameras on thier solos for still photography, I have a Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc