Gimbal Problem

Reaction score
I acquired a gimbal and hooked it up to Solo. I installed my GoPro Hero 4 black, and as I understand, it does not need weights. When I turn Solo on, the green light comes on, the gimbal levels itself and then the light turns red and the gimbal leans to one side? I was able to get the gimbal to react to the controller 1 time and now after numerous attempts with installation, reboots, etc, the light always turns red?

Any ideas?

1 - Does your camera work fine when not connected to the gimbal...can you hold in your hand and successfully take a 5 minute video?
2 - When you say "light turns red", you mean the light on the camera? Does the Solo remain powered up with white on front LEDs and red on rear LEDs?
3 - What version firmware is your camera...it will be displayed on the bottom of the screen about 1 second after power up.

Note that with camera version v05.00, when the camera is in the gimbal, you DO have to power up the camera manually (pressing the power button on the front of the camera), however, the camera will power down automatically when the Solo powers down.

1) I attached the fixed holder and took 8 minutes of video and could see FPV, so I don't think it's the camera.

2) I mean the green/red light on the back of the gimbal that tells you if Solo in in communication with the gimbal. The LEDS are as you say. The gimbal light turns green for a few seconds and then red. Sometimes it just blinks green.

3) I'll have to check that when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the info, I've read alot on here about gimbals but couldn't find anything other than, "if gimbal turns red, reboot, if that doesn't work you need to send in to 3dr".

Once, my camera would not power down via Solo or front power button...I removed the camera battery and it then worked fine. Have you tried that?

For reference...on mine: with the camera in gimbal, HDMI cable plugged in, camera turned OFF...then Solo powered up, Solo LEDs turn front white, rear red, gimbal will align itself, rear gimbal light slow flashes green and all appears ready to fly...screen of camera is blank (camera has no power). I then power down Solo, the gimbal will go limp and all LEDs turn OFF.

If I do exact same procedure as above with HDMI cable unplugged from camera...I get exact same behavior.

I know if you power Solo up with no camera in the gimbal, the gimbal will try for a few seconds to align...then give up trying, and go limp...which is what yours is doing. That kinda implies that you have some issue with the connection between the large port on the rear of the camera making proper connection the connector on the gimbal. Check those ports for debris...and be sure you have the camera seated firmly in the gimbal and in that port.

There are really only a limited number of things you try/check before calling it "broken" and it has to be sent back. That would be cable connections, gimbal data cable in to motherboard, gimbal HDMI cable in to gimbal board, gimbal HDMI cable in to camera.

Last edited:
Here's what it does, the GoPro is off and the HDMI cable is plugged in. The green light flashes, it tries to level and then it turns red:

View media item 734

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso