Gimbal HDMI bypass adapter

Would you buy the adapter mentioned?

• No. I have no need

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes. if it cost less than $15

• Yes, but it can't cost more than $35

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • YES! it'd save my gimbal! $65 would be fine!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • You're nuts. Find another loony bin to rattle around in

• Total voters
Reaction score
Folks:

After sacrificing a damaged gimbal to the gods and doing some detective work, I believe it should be possible to create a bypass cable for folks who have damaged HDMI ports. Turns out all the video is routed down the larger of the two ribbon cables, while the power, command, and data lines are sent down the smaller. So, if I or someone else can suss out the pinout matching between the ribbon and the female micro-hdmi, I think a board that offers a bypass HDMI port could be created. It would attach to the existing ribbon cable, extend it thru a short (~30mm) ribbon to a small board with a micro-HDMI female and probably a couple of holes for attachment or mounting.

This would only work for boards that are otherwise okay (they stabilize, and the record button and other features work) but might be an option.

Or am I way out in left field here and no one would want one?

Interesting idea, but replacing the stock hdmi connector is the most ideal solution. Adding hardware in and around the gimbal would likely add vibes. And hoping common users could remove safely the ribbon is asking for other issues.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I would lean towards the KISS principle here.

It is indeed simplest. However, I'm seeing a lot of gimbals amongst the ones I've purchased where that wouldn't even be a possibility because the traces have torn off the board along with the HDMI connector.

But yeah, that's why I asked before going out and doing anything.

Honestly the traces are unlikly to rip off the board from the hdmi connector. The solder fingers are very fragile and are what remained after the connector was removed on the two units I've repaired. Until you get down to the solder pads, by removing solder and loose terminals, you don't know what you have in most cases.

I had one solder pad with heavy black oxide, thought it was a torn pad. Flux, solder braid and leaded solder revealed an intacted pad.

But then, you have confirmed examples that are otherwise. In that case, then sure your solution is reasonable. Not trying to redirect you, just seeing the overall potential is limited for the amount of time the solution would require to engr.

Yeah, if only I were so lucky. I'm seeing fiberglass, and there are actual filaments of copper torn up from the board running away from where the HDMI connector used to sit.

I might just spin up a half dozen for myself and then maybe I'll post the files somewhere. Or maybe not. I kinda suspected it was a hare-brained idea.

Yeah, if only I were so lucky. I'm seeing fiberglass, and there are actual filaments of copper torn up from the board running away from where the HDMI connector used to sit.
That was likely someone "fixing" the board by ripping the connector off...can't help stupid.

Have a look at most of the ones on ebay. There's about a 50/50 split between 'looks like maybe could be reflowed' and 'traces torn off board'

I have a gimbal without a HDMI connecter on the top of the board, I took a ribbon cable with a male mico hdmi on one end and a female on the other. I connected it to the camera and the standard solo hdmi plug. works great but u can't go to fast. Cost less then $6

Reactions: RichWest and skyhax
I have a gimbal without a HDMI connecter on the top of the board, I took a ribbon cable with a male mico hdmi on one end and a female on the other. I connected it to the camera and the standard solo hdmi plug. works great but u can't go to fast. Cost less then $6
Wait...what? I've got 5 gimbals and 3 of them have no HDMI connector thing on the gimbal board (they got f'd up for one reason or another). So, where did you plug in the other side of the ribbon connector....the side that doesn't go into the GoPro? I've noticed an HDMI port inside the solo on some component. Is that the place? I still use the gimbals with the broken HDMI port and just manually adjust the gimbal thru the controller and have become quite good at that...but it would be nice to have a functioning gimbal inthat I can see what I'm filming at the time. Thanx in advance.

Wait...what? I've got 5 gimbals and 3 of them have no HDMI connector thing on the gimbal board (they got f'd up for one reason or another). So, where did you plug in the other side of the ribbon connector....the side that doesn't go into the GoPro? I've noticed an HDMI port inside the solo on some component. Is that the place? I still use the gimbals with the broken HDMI port and just manually adjust the gimbal thru the controller and have become quite good at that...but it would be nice to have a functioning gimbal inthat I can see what I'm filming at the time. Thanx in advance.
There are 2 ways to do this #1 male and female connector to the solo cable #2 this is by for the best, longer cable and 2 male connectors cut a small slot to feed the cable and connect to solo's board's HDMI

Light bulb just went off. So lemme understand. I take an HDMI ribbon cable ( I have one from whatever that place is that makes them...china I believe) and connect it to my GoPro...then get another cable to go from my ribbon female end to a male end and then place that male end into the solo's HDMI thing inside the bird itself. Right? That's soooooo cool, dude. That Hdmi port on the gimbal is gotta be the Trump presidency equivalant of what solo gimbals are to the Solo....if that makes any sense.

Light bulb just went off. So lemme understand. I take an HDMI ribbon cable ( I have one from whatever that place is that makes them...china I believe) and connect it to my GoPro...then get another cable to go from my ribbon female end to a male end and then place that male end into the solo's HDMI thing inside the bird itself. Right? That's soooooo cool, dude. That Hdmi port on the gimbal is gotta be the Trump presidency equivalant of what solo gimbals are to the Solo....if that makes any sense.
Please note that # 2 is easier and better , just notch the gimbal mounting plate so you can pass the cable through and connect to solos hdmi port thus u eliminate the solo cable.

Please note that # 2 is easier and better , just notch the gimbal mounting plate so you can pass the cable through and connect to solos hdmi port thus u eliminate the solo cable.
you're the man, brother. You rule. Now that you've taught this to me , I say to myself..."That was so simple!" . But it took YOU to point it out. gawd bless you and blessings to all your off spring for eternity.

Hi, guys!
Just take a look at the following adapters:
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
I am sure that one of these or similar ones will fit the stock 3dR ribbon on the gimbal (not sure about the flat cable connector pitch, so please check it !). With some tinkering I think it with fit on the gimbal body also. I bought one without micro HDMI connector, but only for parts (yet...).

Hi, guys!
Just take a look at the following adapters:
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
I am sure that one of these or similar ones will fit the stock 3dR ribbon on the gimbal (not sure about the flat cable connector pitch, so please check it !). With some tinkering I think it with fit on the gimbal body also. I bought one without micro HDMI connector, but only for parts (yet...).

Nope. Those are all 20 position ribbon connectors. SOLO's, for some reason, is a 22 position ribbon cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc