Gimbal fixable after crash?

Reaction score
Hello All,
I bought a used 3DR Solo with 3-axis gimpal a month ago and after a wreck (hit a tree at 100ft elevation) the gimbal isn't working right. The video feed is working well, but the gimbal is not working. No panning up and down, movements. When it's turned on it make noises like the motors are spinning then eventually rock back and stay there. I tore it apart and was able to find some damage done to the motherboard where the HDMI ribbon connects. (see attachment) It appears a few of the connections have been damaged. Is a repair possible? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20181222_082953447.jpg
    IMG_20181222_082953447.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 45
First, the connector that you are pointing to is the control ribbon, not the hdmi. The power and signal to drive the gimbal. The connector looks lifted, is that what I'm seeing?

The more likely case is that the gimbal is bent and a motor is in a bind. The grinding sound that you are hearing.

As to repair, maybe... Here's a link to what is involved. Gimbal - Exploded View

Reactions: craigscotty28
Same problem here...RichWest I sent you a message regarding possibly fixing the issue. My HMDI connector snapped right off the gimbal when reinstalling it :(

I used to fix SMD stuff like this, but underwent eye surgery three years ago, and lost my "gift" of micro-close vision. Lately, I've had to use a camera system and an IRDA table (which I recently sold), with very limited success. All that to say, if it were my gimbal, I'd go to ebay and buy a new 3Ax controller board, slap that puppy in and pray the motors are still ok. They CAN be found cheap enough.
I recently did that with a Tarot 2Ax gimbal i was given, with a smoked regulator chip on the controller board (which means, something else shorted it out big-time). I simply threw out the controller, bought an $11 generic replacement off ebay, and I'm back in the saddle. The only drawback is the new controller I bought was it's size ---- twice the size of the original Tarot controller, so I had to mount it outboard of the gimbal.
This is no issue, however, because they come with the position sensor mounted on a tiny PCB of it's own, a long cable to connect it to the MB, and the standard power pigtail. The little PCB is attached to the camera mounting bracket of the gimbal, preferably just underneath the camera. This is a very light little PCB, and can be mounted using nothing but double-sided tape (3M or equiv).
I do know they make generic 3Ax controllers too. Some even use the exact same MB used in their 2Ax, except it's also populated with the components for the 3rd Axis, where they are left off of the 2Ax version.
I don't thiink we can post links here, but a search on ebay should turn up a whole page of them..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela