Gimbal Delete?

Reaction score
Hi guys!
My first of hopefully many posts here.
Your forum was the deciding factor for me when I got my 3DR and I love it.
I've owned it for 3 days and I've upgraded the GPS and antenna.
I primarily use it for surf fishing. My question to yall is:
Is there a way to delete the gimbal? or go back to the original mount for when I don't need it? I carry bait out (only 200m) but the gimbal itself weighs around 6-7oz and that's unnecessary weight for me. I tried finding the original mount but for some reason can't find it to buy anywhere. Thank you for your input!

Kevin15664,
Do you need the “ fixed gimbal “ mount?
If you’re only going to use Solo for surf-fishing, then you won’t even need the 3-axis gimbal. If you have no intent on using Solo with a gopro- for photography or filming, you could easily sell your working ( keyword) working gimbal or trade your gimbal for another Solo. Then you would have 2 birds for fishing and another forum member would have a fully functioning 3 axis gimbal. If your Solo has a mishap over water, the Solo and gimbal are most likely trash. Every once in a while, we hear of someone whose Solo hit the water and some how survives. To remove the 3 axis gimbal is pretty easy, remove a couple mounting screws and carefully unplug.

Reactions: Kevin15664
Kevin15664,
Do you need the “ fixed gimbal “ mount?
If you’re only going to use Solo for surf-fishing, then you won’t even need the 3-axis gimbal. If you have no intent on using Solo with a gopro- for photography or filming, you could easily sell your working ( keyword) working gimbal or trade your gimbal for another Solo. Then you would have 2 birds for fishing and another forum member would have a fully functioning 3 axis gimbal. If your Solo has a mishap over water, the Solo and gimbal are most likely trash. Every once in a while, we hear of someone whose Solo hit the water and some how survives. To remove the 3 axis gimbal is pretty easy, remove a couple mounting screws and carefully unplug.

Thanks for the reply Devil. Everywhere that I've looked I can't seem to find just a smooth plate that covers that area up. Best I've seen is the fixed mount. I was going to jerryrig my own from said fixed mount. As far as the gimbal goes, I stuck a gopro in it to see how it worked and that's it. I have 0 use for it. Did you say trade a gimbal for an entire bird??? I didn't know they were worth that much.

They are getting harder to get- if you list it on the classified forum; and offer 3 axis gimbal in exchange for Solo- I think you will get some replies.
Take a dremel and modify the fixed mount. you can cut off any protrusions and make it smooth and aerodynamic.

They are getting harder to get- if you list it on the classified forum; and offer 3 axis gimbal in exchange for Solo- I think you will get some replies.
Take a dremel and modify the fixed mount. you can cut off any protrusions and make it smooth and aerodynamic.
I'll take your advice to heart! thanks brother

Believe it or not, the 3DR solo isn't a lifting body, it was not designed in a wind tunnel by NASA scientists. So in all fairness, you don't need a smooth plate to cover where the gimbal goes. Just use the fixed mount plate and you'll be fine or remove the fixed mount plate and just leave a big hole, either way it won't affect the performance of your drone. Heck, black duct tape will do in a pinch.

Believe it or not, the 3DR solo isn't a lifting body, it was not designed in a wind tunnel by NASA scientists. So in all fairness, you don't need a smooth plate to cover where the gimbal goes. Just use the fixed mount plate and you'll be fine or remove the fixed mount plate and just leave a big hole, either way it won't affect the performance of your drone. Heck, black duct tape will do in a pinch.

I was thinking strictly in the name of drag. I'm gonna take a dremel to the clip and some electrical tape to keep sand out. Thanks man

Kevin,
Listen to IrishmanPDX- he’s a straight shooter. ALSO- look on Amazon- they sell a contraption that releases your bait to do exactly what you’re using Solo for-
I sold a Solo to a guy a few months ago with the same purpose as you- I took off the gimbal and sold him Solo for $150. Why buy the gimbal if it’s not what you need. Look up Solo Bait Release on Amazon.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Look up the release first- it’s like $39 - it may need those connections to hook into.

I’d bet someone could make you exactly what you’d like with a 3D printer- wouldn’t cost much I’m sure. And you would still have your fixed mount.?

I was thinking strictly in the name of drag. I'm gonna take a dremel to the clip and some electrical tape to keep sand out. Thanks man
If the solo was a lifting body (like a plane or glider) then you'd be right to want to reduce drag, however it's not. It's not even a very aerodynamic shape at all (if you don't believe me, try throwing it and see what happens..). To fly forward the drone will apply more thrust to the rear motors to tilt the drone. This means that the mounting plate will be behind the body of the drone, therefore actually subjected to very little or no drag at all. The same with flying backwards or even sideways. You're not going to increase speeds or extend battery life by taking a dremel to your drone. Trust me, with this design, drag is just not an issue. The only thing you'll be doing is getting rid of some rather cool potential with your drone (even as a fishing rig).

Sure you may not want to do videography with your drone, but if you DID mount a camera to it, even on the static mount, you could have a birds eye view of where you're dropping your bait (is there a reef at your drop spot? Can you maybe see some fish, Is that a body in the water? Oh god, there's a body in the water I should call the cops.... after I check to see if there's a wallet with money in it...... etc.)

Then there's the option of attaching a light (such as a lume cube) to your drone also. You may not be into photography but what about using it as a flying spotlight. Heck your supposed to meet up with your buddies while fishing, what better way than to tell them "aim for the flying light in the sky".

So by sawing away at the static mount, you're not actually achieving or gaining anything, you're actually just doing yourself a dis-service.

So I'd just remove the mount altogther and keep it somewhere safe. Then you can paint a piece of cardboard or something else black, and stick it in the gap. That way if you want to play around with the drones other potential later on, you'll have the static mount in one nice piece rather than to have to go online trying to find one.

Kevin,
Listen to IrishmanPDX- he’s a straight shooter. ALSO- look on Amazon- they sell a contraption that releases your bait to do exactly what you’re using Solo for-
I sold a Solo to a guy a few months ago with the same purpose as you- I took off the gimbal and sold him Solo for $150. Why buy the gimbal if it’s not what you need. Look up Solo Bait Release on Amazon.
Damn, I was aiming for mildy sarcastic, sometimes amusing but mostly annoyingly right... oh and modest too....

Although does beg the question..... does anyone actually want a smooth plate to cover the gimbal area for their drone? Might see if I can get one designed and then print it off on the 3D printer. Since there's a lack of people making stuff for the solo anymore, maybe it's something to explore.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
See Kevin- he is always thinking outside the box. And he has some good points. Just wait a couple more hours for the sarcasm to come to surface... he will have you sending Solo to the nearest liquor store for refreshments!
All you really want to do is protect the inside components of Solo. May I suggest a nice piece of masonite or 1/4” plywood as your launching/ landing platform? And as soon as you are done with Solo- slide it into a case to keep blowing sand particles from getting into the motors.

You guys are great! Never expected this much insight when I signed up. I'm looking into the bait drop but that requires soldering and I'm not real confident in my skills. Do they make one that doesn't require soldering points?

Irishman-
The drone I got came with the gimbal. It was the same price as the one with out so I figured what the hell

Well if you're not going to use that gimbal, seriously, swap it for a working drone. Like USMC86 said, you might as well have a spare drone rather than 1 drone with a gimbal you're not going to use.

If you do swap it, just make sure you pack it carefully. They are rather delicate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela