Frequent app crashes with iPhone

Reaction score
I can't seem to find much evidence of this on the forum, but I just purchased my Solo this weekend. I have updated the Solo and the Controller to 2.4.2. I have an iPhone 6S running iOS 10.1.1, and the 3DR Solo app crashes on me frequently. It is particularly disconcerting when it does so while flying.

I have had crashes prior to installing the gimbal as well as after installing the gimbal. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes. I notice this frequently on my iPhone 7 Plus. I brought this up to support and they didn't really seem to be too concerned about it. At this time I normally use my work Samsung S7.

I have noticed it as well as soon as I try to connect to Solo or hit Fly Solo on my iPhone 6S Plus. Crashes at least 2 times and then doesn't happen after that. Though I only have a short 5 minute flight on my new Solo it still does it when I am at home and looking through settings.

I also have app crashing on iPad mini 2, and iPhone 7 with the latest iOS. Switching on geo fence causes the crash very time.
Tried resetting and reinstalling app, memory clearing but no joy.

Reactions: Bear
Odd wonder if some other app is conflicting
I run a 6s plus and it's solid as heck

Yeah, it certainly sounds as if some of us have lots of problems and others none at all. I submitted a support ticket but haven't heard back.

The following will crash the latest 3DR Solo app on an iPhone 7 and iPad Mini 2. Only using the app, no controller or drone, and other app is running.

Start the app.
Tap Fly Solo and then back arrow to the home screen, this works every time.
Now tap Fly Solo, then swipe left to dispay the satellite map and tap map for full screen satellite map, the tap the back arrow to the home screen, the app crashes every time.

The small satellite map screen will not crash the app, only the full satellite map will crash the app. This also happens with any smart shots that uses the full screen map.

So from my tests, the full screen satellite map is causing the app crash. The app is still running in the background, double tap the home button.

I have tested this on three different devices, all with the same results.
Could someonelse confirm my findings with an Apple phone or tablet running the latest iOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear
you are right that does crash it
guess I never noticed it because I never do that.
to close the map view I just tap the video feed window and that closes the map without having to hit back

Also any part of the application that uses the full satellite map screen will crash the app on exiting the map screen.

From the Solo Fly screen tap the GeoFence icon on the top right of screen and the smart shots modes, the controller and Solo needs to be online from these modes, and again the app crashes.

The issue here is the full map screen.

When the app crashes while flying, I double tap the home button, swipe up the Solo app and restart the app. At no time has the app crashing interfered with the operation of Solo, it is just a pain.

no mine does not do that one
I can crash it with the back button from maps but not that one

@AH Yes, this crashes my app, too. It is entirely possible that this is related to the issues I was having in the past. I hadn't noticed that the app was still running previously, but it may have been. 3DR did respond to me, but it was along the lines of don't run any other apps, etc. This new information would probably be of interested to them.

I tested app for a few hours, after it crashed a few times while flying. Tried as many combinations of Solo app and reinstalling and system settings, but no effect. So only two options, the latest iOS or the Solo app as the system does not crash with the smaller insert satellite map only the full screen map - GeoFence saved cable cams etc.....

I'm awaiting a reply from 3DR support and I will let all known the findings or solution

Last edited:
Received a reply from 3DR support:

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for contacting 3Drobotics.

Hope your day is going well,

We are sorry to hear that, the iPhone 7 is not a compatible device, the same issue happens with the iPad Mini 2?

https://3dr.com/kb/solo-app-compatibility/

Please delete and install the app, restart your phones and make sure the cell data is off.

Best Regards,

Ryan Renteria
3D Robotics
Tech Support Agent

Firstly the IPhone 7 is not compatible with the Solo app (that's breaking news for a lot of people), and for all other compatible apple devices you need to switch off mobile data.
You also need to switch off cell data on a device that has no cell settings - Wi-Fi only iPad. If you switch off mobile data, all you get is blank maps, but the app still crashes.
From the reply received, 3DR did not check this issue, but supplied a default answer without checking the issue.
I would expect a better effort for 3DR support.

Does anyone have an email address of someone in 3DR who knowns the Solo app or at least would check the issue.

Last edited:
Received a reply from 3DR support:
From the reply received, 3DR did not check this issue, but supplied a default answer without checking the issue.
I would expect a better effort for 3DR support.

Does anyone have an email address of someone in 3DR who knowns the Solo app or at least would check the issue.
Anthony- you are obviously under the mistaken impression that 3DR continues to offer actual, meaningful support. I've seen from previous CS responses lately that no one is at the helm. CS has taken the route of cable TV companies like Comcast and others; if they can't read from a pre-prepared script to solve your problem, there is no CS!

I am afraid that your best 'support' comes from forums such as this, or trial and error on your part. And I very seriously doubt that CS and general Solo system knowledge exists past what you've just experienced.

mine works just fine if I don't press the back button from the map button. flown it many times and never noticed this crash because I never hit back to leave the map mode
I just click the little video window to close the map
don't look for changes on the solo app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela