FPV Goggles - Recommendations?

Reaction score
My Android screen isn't bright enough. Short of putting a hood over my head - it's just not working.

My understanding is that the HDMI socket on the back of the Solo controller will deliver the raw video coming from the camera (Less any parameters.).

Does anyone have a recommendation for FPV goggles?

I suppose I should consider them an investment for use beyond the Solo.

I find tablet hoods do help (somewhat) however if you wear glasses and have reactive lenses... that's always going to be a problem. I have another solution which is to just make a flight station. Pop up tent, table, small 32" tv, have a nice sit in the shade while flying. However, if you find a good pair of FPV that work, make sure you post the link here!

I like your tent idea - that could be good for learning. It wouldn't interfere with the signal and I wouldn't be giving up the parameter screen.

Actually if someday I advanced to commercial applications - a tent would probably be a requirement - a spotter on the outside and a pilot on the inside.

Well I was also thinking about something like this
CANOPY
You could then also get the screen walls or sunshade walls for it, depending on your weather requirements. Keep the rain or sun off you.

I use the HAV1KIT from Hoodman. It is heavy for the tablet holder but it does block the sunlight. It's even somewhat immersive like goggles would be.

Looks like the HAV1 Kit solves being able to read the screen (search HAV1 on Amazon). Mostly positive reviews. Specific for drone aviators.

By making a complete enclosure it should eliminate screen reflection - which a standard hood does not.

Looks like a good choice for portability (easier to carry than a tent). What about the touch screen issue?

Let me give the pros first:
1. Does a great job of blocking light (you can see every detail on you device screen, even in direct sunlight)
2. Immersive experience similar to goggles
3. Can still see the drone by simply looking away from the hood and toward the drone (goggles have to be removed from face)
4. Folds up and will pack in a backpack
5. Less expensive than fpv goggles

Now the cons:
1. Heavy for the 3DR tablet holder
2. Touch screen is accessible but somewhat awkward
3. More expensive than the 3 sided screen shades

I hope this helps...I honestly like the HAV1. You simply cannot create decent video if you can't see your subject. The Hoodman solves the preview problem.

Thank you the details. You make some really important points.

I like the ability to look away from the hood - removing goggles means taking your hands off the controls. Sure, you can do it with the Solo, but it's not a habit I want to encourage.

The normal 3 sided sunscreen is wasted - the screen may be shaded but the background reflects off my screen. This is especially true in full sun - but not much better even in very overcast conditions.

Another point would be that there is a lot of development going on in this area. One "wearable" screen looked appealing (Amazon link below) but the reviews make me think that compatibility could be an issue. And - whether the image you'd see would be adequate for video creation is questionable.

Thanks again.

Wearable screen:
https://amzn.to/2Lbh027

Ken Heron has a YouTube review for the Vufine
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That was a helpful video. Thank you for posting it.

The surprise was that the picture quality was excellent.

I'd say that the alignment was the most critical issue - mounting on glasses and then attaching an HDMI cable clearly isn't going to work. A headband could solve this problem - with that you might be able to lift the display. Maybe a welders hood?

I'm not sure about his single eye comments - maybe with experience you could get used to it.

I stopped by a hobby store - they said a lot of people are just using very bright displays - I'll look at Amazon and see if I can find something.

Yeah...Mr. Heron usually does a nice video.
You might try eBay for a used tablet with a bright display... I understand that the Nvidia Shield is one of the brightest. I use a Nexus 7 2nd generation...it's a good tablet but you still need a hood with it.

Your age? Almost none of the goggles out there address people over 45 that can not focus on a screen placed 4-6 inches in front of their eyes. The box type headsets have a slight advantage in that you “can” supposedly wear eyeglasses and still slip them on over. But I find that to be extremely awkward and simply a nonstarter.
By far the best solution we have found are Zeiss Cinemizer OLED goggles plugged into the HDMI port of an android tablet such as the Nvidia Shield. These goggles have adjustable focal length, in fact, a separate knob for the left and for the right. and so far all but one “older” person has been able to adjust them for perfect focus. There are three sets of Cinemizers in our club now.
The downside is they are very expensive if you buy them new, probably $800. But you can often find them on eBay in like new condition for about $300-$400. I think a lot of people bought them to use to watch a movie on an airplane, or they had some other use/expectation that didn’t pan out, so there are many out there that are like new in the box.
They accept HDMI or composite analog video inputs. I use them for FPV racing with composite input and digital video with Solo, and probably for some other FPV 1080 technologies on the horizon.
I use the Solex app for Solo, it’s also worth every penny, the dev Lelly Schrock did an amazing job and is still updating it all the time. Of course you can use the goggles with the free stock Solo or Tower apps, but why would.
The Solo transmits 720 video which is a big step up from Analog 4xx line analog. It’s not nearly as nice as DJI 1080 but it’s much nicer than analog.

Cinemizers can do up to 1080 video so they are a very versatile solution. They are also very compact, so it looks like your wearing a fat pair of sunglasses rather than a shoebox which can be important depending where you fly, it’s nice to not draw a lot of attention. :<)

Zeiss stopped producing them a few years ago, but production has restarted, and most spare parts are still available such as a replacement internal battery, cord, $18 each outer lense snaps right in.....if you scratch them or buy a set of goggles that has scratched lenses.
CinemizerOLED | Portable OLED video glasses - Cinemizer Oled

The screens are not as large as some of the newer goggles, so they do not have quite the immersive feel, but you quickly get used to that

Last edited:
We have found the HDMI video output port of the Solo controller to be very unreliable at actually putting out video, we have not found the magic combination of what to turn on in what order and plug-in at a specific time. So most of the time we cannot make the video actually function. It’s probably the most frustrating thing we’ve found when using Solo(s)
So we use the Android tablet HDMI out which works 100% of the time and has the added bonus of seeing the on-screen display information from whatever app you are using.
Just be aware, not all tablets have HDMI out!

Reactions: carpy
(Reply to CinemizerOLED post)

Wow! That's a great idea -- thank you for the detail. (And you are correct about my age, good advice.)

Can you wear glasses with the Cinemizer? Or does it allow you to adjust the focus?

I checked eBay - no immediate joy (just one pair on auction - might try for them).

Who knows, if they have a number of applications beyond FPV, I might just bite the bullet for a new pair.

HMDI port caution - good advice - I was naively counting on the Solo HDMI port to be reliable - so getting the right tablet sounds like a better alternative.

Can not wear glasses, they are about the size of glasses.
They do have separate focus adjustment knobs for left ad right eyes, so no need for glasses.
A decent looking pair on EBay ends in 1 day + 15 hours. Item

If you buy them new, I don’t think they come with the optional light blocking Eye shield which cost about $50. If using indoors for television you don’t need them, but for outdoor use you will need the eye shield. Many used pairs come with them.

New, they come with an HDMI adapter module that snaps onto the controller module. Sometimes if you buy them used you will find a part missing, and of course you need it for HDMI plug. I have seen them for sale separately, or just make sure to ask the seller if it includes the HDMI module.
Can see a photo of the adapter here, scroll down Oscars page
Cinemizer OLED Goggles for FPV? - Oscar Liang

I use this cable with the Shield, you may have a different connector on your phone or tablet. Both the shield tablet and the cinemizers have mini HDMI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EWRFJ0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached is a photo of my Solo field kit. I put the tablet off to the side of my folding chair on a small tripod, I find putting your phone or tablet on the solo drastically cuts your range due to antenna blockage.

Attachments

• 1E945B9B-DCF5-4D52-8AF9-3B624A4AE9F7.jpeg
    1E945B9B-DCF5-4D52-8AF9-3B624A4AE9F7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
This is all I use, even removed the phone/tablet mount from the controller - . Note the correction in the title, should be FPV not PVR. This setup works best when Solo is flying more or less in front of you unless you are using something like a IBCrazy Bluebeam omni antenna or a biquad omni antenna.The latter will give you extended range in all directions and is available on eBay for 19.90 (just ordered and will post results). Bring along one of the kids or grand-kids to be your "eyes on" while you kick back in your Coleman collapsible arm chair and enjoy the show. They've got better eyes than we do anyway, right?

Last edited:
Phillip -

Thanks for pointing out your post - I had searched on 'FPV' before starting this thread.

The way you pulled together those parts is impressive - I'm going to reconsider how I approach this problem.

There's a lot to be said for using the tablet/phone that is running Solex vs another video feed.

KenMc

We have found the HDMI video output port of the Solo controller to be very unreliable at actually putting out video, we have not found the magic combination of what to turn on in what order and plug-in at a specific time. So most of the time we cannot make the video actually function. It’s probably the most frustrating thing we’ve found when using Solo(s)
So we use the Android tablet HDMI out which works 100% of the time and has the added bonus of seeing the on-screen display information from whatever app you are using.
Just be aware, not all tablets have HDMI out!

Last week I posted on this, but don't see it here in the forum. Basically, have everything off, but GoPro can be turned on manually. Set goggles to HDMI (on bottom of goggles). Connect HDMI cable from FatShark goggles to transmitter port on back. Turn on (plug in) goggles, set screen to HDMI 2D, and wait 5-10 seconds for them to read the tx. Turn on the Solo tx and soon a 3DR logo should appear on goggles screen. Turn on Solo and should get video quickly; before gps capture.
I wish it all worked without the cable and adapter, but the 3-footer isn't bad once in flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea