FPV goggles recommendation?

Reaction score
Can anyone personally recommend brand/model FPV goggles w/HDMI for use with the Solo controller?

i´ve used my Playstation VR goggles
but i took a MHL HDMI Adapter and used the usb of my phone, as you have telemetry information as battery status and so on, with the HDMI from the controller you only get the live feed from your gopro

I gave up on looking for FPV goggles earlier this year for several reasons. First, if you are flying by yourself then you have to deal with the issue that many of the controls, such as starting smart shots, require interaction with the monitor and if you are using FPV goggles there is currently no way to get your finger on the screen. The next generation of VR, Daydream and Android Nougat operating phones, with the new Google Daydream goggles may change all that, but it is not clear to me how you will hold the controller, and operate the VR goggle screen controller without a third hand.

Second, there is the pesky FAA and its requirement that the PIC (pilot in command) be in visual line of sight.

But ignoring all that for a second, it is possible to setup a pair of VR goggles for your visual observer to use so at least one of you gets the cool view. It is possible to connect two devices to the controller. The first one connected (say an iPad mini that you will use on the controller) will be the "operational" device to issue the smart shot commands, etc. The second one (say an iPhone to be placed in a pair of cheap VR goggles) will get access to the video feed, but not have operational control. In that case any pair of VR goggles will do (say one of the $20 variety from China on Amazon) and the price is right for playing.

In any case plan this all out before you are in the air, and keep a thumb placed on the RTH or PAUSE button, so if the two screens cause some glitch and destructively interfere with each other you won't send your Solo on a one way mission into a tree. Also be aware that if the Solo initiates RTH it first rises rapidly, so if you are under a tree when this happens you really have a problem.

Last edited:
Another option is to mount a small DC powered monitor on a tripod or light stand connected via HDMI. This will allow you to have the screen at eye height for a more immersive experience, and still have a phone/tablet connected via WiFi for smartshot functionality. I've done this on other platforms very successfully. Readymade RC has some very good products and great customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dustin,

I'm using an Nvidia Shield which has an HDMI port out and Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles. You get a screen mirror of your tablet in the goggles.

Jerry

Dustin,

I'm using an Nvidia Shield which has an HDMI port out and Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles. You get a screen mirror of your tablet in the goggles.

Jerry
Interesting! Does the 3DR Solo app for the Shield contain all the capabilities of the IOS version?

The iOS version has a couple extra features (like shows a pin in the live video of the home location), but both are very similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle