Found a 3DR Solo bundle locally...

Reaction score
I saw the bestbuy.com deal for $199 and still had the spare battery I got from when I originally ordered the solo pre-sale and extra battery (they sent it to me even though I cancelled my order yay) for $2100!

I'm happy to finally have one, I have not flown it yet, I got the backpack bundle with the 2 batts and extra blades etc. I just ordered a Hero3 Silver off ebay then I'll be ready to fly!

I'm planning to use a spare LG g3 mounted on top of the remote instead of my LG G5, any opinions on that? should I use a really fast phone for the controller/video phone? I also have a iphone 5s if iOS works better for some reason. Advice would be great.

Unfortunately they just announced all these drone rules in Canada, but I'm more than 9km from the airport thank god.

So I have a few questions from experienced pilots...

1. I'm guessing that all control is done through wifi, if I was going to do orbit or selfie and go do some skateboarding or dirtbiking or something, do I just keep the phone in my pocket or do I need to strap the whole remote to me?
2. What happens if the drone goes out of range? does it remember where "home" (takeoff location?) is and come back until it gets signal?
3. What are the top 3 hazards I need to avoid and be aware of? I'm g uessing tall trees and power lines are probably #1 but advice would be great.
4. Does anyone launch from something like a backyard and pilot their drones out of sight? like a mission pre defined by GPS? I heard there's s/w for that.

Thanks!

Mike P

Congrats on the new purchase.

Search on the forums here for Hero 3 Silver. May take some firmware change to get it to work. The Hero 3+ BLACK and the Hero 4 work with full functionality.

1. It tracks your transmitter
2. You need to set up failsafe parameters so that if it flies out of range of the transmitter it will return to home automatically. It sets the home point when you arm.
3. 1: trees. 2: trees. 3: trees. Others cite their own hazards, but trees are the bane of my flying.
4. I launch off the deck on the back of my house. Apps like Tower (Android) and SidePilot (iPhone) can set waypoint missions for your Solo to fly autonomously.

Reactions: RichWest
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the 3DRPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in 3DR quadcopter’s. If your new to RC aircraft be sure to read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.

Enjoy!

I saw the bestbuy.com deal for $199 and still had the spare battery I got from when I originally ordered the solo pre-sale and extra battery (they sent it to me even though I cancelled my order yay) for $2100!

I'm happy to finally have one, I have not flown it yet, I got the backpack bundle with the 2 batts and extra blades etc. I just ordered a Hero3 Silver off ebay then I'll be ready to fly!

I'm planning to use a spare LG g3 mounted on top of the remote instead of my LG G5, any opinions on that? should I use a really fast phone for the controller/video phone? I also have a iphone 5s if iOS works better for some reason. Advice would be great.

Unfortunately they just announced all these drone rules in Canada, but I'm more than 9km from the airport thank god.

So I have a few questions from experienced pilots...

1. I'm guessing that all control is done through wifi, if I was going to do orbit or selfie and go do some skateboarding or dirtbiking or something, do I just keep the phone in my pocket or do I need to strap the whole remote to me?
2. What happens if the drone goes out of range? does it remember where "home" (takeoff location?) is and come back until it gets signal?
3. What are the top 3 hazards I need to avoid and be aware of? I'm g uessing tall trees and power lines are probably #1 but advice would be great.
4. Does anyone launch from something like a backyard and pilot their drones out of sight? like a mission pre defined by GPS? I heard there's s/w for that.

Thanks!

Mike P
Welcome aboard. Be sure to download the Solo manual, and refer to it often. It has a lot of info in it you will need to know. I believe the best you may be able to do with the GoPro 3 Silver, is to get video feed. If you can get the feed, you will have to start/stop recording manually before takeoff, and after landing. Like Madheadspace said, the 3+ Black, and the 4 Silver & Black are the only GoPro's with full camera functionality. Good luck, and fly safe.

Thanks for the input folks! gopro arrives soon then ill fly her.

Should i open it up and check which gps module i have? Is it a huge deal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela