Folding props for SOLO...

Reaction score
is there or has it been tried to possibly mount collapsing / folding props....
sorry if that sounds ridiculous but new to the forum and thought to ask

would anyone like to see it?

There is a video on you tube showing a guy with folding props.

You will find that although folding props would be a great idea that the market has dried up. All the folding prop solutions on Youtube are not available anymore. I found some hubs and the only props, cheap ones, I could find on Aliexpress but they were useless and flexed all over the place. It flew but just barely.

Yes... I watch YouTube and the reason I’m asking is because - it is the past and no one is supplying - so my question reflects the NOW...
Appreciate it!!!

Also we will the batteries die out and leave supporters looking for powering alternative rather than pay apocalyptic prices for obsolete parts that sat on a shelf for 2-3 years

I thinking expectations only warrant if the manufacturer is flying one themselves , otherwise why waste resources on it
Like why doesn’t anyone make games for the Atari 2600 because there’s an alive group of supporters who still play- REALITY

Master your Google Foo and you will find the gemfan hubs and gemfan folding blades both of which are sold through HobbyKing. Blades are relatively easy to find hubs not so much. Search any of my posts here to find pictures attached to most displaying this setup. I've had great success and no issues to speak of.

Reactions: CAMXPOSURE
Master your Google Foo and you will find the gemfan hubs and gemfan folding blades both of which are sold through HobbyKing. Blades are relatively easy to find hubs not so much. Search any of my posts here to find pictures attached to most displaying this setup. I've had great success and no issues to speak of.
CNC74 <---- I'm taking this you do machining.... HOME or OCCUPATON??

I've also been struggling to find folding props. Doubt they would fly any better, but I'd like the convenience of keeping them installed and they tend to give a bit on collisions and break less than standard props. I also figure that when a prop breaks, it will typically be just one blade and the economics of doing that seem a little better versus traditional props (~$20 for 8 blades vs 4 props means I might be able to do more repairs per $ spent).

After much searching I found a set of 4 at a reasonable price on eBay.
4X 2-Blade 9443 Propeller Carbon Fiber Folding Self Lock Props For DJI Phantom 3 | eBay
Granted, I doubt very much that these will truly be carbon fiber at that price, and the smaller diameter (9.4 vs 10 inch) and lower pitch means the motors will have to spin a bit faster.

In reality, the aluminum blade holders are what I value. I can certainly buy improved replacement blades.

Not betting the farm on this but figured it was worth a try. Will report back if these work out.

Reactions: CAMXPOSURE
Hello BrentJackson, any report on these props? are they worth it?

Thanks

I took some photos and video with the intention of doing a comprehensive report, but here is the "very quick" version:
  • Blades seem to be actual carbon fiber in spite of the low price. Very stiff and strong.
  • Holes in blades were too snug to allow movement against screw. Easily fixed with a small file.
  • 1/2 inch shorter prop length than standard Solo props and blade area is significantly smaller. When flying it was obvious that motors ran at higher RPMs. Probably would drive parameter modifications for optimized flight.
  • Aluminum hubs appear well made. IMHO they are deeper than necessary, requiring 2 Teflon spacers to prevent blades from flopping. Typical Mavic and Spark folding props have a flatter cross section.
  • Balance testing showed 3 of 4 props came well balanced. Flew without any balancing.
  • Solo fits nicely in solo backpack with folding props installed, but would not fit in standard fiber and Velcro case that ships with solos.
  • Significantly more noisy in flight than standard props or Master Airscrew. It's a trade-off for time savings. Was also a little wobbly when first taking off under automated flight, but that stabilized quickly.
  • Can't comment on relative handling as I used automated flight path for testing. Flew just as accurately with folding and standard props.
  • No flight time tests. My expectation is that without adjusting parameters that flight time would be reduced with folding props.
  • Didn't test for increased camera vibration.
  • No crashes so can't vouch for durability.
This probably sounds knit-picky. A better indication might be that I liked them enough to buy 3 more sets.

Amazing data buddy! thank you so much.

So far this is the most comprehensive "short" report I have found.

I'll get one set just for fun.

I appreciate your time here.

I took some photos and video with the intention of doing a comprehensive report, but here is the "very quick" version:
  • Blades seem to be actual carbon fiber in spite of the low price. Very stiff and strong.
  • Holes in blades were too snug to allow movement against screw. Easily fixed with a small file.
  • 1/2 inch shorter prop length than standard Solo props and blade area is significantly smaller. When flying it was obvious that motors ran at higher RPMs. Probably would drive parameter modifications for optimized flight.
  • Aluminum hubs appear well made. IMHO they are deeper than necessary, requiring 2 Teflon spacers to prevent blades from flopping. Typical Mavic and Spark folding props have a flatter cross section.
  • Balance testing showed 3 of 4 props came well balanced. Flew without any balancing.
  • Solo fits nicely in solo backpack with folding props installed, but would not fit in standard fiber and Velcro case that ships with solos.
  • Significantly more noisy in flight than standard props or Master Airscrew. It's a trade-off for time savings. Was also a little wobbly when first taking off under automated flight, but that stabilized quickly.
  • Can't comment on relative handling as I used automated flight path for testing. Flew just as accurately with folding and standard props.
  • No flight time tests. My expectation is that without adjusting parameters that flight time would be reduced with folding props.
  • Didn't test for increased camera vibration.
  • No crashes so can't vouch for durability.
This probably sounds knit-picky. A better indication might be that I liked them enough to buy 3 more sets.
I know that this has probably been answered but I can't seem to find it. Just to be clear, these folding props come on aluminum hubs that fit the stock Solo motors without any mods other than the teflon inserts you mentioned? Have you had any luck finding compatible blade replacements closer to the stock blade size?
SKuhn68

I know that this has probably been answered but I can't seem to find it. Just to be clear, these folding props come on aluminum hubs that fit the stock Solo motors without any mods other than the teflon inserts you mentioned? Have you had any luck finding compatible blade replacements closer to the stock blade size?
SKuhn68

Hi there,

Yes, the aluminum hubs fit the (4.5mm) threads on the stock motors without modification. For clarity, the Teflon inserts are to allow the folding blades to rotate out with centrifugal force while having less play in the aluminum mounts.

Since I did t find the trade-off of foldable blades simplifying my setup to be worth it IMHO for slightly poorer flight characteristics (again, I did no tuning), I am continuing to fly with masterprops for the time being.

I have not looked for longer replacement folding blades.

Hi there,

Yes, the aluminum hubs fit the (4.5mm) threads on the stock motors without modification. For clarity, the Teflon inserts are to allow the folding blades to rotate out with centrifugal force while having less play in the aluminum mounts.

Since I did t find the trade-off of foldable blades simplifying my setup to be worth it IMHO for slightly poorer flight characteristics (again, I did no tuning), I am continuing to fly with masterprops for the time being.

I have not looked for longer replacement folding blades.
Thank you for the quick reply, that is what I needed to know. I am a brand new owner of a Solo previously owned by a flying buddy of mine. (gave me a smoking deal on it.) And I have already managed to break the two extra props that I got with it, so I am looking for more reasonable alternatives to the stock props. I think I have found several, I just wanted to verify a few things before I pulled the trigger. Thanks again,
SKuhn68

Yep, been there.
Master Prop sells what I feel are the best stock-alike props at a reasonable price.

Hoping you will take the following suggestion as intended (n the spirit of hoping you won't recreate some of my spectacular crashes): it would be beneficial to get some hours on the Solo flight simulator just to get a feel for things. Even with FPV, it takes a while to orient oneself.

All the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40