Foating solo

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
So are you running a green cube and arducopter master utilizing boat mode? The reason I'm asking is, "if the water were choppy enough you might find it difficult to rearm once landed causing you to potentially lose the Solo as it drifts off into the sunset...back to China".

So are you running a green cube and arducopter master utilizing boat mode? The reason I'm asking is, "if the water were choppy enough you might find it difficult to rearm once landed causing you to potentially lose the Solo as it drifts off into the sunset...back to China".
Yes, running with green cube in boat mode. I moved all of my antenna wires up higher on the legs, and compass also

First of all thumbs up! I think that's something the solo could benefit from.
I've seen a few people do this, but it raises some questions. From the other examples I've seen, people have been doing this without a gimbal attached. Would it be worth your while making a clear gimbal cover to stop water splashes from prop wash? Or is the take off and landing sufficiently smooth not to represent a risk in this area?
How do the floats affect handling, flight times etc?

First of all thumbs up! I think that's something the solo could benefit from.
I've seen a few people do this, but it raises some questions. From the other examples I've seen, people have been doing this without a gimbal attached. Would it be worth your while making a clear gimbal cover to stop water splashes from prop wash? Or is the take off and landing sufficiently smooth not to represent a risk in this area?
How do the floats affect handling, flight times etc?
Take off and landing is very smooth. I have been getting ten to 15 minute flight times. I fly on calm days. I am too afraid to get the gimbal wet. The floats do not affect the flight at all. My usb plug is sealed to camera case with silicon. No problem with water on camera or plug.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
It's interesting to watch, I was thinking about designing floats, rails or even a wider "foot" for landing in snow or sand but wasn't sure how it would affect the flight characteristics. So glad to hear back from someone who has done a pool noodle conversion and has seen how the bird handles afterwards. Good job and keep up the tinkering!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela