Foating solo. Flying over water

Reaction score
Put some floats on my solo today. Water tested in tub. It floats very well and is stable. I moved antennas up higher and compass. I will pit water proof housing on camera. It flies great. I will post some film from the bay area later. Very happy with results.
2857513a0e86fe0017d059841cf687e6.jpg
91d5817b2787361ea04e3ad5442e8f09.jpg

Silicone conformal coating will help keep your boards protected from posture and dust.
They sell if for $18 on Amazon.
I also took the waterproof housing for the GoPro, cut and chiseled at certain spots to get the feed cable to fit in and still put a really dense piece of foam around it to keep water out.

Best of luck to you

Put some floats on my solo today. Water tested in tub. It floats very well and is stable. I moved antennas up higher and compass. I will pit water proof housing on camera. It flies great. I will post some film from the bay area later. Very happy with results.

Are you planning on landing on the water? What is the scenario you are trying to protect against?

I think you've come up with an excellent idea for emergency water landing. Now the only issue I see is trying to retrieve it.
Might be hard because the water isn't stable and the solo needs stabilization to take off, unfortunately.
But none the less. Very awesome idea.

I think you've come up with an excellent idea for emergency water landing. Now the only issue I see is trying to retrieve it.
Might be hard because the water isn't stable and the solo needs stabilization to take off, unfortunately.

I agree, good job

These are 15 inch long cut pool noodles. Leave about 2 inches from front of noodle to legs. Cut out at an angle in front, so it will not interfere with camera. Put camera on medium mode. Use picture frame wire between legs. Tie foam on with plastic cable ties

Split noodle down one side to go over wire. Cut out about 2 inches out of bottom noodle to fit snug against upper noodle also. Place a wire in the middle for support.

Maybe we can install the green cube and take off from water..

Good idea, no tip-overs too and it would make the Solo more stable landing on dry land too.

Nice job. May try something like this myself as most of my flying is over water or marshland.

Gary
I'll have to ditto the first reply.
From personal experience -- I did that with my Traxxas Aton. Worked perfect until I took off. I was in a narrow slip , tapped a pileing with one of the props and it flipped upside down. Saved the gimbel , but the camera and Aton were trashed. Atons don't like water and I'm not going to try it with my beloved Solo
Bill

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you change the safety check to zero using tower it will launch again off the water even if it is rocking as long as it was powered up while stable. without safeties on you could have other problems that would cause a crash.

6" crab pot buoys work very well and have a plastic tube that will slip firmly onto legs which give you more standoff. I sprayed "fluid film" which is a anti corrosion product onto all circuit boards and motor pods to make them last longer around salt water.

I flew today with no problems. I landed and took off from the water twice. The solo is very stable. I installed the waterproof housing on the camera also. I sprayed silicon conformal coating on all electronics. I will post video later. It is too windy today.

Those crab pot buoys look very interesting. If I set my camera to medium, I do not get floats on camera view. Let us see if others may have some more ideas. Thanks for all the input guys. We are still inventing.

Those crab pot buoys look very interesting. If I set my camera to medium, I do not get floats on camera view. Let us see if others may have some more ideas. Thanks for all the input guys. We are still inventing.
I put several gopro mounts in series and have the camera sticks out past now to give a clear view now. mine is flown backwards in a sense since I am working on filming a good game fish strike on a lure. the float that is on the release clip is towards front to counterweight camera. post strike the plan is to just land it on the water. We have had vicious winds in the keys lately as well as the main focus of recreation has been on catching lionfish via scuba with my off time. im hopeful some drone time will line up next week.

Lots of fun filming over water. I will film some water skiing next week

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela