Flying Solo off the grid - suggestions?

Reaction score
I'm new to drones but a longtime wilderness paddler.
Next adventure has me up in northern Canada and off the grid for 9 days...with my new Solo with gimbal and a GP4B. Seaplane drops me into a lake in the middle of nowhere.

I'm interested to learn from other Solo pilots who have done this or something like it.

Specifically, got any recommendations on:
1) battery count? I'm planning 4.
2) solar recharging? thinking of solutions from Goal Zero, Voltaic Systems, and Suaoki. Recommendation?
3) source of male plug for drone battery (damn these are hard to find!)?
4) waterproofing of drone: any small steps to increase hardiness in case of moisture?
5) Cases: LowePro vs Manfrotto vs Pelican vs ??
6) shooting wilderness rivers - smart shots or all manual?
7) Solo app vs Solex?
8) priority mods or upgrades? controller antennas, GPS upgrade, extended legs, prop guards, etc.
9) essential spare parts: props and .... ??
10) tricks for landing on a moving canoe?

Thanks!!

Yeah....I thought about the Mavic.
What are the key features, besides folding up, that you think make it a better choice?

Just as background, unlike backpacking, canoe trips are not so sensitive to weight & volume.
Except for portages!!

I canoed the BWCA and portaged. If you have the space for the solo then you should be find.

10) Hover, then grab the back left leg and hold throttle sick down till motors power down. Do this regularly as I usually have a camera hanging below the legs.

10) Hover, then grab the back left leg and hold throttle sick down till motors power down. Do this regularly as I usually have a camera hanging below the legs.

Thanks!!
I'm putting that one on my weekend practice list!!

I really do like my solo, however if you've got cash to burn, I would recommend something smaller and more portable (and with longer flying time). However, since you already have the solo, might as well make the most of it. A not recommended spare (but may be essential if you're in the middle of nowhere) will be superglue and very strong tape. I'm planning a day trip to the middle of nowhere soon, I have 4 spare batteries and honestly, I'm thinking of buying more (and that's just a day trip). Even with a large ass generator, I still don't want to have to wait that long for the batteries to charge. Smart shots for high altitudes (avoiding tree height) manual for lower altitudes. 100% recommend you get to grips with Solex, it does everything the solo app does and a whole lot more on top of that.

How about bringing a regular 12V car battery and a 12V to 110V transformer? Then you wont have to alter your 3DR charger. Cheap solution and low tech :) Should give you about 10 to 12 charges from full 65Ah 12V battery if solo battery is near 0% when starting charge. If that is not enough, then perhaps add a 12V solar panel.

Jorgen

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela