Flying from 31st floor

Reaction score
I live in the 31st floor and my Solo doesn't get sattelites even in the balcony...
Is it safe to fly it several meters away out of the balcony until it find sattelites and then to run a mission? (Assuming that I will return it back manually)
Actually, is it going to search for sattelites after I fly it away in manual mode?

No, that is not safe to do. It will eventually pickup a GPS lock, and the home location will then be wherever it is when it gets that lock. So the return home function and failsafes will cause it to crash into whatever happens to below at that location. Furthermore, I highly doubt the area surrounding a highrise building is a safe flying area. You should absolutely not fly there. You need to be flying in a safe and open area.

You are right, It's actually a no flying zone... but wanted to know out of curiosity.

What you want to do will work just fine. Just put it in manual flight mode then fly out till you get GPS and hit the FLY button. The point where the Solo got a GPS lock will become the Home point.

What you want to do will work just fine. Just put it in manual flight mode then fly out till you get GPS and hit the FLY button. The point where the Solo got a GPS lock will become the Home point.
No, it is not just fine. Read what I posted, and please don't give dangerous advice to new users.

Reactions: CAMXPOSURE
No, that is not what was asked. Read.

32244f24d7124bcbd0a1cf5a85df03ab.jpg

Apparently you still haven't actually read his question.
Capture.JPG

So again, please do not give unsafe and bad advice to newbies.

Reactions: DJMc
Fair enough, just seemed like the intent of the question was to know if it was even feasible. So you’re right, certainly sounds like an unsafe thing to try without some type if safety measures in place.

He's in a area he describes as a no-fly zone. It's a populated urban area surrounded by people. There are no safety measures to take, it's a no-go, plain and simple.

There are always safety measures and precautions you can take, along with waivers or authorizations from the FAA you can obtain to fly in places like that. So yes there is a way to do it safety if someone wanted to.

It's good to know everything and understand the reasons behind the risk...
There were a bunch of things the one should consider (in addition to all what you mentioned here)...
1. The wind could be insanely strong once the drone pass the tower edge.
2. The metal of the tower and the balcony fence seems interfere with compass.
3. And the most important than losing my drone or crash it... I knew today that the fine for violation is us$7000 and can be arrested!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea