FLY

Reaction score
Hi,

Do I need a license or permission to fly the 3DR SOLO in the state of Indianapolis, Indiana?

Thanks...

Once you get the license - you may want to consider the location you want to fly in - The Indianapolis airport is Class C airport.
Below is a DATED (not current) - TAC. Flying in Class C airspace requires authorization from Air Traffic Control.

I spoke with a Best Buy clerk last week - they are getting Drones returned because they refuse to fly. I got the impression the drone was programmed to check airspace restrictions - but I could be mistaken. But I think the industry is headed in that direction.

It's a good idea to join the AMA and fly at one of their locations:

Academy of Model Aeronautics

Below the image is a quote from the FAA on airspace restrictions --
indpls_classc.jpg

Class C Airspace

Class C airspace is generally airspace from the surface to 4,000 feet above the airport elevation (charted in MSL) surrounding those airports that have an operational control tower, are serviced by a radar approach control, and have a certain number of instrument flight rules (IFR) operations or passenger enplanements. Although the configuration of each Class C area is individually tailored, the airspace usually consists of a surface area with a five nautical mile (NM) radius, an outer circle with a ten NM radius that extends from 1,200 feet to 4,000 feet above the airport elevation. A remote pilot must receive authorization before operating in Class C airspace.

Class D Airspace

Class D airspace is generally airspace from the surface to 2,500 feet above the airport elevation (charted in MSL) surrounding those airports that have an operational control tower. The configuration of each Class D airspace area is individually tailored and, when instrument procedures are published, the airspace is normally designed to contain the procedures. Arrival extensions for instrument approach procedures (IAPs) may be Class D or Class E airspace. A remote pilot must receive ATC authorization before operating in Class D airspace.

Hope this is helpful.

KenMc

You need to register with the FAA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but...I was under the impression the FAA gave up on requiring the drone be registered. (Except for those drones being used commercially, and then a pilot certificate is also required.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea