Reaction score
I went flying with a friend of mine who has a P3. I was proud of most every attribute of my Solo (flying manually in the Solo App) until he opened an app on his iPhone and was able to show a Google Map sat view with an overlay of the flight path he just flew on his P3. It played in real-time or sped up as he desired. OK, now I've got "replay envy." He didn't have to do any FTP transfers or conversions, he just started the app right after the flight and there it was. We were actually talking with a possible future client and this really seemed to impress the client. Does anyone have an app for the Solo App that will do the same? If not, will I be stuck with flying using Tower? (Not that it's bad but I've had some erratic behaviour in Tower so I'm a little gunshy.)

Last edited:
I went flying with a friend of mine who has a P3. I was proud of most every attribute of my Solo until he opened an app on his iPhone and was able to show a Google Map sat view with an overlay of the flight path he just flew on his P3. It played in real-time or sped up as he desired. OK, now I've got "replay envy." He didn't have to do any FTP transfers or conversions, he just started the app right after the flight and there it was. We were actually talking with a possible future client and this really seemed to impress the client. Does anyone have an app for the Solo that will do the same?
I I do agree that this is one place the Go app shines. Unfortunately, it doesn't have many options, and getting into the logs (other than this) yourself. It is good ffor showing where you went, but is not very functional for dignostics. There are a few options currently with solo for visualizing logs.

Tower. will "step" through logs/flights and already has the logs. In Tower you can "step" through the flight, and see that on a map, but it doesn't currently "play" the logs like the Go app does. It is very functional, but not as snazzy.

Another option for playing flights is Mission Planner. It does a great job of "playing" flights/logs and actually has many more options than the Go app for playing flights. You can play your flight on a map, and at the same time (as an example) graph a host of values, such as altitude, stick input, motor output, etc. visually and simultaneously .

You do have to download the log, but the software connects to the Solo via the wireless network and the download is pretty trivial. You can also run MP on both a PC (with a large screen) and on a Surface Pro tablet if you want to be mobile.

My "guess" is that the Tower app will get more playback functions over time, though I don't know that for a fact.

Hope it helps...

Reactions: baldguy
Earldgrayjr, your input is GREATLY appreciated and well said. If you fly a mission in Tower, will MP be able to use that flight log to replay a mission?

Yes. For Solo the Telemetry Logs (tlogs) are on the craft, as well as in Tower if you use that. They can be played by Mission Planner regardless of where you get them.

There are a number of ways to get them, from emailing them to yourself, to connecting the tablet to the PC via USB. On simple way is to start a trouble ticket while connected to the Solo. It creates an email with a zip attachment that has your last three flights in it (among other things). Instead of sending it to 3DR just put in your own address.

On the Mission Planner tablet/machine you can just opemn the email, open the zip, and doubkleclick on the one file that ends in .tlog. That is your last flight. You can also asscociate the extension of the other two (.tlog1 and .tlog2) to Mission Planner, and after that, just double click on any of the three files in the zip.

It opens mission Planner, and Opens that file in it. From there, head to the "telemetry" tab (middle left) and hit play. If you want to graph parameters while playing, select the "tuning" checkbox (bottom center) and select which value(s) you want to see. It also has an Artificial Horizon display, a dashboard, and a HUD (Heads Up Display) for altitude, speed, errors, etc.

Much more there, but that is a start :)

The ONE thing I wish it had (are you listening developers?) is an animated sticks "widget" on a tab (like the dashboard) that woukd dynamically play back the stick inputs while playing the file like the Go app does. As it is, you can graph them, and that works, but isn't quite as "pretty" :)

Reactions: baldguy
OK, I found the log files on my Nexus 7; all 106 of them. I've only used Tower a few times but evidently these tlogs are made no matter what app is used. In case anyone is looking for them on a Nexus 7, they can be found at Android/data/org.droidplanner.services.android/files/tlogs/com.o3dr.solos.android.
I was able to download them to the PC and run Mission Planner as mentioned. Creating the KML + gpx was pretty simple by clicking on the [DataFlash Logs] then selecting the [Create KML+gpx] button. Once that file was created, it just took a simple drag and drop into Google Earth. It's pretty slick, but I'll have to agree with Earldgrayjr it is still not as slick and simple as the Go App for the Phantom. I still have App envy.

Reactions: PdxSteve
Not exactly the same thing as you are asking for, but if you use Tower and create an account, you are uploading your data to droneshare.com, then you can review the your flights there. You can also set your privacy settings to allow others from seeing your flights.

If you use a cell phone to run your tower app you can upload the data right in the field.

There is a nice mapping and 3d mapping function there.

It needs some work, but some of it is pretty cool.

Im pretty sure this feature has been discussed as something they would get around to doing.

OK, I found the log files on my Nexus 7; all 106 of them. I've only used Tower a few times but evidently these tlogs are made no matter what app is used. In case anyone is looking for them on a Nexus 7, they can be found at Android/data/org.droidplanner.services.android/files/tlogs/com.o3dr.solos.android.
I was able to download them to the PC and run Mission Planner as mentioned. Creating the KML + gpx was pretty simple by clicking on the [DataFlash Logs] then selecting the [Create KML+gpx] button. Once that file was created, it just took a simple drag and drop into Google Earth. It's pretty slick, but I'll have to agree with Earldgrayjr it is still not as slick and simple as the Go App for the Phantom. I still have App envy.
Thanks for the file location. I believe it's the same on all droid devices though and not specific to a brand/model.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc