First time Pilot, just won a Solo

Reaction score
Hi, name is uli2000 and I live in the middle of nowhere, Nevada. The school my two youngest kids go to was selling raffle ticket in support of the STEM/science fair program and grand prize was a Solo. Just found out I was the winner! Happy to help out the school but even happier to get started with sUAS/drones. I'm pretty technical with background in computers and RF/radio, but feel like starting from scratch here. Just won the vanilla Solo so gotta at least pick up a go pro before I start flying and hope to pick up a gimble soon as well. Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Well Congratulations on you winning your Solo. If you have any questions, ask the guys on this forum- there is a lot of Solo knowledge here. Do yourself a favor, and start looking for that gimbal as soon as possible-,that may be your hardest acquisition! And when you can, get at least one additional battery. While you are learning, find a large field with very little overhead interference- it will make life a lot more simplistic. Enjoy.

Well just like a free boat, I'm discovering a free Solo isn't so free. After confirming that the GoPro I have at the house isn't compatible, I purchased a Hero4 Black, and figured while I'm in a spending mood to get a gimble and extra battery while I'm at it. Hope the wife doesn't pay too much attention to the credit card bill!

She may holler a little- but once you're out flying around, you'll forget all about it. Heck, most of us have multiple Solos, numerous gimbals and plenty of batteries!!!! Have fun!

Well just like a free boat, I'm discovering a free Solo isn't so free. After confirming that the GoPro I have at the house isn't compatible, I purchased a Hero4 Black, and figured while I'm in a spending mood to get a gimble and extra battery while I'm at it. Hope the wife doesn't pay too much attention to the credit card bill!

Yeah, but isn't that like the wife buying $1000 in clothes at a sale, then justifying it because she "saved" $500 from the sale?!? :D Enjoy flying the Solo. It's an amazing drone.

I don't say a word- just pick up the ipad and look up B&H-

I own a 2005 LJ, with a 5.7 Hemi and 15,000 miles-

While you're in the spending mood, look up the Brite Lite system on this site - made for Solo and a killer addition.

yup. maddog makes them- hardly an expense @ less than $100! But it sure lightens up your Solo!

Will look into the bright lite system. Got the gimble installed tonight and she's ready for her maiden flight tomorrow!

Congrats on your win and good luck with the first flight, my first flight was back in December when i got my solo and it was such an exciting time to get it in the air. Have fun

Congratulations!
As you read through these forums, you will hear MANY people would be very excited for you, and some that think you would've won the raffle if you DIDN'T win the Solo. ;)

Best advice I can give - print (and read/carry) the manual, fly within sight, be careful and consider, and search this forum extensively before asking a question that may have WAY more content and input when it was asked the first time. Lots of REALLY smart people here (I am man not one of them, by the way, when it comes to Solo), but I really respect the guys on here that know SO much, and share (happily, if you did your homework first).
Glad to have you - I am betting you will be one of the happy pilots! Especially given your cost to entry.

Congrats on your new toy ,as many have given you tips may I as well give you one to ,the best thing I did to my solo is to upgrade the gps ,it's the best money spent ,it has kept me from crashing so much [emoji4]saving money on propellers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela