First crash :/ will this effect my warranty?

Reaction score
Hi guys new to the group and to flying Solo. I've been a phantom 3 pilot for about 2 years with no crashes. I flew my Solo today in very fast mode...that was my first mistake, I didn't realize quite how much faster/responsive that would make my drone. I also flew through some tree cover which caused me to loose some GPS signal and I noticed slightly erratic flying like it couldn't hold position very well. I was trying to get the bird back to me when I made a wrong turn which was just enough in fast mode to fly it into a tree. Luckily I was only a few feet off the ground and not going very fast. I have to say I am impressed with the durability of the drone. As soon as it crashed I held down the fly button to turn off the props. I found it on its side in the bushes...doh!!! I was expecting to find a broken arm or landing foot or damaged gimbal or GoPro. To my surprise the only visible damage was a small chip in one of the prop blades. I changed out the prop, gave the drone a good look over for anything else broken or scratched. All looked good! The Gimbal and everything else seems to function normally with out any issues. I put the speed back to medium and brought it to a safe location to test fly at low altitude. Everything went well and I think I got very lucky that nothing worse happened. With all that said will this impact my warranty if I ever have an issue? I mean if 5 months from now the bird just drops out of the sky or decides not to boot up will 3dr say the crash has voided my warranty? The app asked if I wanted to create a ticket and I said no because the drone seemed to work fine.
I actually plan to upgrade my GPS to the Mro gps which I already purchased. I know that will void my warranty but I was kinda hoping that if the drone ever did take a crap I could just install the OEM gps back in and send it in for repair if still within the year. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
A crash report is created by Solo, regardless that you made a ticket or not. So yes it could influence any future warranty claim, as they would ask for files that would then confirm your crash. But say 5 months has gone by and 100 flights later, it's unlikely they could reference this crash as the reason...

3DR has been good about hardware failures and warranty up to this point. Not sure how they are today or even into the future. I voided my warranty after a month of ownership, so I've never worried about how they handle warranty claims.

Reactions: Splocal
Should not be a problem, but I think you are putting too much value in the warranty. 3DR is out of the consumer drone business, and frankly I'm surprised that they do honor the warranty as well as the do.
Solo packages are selling for $400, which is an incredible value (that is why I have 6). Buy a "parts" Solo, and you can be independent of OEM support. This forum will take care of you.
Also read the manual. The emergency kill switch action is A+B+Pause not pressing the Fly button.

Reactions: Splocal
Should not be a problem, but I think you are putting too much value in the warranty. 3DR is out of the consumer drone business, and frankly I'm surprised that they do honor the warranty as well as the do.
Solo packages are selling for $400, which is an incredible value (that is why I have 6). Buy a "parts" Solo, and you can be independent of OEM support. This forum will take care of you.
Also read the manual. The emergency kill switch action is A+B+Pause not pressing the Fly button.

Thanks, your probably right about the faith in the warranty. Solo is super affordable which is why I decided to jump in. A $1500 drone now selling for a fraction of the original cost. I may buy a parts drone just to have on hand that's good advice.
Ya I went through the manual pretty thoroughly but I guess I kinda panicked and the first thing that came to mind was to hold down fly. hopefully I never do that again :/ I'm back in medium speed which I'm much more comfortable with.

. I voided my warranty after a month of ownership, so I've never worried about how they handle warranty claims.
How did you void your warranty if you don't mind me asking? I'm planning to install all the mro gps which I'm pretty sure will void it. I wonder if the log will know the gps has been changed?

How did you void your warranty if you don't mind me asking? I'm planning to install all the mro gps which I'm pretty sure will void it. I wonder if the log will know the gps has been changed?
That has been discussed previously, unless the component contributed to the failure, warranty would be covered.

Like Andrew said, "I think you are putting too much value in the warranty." You're just getting a refurb'ed bird back, if they did cover...and time wasted waiting for the exchange. No dig on 3DR, it is, what it is...

And like you said, "Solo is super affordable which is why I decided to jump in. A $1500 drone now selling for a fraction of the original cost." Learn how to repair your bird and you'll be fine, it was designed to be mod'd and maintained with ease. Plenty of help on the forum, just search or ask.

My void, I think I carved off a portion of the main board support to free up the hdmi cable. A few months later upgraded the motors and props. Solid bird and fun to fly.

Thanks Rich,
I hear you both, thanks for the feedback, I won't put too much hope in 3dr for any repairs. Like I said in my original post I've had a Phantom 3 for a few years, way out of warranty and never had an issue, just wanted to have a realistic idea of what if anything I could expect from 3dr. Another reason I bought the 3dr is because it is upgradable and easier to work on. My P3S does not have GLONASS GPS. Living in Hawaii I sometimes fly in pretty remote locations and we have lots of clouds all the time. I can't upgrade to GLONASS with the DJI but 3dr is a totally different story. I appreciate your input and look forward to flying this bird allot more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo