Finally happened - Controller and apps won't connect to Solo anymore

Reaction score
After all this time never having any issues, my Solo finally seems busted. I flew it this weekend with no issues.

I was messing around with it tonight, everything was all hookedup and working fine, I was triyng to get the HDMI cable to work with my FatShark FPV goggles. Realized I needed to hook up the googles power last, so I turned everything off and recycled, and since then my controller, phone, tablets, etc will not connect to Solo anymore.

Solo boots up seems fine, controll always stays "waiting for Solo". Phones or apps will connect via Wi-Fi but the 3DR Solo app doesn't recognize its connected.

Nothing changed at all that would have caused this. I know people who had to send their Solo's in for replacements due to this same issue. My last resort is a factory reset if thats even possible but I know that didn't work for others this happened to.

Anyone got any ideas

Did you try repairing it?
Also if you want anything on the hdmi port to work it has to be powered on and connected to controller prior to powering on the controller

Yes I am aware of the HDMI port issues, but the problem is that everything stopped connecting.

I have not tried any "repair" yet I've been troubleshooting for the past hour or so. I've tried everything the Controller and any phones/tablets will not connect anymore.

I do notice some noise coming from the Solo, not the gimbal. Its like the computer inside is making lots of little buzzing noises. Not sure whats going on

I would start with pairing
Also if you have not tried it yet, pull the battery on the controller for 10 sec or so before repairing

Reactions: Badzilla
Crisis avoided - after pulling the battery it actually connects now. Saw the red light inside the controller before I pulled the battery though, and that was concerning but it seems fine now again *shrug*

For the record is there any special process to re-pairing?

Last edited:
I went through the factory reset twice before I got mine to find solo. Their is a reset proceder to follow from 3dr. I found the address on this forum for the 3dr reset procedure.

Pyrate: So I need to have my FPV goggles powered on and plugged in to HDMI in the controller BEFORE turning on the Solo and Controller and connecting the two? The FatShark manual seemed to state the opposite but either way:

Whenever I keep trying to use the HDMI port and re-powering everything up, something happens to the controller that stops it from connecting to the Solo. The red light inside the controller will stay on even when its powered off, until I pull the battery (from the controller) each time.

Last edited:
Pyrate: So I need to have my FPV goggles powered on and plugged in to HDMI in the controller BEFORE turning on the Solo and Controller and connecting the two? The FatShark manual seemed to state the opposite but either way:

Whenever I keep trying to use the HDMI port and re-powering everything up, something happens to the controller that stops it from connecting to the Solo. The red light inside the controller will stay on even when its powered off, until I pull the battery (from the controller) each time.
I don't use googles, but I do plug a monitor into that port occasionally. It will just show a blue screen unless I plug it in and power it on first. Others have said it was the same for googles
did you get it to repair without the googles

Yes I've gotten it to re-connect 3 times so far, without goggles, but each time only after pulling battery.

Can recycle everything and re-connect fine consistently, but when I try hooking up HDMI and powering things on (an various orders), everything connects (but no video through HDMI) but then when I try turning everything off, the Controller's red light will stay on inside the controller (even when powered off) and Solo will never re-connect, until I pull battery.

Looking like no HDMI love for me :(

The red light should turn off. It stays on when the controller is on and charging.
I have a top face for a controller I can send you if you ever want it.

No the red light stays on, after every time I try to hook up HDMI cable.

I'll try to re-cap what's happening again, briefly:

Solo and controller are fine, and connect fine. When I attempt to hook up hDMI cable and then recycle everything, Controller (and app(s)) will no longer connect to Solo. At that point if I turn off the controller the red light will STAY ON even when controller is off. No charging cable. I can attempt to re-connect 100 times and nothing will connect to the Solo again.

Then I pull the battery in the Controller, then plug it back in (10 secs later). Red light goes away and everything can connect to Solo fine again.

I re-created this 10 times in a row last night trying to figure out WTF was going on.

TL;DR: HDMI not only doesn't work for me, it causes my Controller to get into a bad state that I have to pull the battery to reset.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the Sololink, to this forum and to the RC aircrafts. I'm from Brazil and I had a chance to purchase my Solo three weeks ago, during my staying at NY.

Yesterday, I finally got to try my first fly with solo. After 20 min I recieved a messagem related with the battery capacibillity and the solo "came home".

After this, with another battery 100%, I've tried another fly....but I can't get the Solo paired with the controller!!!

I tried all the instructions I could read at the manual...related to pairing operation, but nothing works..

I tried "reset factory"...but nothing works too...neither the "flash led" occurs....

What could have happened? Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the Sololink, to this forum and to the RC aircrafts. I'm from Brazil and I had a chance to purchase my Solo three weeks ago, during my staying at NY.

Yesterday, I finally got to try my first fly with solo. After 20 min I recieved a messagem related with the battery capacibillity and the solo "came home".

After this, with another battery 100%, I've tried another fly....but I can't get the Solo paired with the controller!!!

I tried all the instructions I could read at the manual...related to pairing operation, but nothing works..

I tried "reset factory"...but nothing works too...neither the "flash led" occurs....

Thanks!

Try viewing this YouTube video. I had problems with my new Solo when I got it and it was a refurbished unit that looked brandnew but I couldn't get the
software to communicate to the controller and Solo until I did a factory reset.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I don't use googles, but I do plug a monitor into that port occasionally. It will just show a blue screen unless I plug it in and power it on first. Others have said it was the same for googles
did you get it to repair without the googles

Question, does the HDMI connector have any data connections on the controller? I am wondering if this would cause some problems?

Try to disconnect battery on controller and wait 10 seconds and reconnect. This will reset computer on controller before trying to do factory reset.

@kneel23 - When I used Fatshark goggles with my solo, the Fatshark provided cable was unable to be used with the solo controller. I bought a third party right angle HDMI cable that worked fine, and as Pyrate said, you have to plug in and turn on goggles before powering controller on. It could be the HDMI cable you are using is causing you issues. Goggles worked fine for me, no issues once I figured out they had to boot first. Not all HDMI cables are the same.

Reactions: Dugbones
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
@kneel23 - When I used Fatshark goggles with my solo, the Fatshark provided cable was unable to be used with the solo controller. I bought a third party right angle HDMI cable that worked fine, and as Pyrate said, you have to plug in and turn on goggles before powering controller on. It could be the HDMI cable you are using is causing you issues. Goggles worked fine for me, no issues once I figured out they had to boot first. Not all HDMI cables are the same.

Yeah I kept trying to booth the googles first, as the FatShark manual states that clearly. I Will try a different cable as I was indeed trying to use the fatShark provided one. I do not have any other mini HDMI so will have to pick one up.

Glad to hear its just that crappy cable. Just weird that plugging the cable in makes my controller go into a dead state.

So do you fly the Solo with the goggles often?

So do you fly the Solo with the goggles often?
No I don't. Not used to flying FPV with goggles and I might try it more if I had some wide open spaces. Plus if I remember correctly it didn't have any of the telemetry data displayed (only in app). You are getting just what camera/video feed is showing. Wouldn't do it where there are obstacles around (especially to left / right) and it is really hard to judge distance due to the wide angle camera video. I wanted to see what goggles would look like, and I'll wait for better. Like everything else we use in this bleeding edge tech, goggle technology is improving as we speak. I'd use the goggles to fly a friend/family member around so they could do a bit of virtual flying (put them in a chair to be safe/vertigo is easily felt), but not to pilot. At least not yet. I like my tablet view for now.
Found the earlier post regarding FPV / Fatshark. There are some links to known good HDMI cables. Fat Shark Dominator V3 Fpv goggles on solo?

Reactions: Dugbones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo