Filter help

Reaction score
I bought the Neewer filter set to use with my GoPro 4 Black. Does the rotation angle of the filter (ND8/PL) make a difference? When I view through the BackPac screen and rotate the filter I can see that the picture changes brightness slightly. If it matters how I orient it then how do I know what is the correct position?

I bought the Neewer filter set to use with my GoPro 4 Black. Does the rotation angle of the filter (ND8/PL) make a difference? When I view through the BackPac screen and rotate the filter I can see that the picture changes brightness slightly. If it matters how I orient it then how do I know what is the correct position?
Try finding a creek or pond or even a dark bowl of water on a sunny day with the sun reflecting off it. Put the filter up to your eye and rotate it until you see the glare from the sun reflecting go away on the water. It will be super obvious when you see it. That's your spot.

if it is polarized the Wooskie has it right
If it is a CP Circular Polarized it will not matter, though I always shoot with the ND number print at the top
seems to work

Reactions: Wetstone
Try finding a creek or pond or even a dark bowl of water on a sunny day with the sun reflecting off it. Put the filter up to your eye and rotate it until you see the glare from the sun reflecting go away on the water. It will be super obvious when you see it. That's your spot.

So is that the spot I should always use? Or will it vary by conditions?

So is that the spot I should always use? Or will it vary by conditions?
It will vary a little bit based on the position of the sun. You don't have to test it on water necessarily but that's the best way to really see the effect taking place so you will know what you are looking for. You are looking for the glare to disappear. On mine, It's quite a narrow window... Maybe a hour or two if you think of the filter as a 12 hour clock.

This isn't the greatest photo but if you'll notice the glare on the wet glass table.
20170423_103941.jpg
20170423_103903.jpg

Reactions: pyrate
So is the top picture with the PL filter & the bottom one without or are they both with the filter, just different positions?

So is the top picture with the PL filter & the bottom one without or are they both with the filter, just different positions?
Both with the filter on. The top one is in the spot and the bottom is out of position.

Reactions: nbrege
Is it just me or does the bottom picture look a little sharper? Also, which filter set do you have?

Is it just me or does the bottom picture look a little sharper? Also, which filter set do you have?
I wouldn't take those pictures as an example of clarity. I just ran out in the rain and snapped them lol. I'm using polar pros.

I wouldn't take those pictures as an example of clarity. I just ran out in the rain and snapped them lol. I'm using polar pros.

OK. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna try to get out today & experiment with the filters & also try out the mRO GPS unit I just installed.

Reactions: Wooskie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela