FAA Registration Rule Now In Effect - New Rules Dropped today!

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Reaction score
How are they going to enforce this? Are they going to get a list of all UVA purchased from all suppliers, what about the ones that are scratch built. Is law enforcement going to be involved, they see you in the middle of a field flying your UVA, pull up and ask you to land to check that you are registered ?

How are they going to enforce this? Are they going to get a list of all UVA purchased from all suppliers, what about the ones that are scratch built. Is law enforcement going to be involved, they see you in the middle of a field flying your UVA, pull up and ask you to land to check that you are registered ?
My guess is it will be checked if a LEO has contact with you for some reason while flying. I also imagine that anti-UAV folks will be quick to call hoping they can catch operators who are resistant to register.

Do I need to register my older model planes, and helicopters that weigh more then .5 lbs? :(

Do I need to register my older model planes, and helicopters that weigh more then .5 lbs? :(
Thats the way it is looking. I haven't had a chance to read it all but here is a quote...

"In the sUAS Operation and Certification NPRM, the FAA proposed to define “unmanned aircraft” as “an aircraft operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.”21 This proposed definition would codify the statutory definition of “unmanned aircraft” specified in Public Law 112-95.22"

The word drone is here to stay. I hate the word but lets be honest with ourselves and realize that term is here to start.
I wasn't disputing that. I'm just referring to legal language, and what the FAA says. They don't mention "drones". They talk about UAS

My guess is it will be checked if a LEO has contact with you for some reason while flying. I also imagine that anti-UAV folks will be quick to call hoping they can catch operators who are resistant to register.
Speaking as a LEO, I will not be asking for registration unless there is damage done to people and/or property and I need to find an owner. If somebody complains about a Drone flying in a given area, I will only be interested in if state/local laws are followed in relation to where you are flying. LEOs will not have any more authority than anyone else regarding FAA compliance and whether it is registered.

Everything needs to be registered above .55 lbs and has a ground control system. Plane, Helo and quads.

from the AMA

You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication

AMATodayHeaderV2_03b.png

spacer.gif

Monday, December 14, 2015
AMA and the FAA Registration Process

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

• All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
  • Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
  • You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
  • You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
  • The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
  • There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
  • You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:

• We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
  • At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

Thank you,

AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team

spacer.gif

© 1936-2014 Academy of Model Aeronautics.
5161 E. Memorial Dr., Muncie IN 47302
Tel.: (800) 435-9262; Fax.: (765) 289-4248
All rights reserved.

www.modelaircraft.org

spacer.gif

For comments on this communication please email [email protected]. To unsubscribe click HERE.

may I add from the Moderators link:

Currently, small unmanned aircraft operated as other than model aircraft (i.e., for operations for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes or as a public aircraft) must continue to complete the part 47 registration process in accordance with the conditions and limitations of exemptions issued under section 333 of Public Law 112-95.

However, it appears that by March those granted 333 may use the online registration.

may I add from the Moderators link:

Currently, small unmanned aircraft operated as other than model aircraft (i.e., for operations for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes or as a public aircraft) must continue to complete the part 47 registration process in accordance with the conditions and limitations of exemptions issued under section 333 of Public Law 112-95.

However, it appears that by March those granted 333 may use the online registration.
That is correct. As I recall commercial rules will be rolled out March 2016.

This might be a great time for those folks who aren't already AMA members to join up.
Clearly the snowball effect is coming into play as predicted - already, dyed-in-the-wool old school RC fliers have been completely and totally blindsided by this. So many times I've been talking with club members or at hobby shops about registration and most "non-drone" guys were completely positive it would have no impact on them.
Well, heads-up, it does.
If your plane, copter or anything else weighs more than 8 ounces, get ready to register.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
what about if you have license already but you travelling other country?

The complete rule is posted online and it will answer all your questions- it's only 211 pages long! I'm going to read it the 2nd Tuesday of next week.
Typical federal bureaucracy.:confused:

Since I was chastised for starting a new thread about this instead of searching through all the threads on this forum, I'll ask my question here;

According to the registration guidelines, we are to have the following...

1. A full description of the UA provided by the manufacturer, builder or applicant in a Notarized statement.
    sUA Required Description Items
    • Full Legal Name of UA Manufacturer or Builder
    • sUA Model Designation
    • sUA Serial Number
    • Class (Airplane, Airship, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane, Ducted Fan)
    • sUA Maximum Takeoff Weight
    • Category (Land, Sea, or Both)
    • Name of Engine Manufacturer
    • Engine Model Designation
    • Engine Serial-Numbers (if none shown, enter 'none')
    • Number of Engines
    • Engine Power Output (given in HP or Lbs. Thrust)
    • Engine Type (2 or 4 Cycle Reciprocating, Electric,
      Turbo - Fan/Prop/Shaft/Jet)
    The notarized statement must also state "To the best of the undersigned's knowledge the information provided above is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner"

So will 3DR furnish a data sheet covering all this information on their products for this regulation or do we need to find all this out ourselves?

I wasn't disputing that. I'm just referring to legal language, and what the FAA says. They don't mention "drones". They talk about UAS

Actually, the FAA *does* use the word now, and has officially expanded its definition to include all sUAS in the very first answer of the official "UAS Registration Q&A":
The FAA said:
Q. What is the definition of a UAS? Is it different from a drone?

A. A UAS is an unmanned aircraft system. A drone and a UAS are the same for registration purposes.

The whole "UAS Registration Q&A" can be found here: UAS Registration Q&A

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela