Enabling full control of LED's

Reaction score
Just as an "FYI", I've enhanced the ardupilot-solo v1.5.3 firmware to expose all the features of Solo's motor pod LED controllers (aka OreoLED) over mavlink. With this firmware loaded on the pixhawk, each LED can be fully controlled, including setting any RGB value (color) and "blink" pattern (strobe, sine, etc.).

A command line utility, installer, and firmware are available here:
GitHub - hugheaves/solo-led-control: Command line utilities to control 3DR Solo LEDs

DISCLAIMER: Obviously, this is a customized version of software that controls the flight functions of the 3DR Solo. If you choose to use this firmware, in all likelihood, this will cause your drone to crash, causing horrendous loss of life and billions of dollars in property damage. You have been warned.

Here's a quick picture showing Yellow, Green, Blue, and Red.

LEDPic.jpg

Last edited:
Does this create parameters that can be changed to do something with the lights? Or does this require an external application to do it?

Does this create parameters that can be changed to do something with the lights? Or does this require an external application to do it?
Right now, it requires an external app (or at least running a script on your solo / controller). I was thinking more in terms of dynamic LED colors based on flight conditions (battery level, etc)

However, just setting a static color would be useful too. I hadn't thought of using parameters to do it, but that's a great idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

Is it something you can execute manually by typing mavlink commands into Mission Planner? Or something like that? I've never done or tried anything of the sort, never needed to, but I think the capability is there.

That would be much easier and more flexible than dragging my laptop with me and using MP every time.

Reactions: Bilge
Well, this took longer than I thought. I tried but failed to get LED colors settable via parameters. I spent quite a bit of time researching, reading doc, and writing code, and no matter what I tried the parameter values seemed to get corrupted upon restart. I'm still not sure why, as my parameter code seems identical to what's already there. I suspect I'm hitting some sort of edge case, or buffer oveflow.

Anyway, I've gone ahead and created a command line utility that can be run from Solex (or using an SSH connection to Solo). The settings don't persist between reboots (because no parameters are used), but it's easy to run the script by clicking a button in Solex.

I've written some instructions on installation and usage here:

GitHub - hugheaves/solo-led-control: Examples of controlling 3DR Solo LED's using Python DroneKit

Feedback and suggestions for improvements are welcome.

I love this stuff! Here's a quick review I did this evening. I should probably be asleep. But instead I'm tinkering with LEDs and eating thin mints.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I really just want a reverse of stock lighting, red upfront and white in rear.........any way to make it stay that way as as default?

I doesn't stick between reboots. As of today, the best you can do is make a command button in Solex to easily set it every time.

It may be possible to have the script run when the solo boots up. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

I installed the firmware and the 2 python scripts as described in the git. When I try to run the led_control.py or SoloLED.py script in the WinSSH terminal, I always get a syntax error.
What am I doing wrong?

Someone on FB got the same thing. The file is corrupt. Redownload the py files from github, and reupload them to the solo. It worked immediately after that for him.

When you are downloading the file, you are getting the html page and not the actual source file.

From his repo, use the 'Clone or download' green button and choose Download ZIP and save the file.
Thank you - that resolved it!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea