Dual GPS on Solo?

Reaction score
I want to replace the GPS unit on my Solo with one that, you know...... works.

I've got two UBLOX compatible NEO-M8N units that I'm running on a diy build that I haven't touched since I got my Solo.

Has anyone ever tried to run dual GPS units?
How would I do it?

The pixhawk had the serial 4/5 so I could just pop it in there and change the parameters in Mission Planner. The Solo does not. I don't suppose that I could just splice the two together, that would be too easy.

Does the auxiliary port on the bottom have the necessary pins to connect the second one?
Would I have to have a custom connector?

Can it even be done by someone who is a step above a layman?
Should i just pick one of the two and splice it to the factory GPS?

ETA: Should I connect the compass too?

Last edited:
The old 3dr ArduCopter FW supports connecting a second GPS but it can't do anything with it. Just logs it. If you go green cube, ArduCopter 3.5 supports dual GPS with automatic failover switching and blending. It would need to use serial 2 in the accessory bay.

Reactions: Hiccks and Redcon1
I am using NEO-M8N

That's what I'm leaning towards now, just using one of them. I'm not really seeing the advantage of the green cube at this point in time, at least not until after I update my hero3 black to a + or H4 anyway.

Does it work significantly better than the original?

Did you wire in the compass, or just disregard it?

Can you point me in the direction of a good tutorial and verified Solo GPS pinout?

My main concerns;
1) Position hold accuracy
Pos hold works well above the canopy but lower (10-30' agl), it drifts like a drunk driver. When landing, especially in a tight LZ, below tree level it likes to drop gps all together . It's always fun to hear "Fly-Manual" when you're weaving in and out of pine trees.

2) Start up time.
Thats really more of an inconvenience but it still sucks. Especially when it decides to take an extra long time because I'm trying to brag on it.
Have you noticed improvement in these areas?

Last edited:
Flying in tight quarters around trees, buildings, or rising terrain with the stock 3DR GPS will always be drifty. The GPS is a piece of crap and that's what you get for it. Losing the lock completely is also pretty common in those circumstances.

A quality M8N GPS will make a huge difference with that issue. It will be a lot more stable and the lock will hang on much better. However, you still need to be prepared to take over manual control. Those circumstances are conducive to multi-pathing which can fool the GPS. And they are not invincible to losing lock if the satellite position and terrain is just too much to cope with. So don't get complacent either!

A crappy cut-rate no-name ebay/amazon china special may perform just as poorly as the stock GPS. Or worse, appear to work great until it cruises you into a tree. So be careful with those. You often get what you pay for.

The HERE external GPS/Compass kit is $70 and plug-and-play. The mRo is $80, plug and play, and internal, but not as good quality and design as the here. Drotek makes one you can mount internally for I think $40 but requires cutting and splicing wires. There are numerous $20-$30 china special externals that require splicing wires, that I would not recommend for the reasons I mentioned above.

Reactions: Redcon1
Flying in tight quarters around trees, buildings, or rising terrain with the stock 3DR GPS will always be drifty. The GPS is a piece of crap and that's what you get for it. Losing the lock completely is also pretty common in those circumstances.

A quality M8N GPS will make a huge difference with that issue. It will be a lot more stable and the lock will hang on much better. However, you still need to be prepared to take over manual control. Those circumstances are conducive to multi-pathing which can fool the GPS. And they are not invincible to losing lock if the satellite position and terrain is just too much to cope with. So don't get complacent either!

A crappy cut-rate no-name ebay/amazon china special may perform just as poorly as the stock GPS. Or worse, appear to work great until it cruises you into a tree. So be careful with those. You often get what you pay for.

The HERE external GPS/Compass kit is $70 and plug-and-play. The mRo is $80, plug and play, and internal, but not as good quality and design as the here. Drotek makes one you can mount internally for I think $40 but requires cutting and splicing wires. There are numerous $20-$30 china special externals that require splicing wires, that I would not recommend for the reasons I mentioned above.

I don't know why but for some reason I thought the Here and mRo required the green cube, do they not?.

I was eyeballing the two that I already have because, 1) I already know they work. & 2) see above.

Plug and play really does sound a lot better than splice and dice though.

There are no GPS upgrades that require the green cube. The only thing that would require a green cube is dual GPS blending and failover that is part of ArduCopter 3.5. Which I not likely something anyone here is going to to do anyway.

Reactions: Redcon1
There are no GPS upgrades that require the green cube. The only thing that would require a green cube is dual GPS blending and failover that is part of ArduCopter 3.5. Which I not likely something anyone here is going to to do anyway.
Okay then. I guess that settles it. HERE I come...... HAAAA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986