Drones hinder Firefighting effort

Reaction score
This news story doesn't give many details about the drones flying close by or how far away they were, but there has already been legislation introduced in California for huge fines for interfering with firefighting efforts.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/drones-delay-efforts-fight-california-wildfire/story?id=32534795

This has been the second incident within a matter of a few weeks that airborne firefighting equipment has been grounded because of nearby drones.
Again, I admit that I don't know the particulars of this story, but you can see the writing on the wall. The actions of a few irresponsible idiots are going to determine further restrictions on where and when we can fly.

Yea common sense is far from common these days, seems an Iq test need be required to buy or fly a multi. These morons more than likely are going to have everyone grounded or with severe crippling restrictions in no time. Wish there was more we could do to combat this but you can't fix stupid and since anyone can buy these things now it's just a matter of time before idiots ruin this hobby like they have so many other things over the years. Saddest part is most likely these idiots are full grown adults not kids being kids and I'd bet some of them are from a news stations and very aware of the rules and still ruining all the work folks are doing to prove how useful this tech is in every aspect of our lives commercially or otherwise.

There's so much that could be done with this tech but odds are before any of its tested or proven to the public wel all be grounded at this rate.

Personally, with as much alterior agendas that exist in mainstream media today, the only way to do a sanity check is to question stories like these. I believe some of these stories are concocted, contrived, and put out to shed bad light on the drone world, to gain a major edge in passing legislation against our rights of flying. Period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegasmike
Personally, with as much alterior agendas that exist in mainstream media today, the ugly easy to do a sanity check is to question stories like these. I believe some of these stories are concocted, contrived, and put out to shed bad light on the drive world, to gain a major edge in passing legislation against our rights of flying. Period.

For sure some probably are but with the number of idiots i see on a daily basis there's no doubt that some of these stories are legit and unfortunatley there's no good way to stop these fools from buying aerial rigs.

Bad part is just like reviews here only the bad usually gets any attention all those stories on diy about drones about helping deliver meds, do search and rescue not to mention how many lives are saved in our military by unmanned vehicles are not as newsworthy. They'd rather run uav shoots wrong target or firefighters grounded by drones, hope that changes with all the big investors that recently came on but wel see how it plays out in the near future.

Reactions: Nolan
Personally, with as much alterior agendas that exist in mainstream media today, the ugly easy to do a sanity check is to question stories like these. I believe some of these stories are concocted, contrived, and put out to shed bad light on the drive world, to gain a major edge in passing legislation against our rights of flying. Period.
In this case they interviewed one of the chopper pilots who saw 2 of the drones, so this one is a legit story.

I'm not with enacted more laws to combat this. I'd like to see a opportunity for technology to be used to drop these multirotors out of the sky. This issue is it would require something that would not interfere with emergency vehicles.

Heck, I'd agree with shooting them out the sky if needed.

Reactions: baldguy
You think the right for aerial cinematography for artistic expressive purposes. For creating art, for delivering medicine, should be taken away from us? Here's a thought... How about passing legislation that prosecutes the actual individual actually proven to be caught disobeying air traffic law. And leaving unfair aerial law legislation up to the corrupt few. Drones are used for delivering medicine to accident victims where people on choppers can't get. They're used for search and rescue missions to find trapped, secluded, and lost people. They may save one of your relatives one day too. You've never seen an article about this yet on Fox, CNN, MSN. Yet being the key word. Because we are winning the info war now. The only thing that you've read is bad drone news. Dont let the established media brainwash you into thinking it's a one sided coin. Because yes there are idiots out there that do as they please once getting their hands on a uav. But most of us are using drones to inspire, create artistic beauty, create new perspectives of places very difficult to see before, and yes to actually help save lives. Yet you want to down them all. Welcome to the new world pal. What you said just isn't happening...

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Yet you want to down them all. Welcome to the new world pal. What you said just isn't happening...

First I'm not your pal as you don't know me. Secondly I do not want to "Down the All". I don't want government to hinder the hobby for those that fly safely but I'd like to see technology used to prevent this type of incident from occurring.

First I'm not your pal as you don't know me. Secondly I do not want to "Down the All". I don't want government to hinder the hobby for those that fly safely but I'd like to see technology used to prevent this type of incident from occurring.
Well. You should have specified that. And people wouldn't get the wrong impression.. You mentioned. The latter but completely left out the former. Either way, thanks for specifying. Then we're on a similar page. My only issue with that is how effective it would be in not effecting safe flyers. And whose to know they wouldn't use it to knock down safe flyers ruining their technology only to spin it by making false claims they were doing something obstructive. The same way it recently went down in yosemite

Well. You should have specified that. And people wouldn't get the wrong impression.. You mentioned. The latter but completely left out the former. Either way, thanks for specifying. Then we're on a similar page. My only issue with that is how effective it would be in not effecting safe flyers. And whose to know they wouldn't use it to knock down safe flyers ruining their technology only to spin it by making false claims they were doing something obstructive. The same way it recently went down in yosemite

I fly quads, trust me I don't want them falling out of the sky and I don't want the hobby banned. I just don't more restriction on when I can fly, how far, and how many pieces of paperwork I need to fill out.

Now that being said its time for me to put in some more flight time.

Totally agree with you both and my first read I also misinterpreted your post but after looking at your solo in your profile pic I re read. Something to knock these idiots out of the sky would benefit us flying responsibly and if I saw those drones grounding the fire fighters I'd of shot em down myself. I'd say shooting them down likely is our best bet since if they develop something cheap enough to be available to all chopper pilots like air care or fire rescue it would without a doubt end up in the wrong hands just like our copters have latley. So those who believe we should be grounded for privacy or whatever would simply buy one zap us and ruin our birds. I'm not sure what the best solution is but honestly I'd think a license requirement at purchase that's not too hard to get and can maybe be tracked through gps or wifi by your Id or even your current rx number would help a lot. Just that simple step and knowing that you may be held accountable if you are being an idiot would likely stop most from these things, not all there's always those to dumb to breath that don't care but most would be more cautious and the rest would face charges.

I really don't see many other options that aren't to expensive or wouldn't hurt us as much as the bans or restrictions were trying to avoid. By next year if we don't do something wel most likely be very restricted if not banned. As soon as other areas see these current cases stick if they do we could be in for an uphill battle so we got to do something now or it's going to be to late. If anybody has anything related or other ideas let me know I'll be happy to do what I can while we still have a fighting chance to end these issues before were grounded.

Last edited:
I wish the media would stop calling them drones. I was out flying today in a field I normally go to and one of the kids kept asking about my "drone". I kept stating it was a quadcopter but I admit that drone rolls of the tongue a lot easier.

I wish the media would stop calling them drones. I was out flying today in a field I normally go to and one of the kids kept asking about my "drone". I kept stating it was a quadcopter but I admit that drone rolls of the tongue a lot easier.
Yea drone does make people compare them to predator or military use and is a bad term. I even catch myself using it or changing myself from using it sometimes now that it's everywhere and solo is marketed as a drone.

Technically I guess it is now but multi or quad copter is much less threatening sounding to people who don't know much if anything about them.

just saw this again on the news this morning.
feds are getting involved too.
state of calif wants to make it a criminal offence if you are flying a drone over a wild fire.
fine and imprisonment.

just saw this again on the news this morning.
feds are getting involved too.
state of calif wants to make it a criminal offence if you are flying a drone over a wild fire.
fine and imprisonment.
I believe it is already illegal. FAA has restrictions on airspace over a active wildfire.

I believe it is already illegal. FAA has restrictions on airspace over a active wildfire.
Idiots...all of them! Holding up air ops for 30 minuteswhile cars burn on the highway! I hope they catch the dumb asses and hold them accountable.

i hope that as time passes, Solo owners are more responsible while Phantom owners keep on messing around in the skies. anyone who is into quadcopter should agree that in any emergency situation, keep your bird out of the skies.

this new selfie generation (including the baby boomers that recently discovered iphones and ipads) just yearns to be first in showing something. another reason why youtube doesn't have any fire videos yet; can't wait for the first one to be posted so they get prosecuted.

i hope that as time passes, Solo owners are more responsible while Phantom owners keep on messing around in the skies. anyone who is into quadcopter should agree that in any emergency situation, keep your bird out of the skies.

this new selfie generation (including the baby boomers that recently discovered iphones and ipads) just yearns to be first in showing something. another reason why youtube doesn't have any fire videos yet; can't wait for the first one to be posted so they get prosecuted.

Solo pilots are more responsible...thats pretty funny. Im sure as soon as 3dr catches up with DJI..which will probably wont happen, there will be as many solos in the air as phantoms with guys doing stupid shit. I have watched a dozen videos of solo pilots flying carelessly.

Reactions: Eddyfisher

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40