Don't buy a solo...

Reaction score
I recently posted a thread where I had talked about my solo flying away. I posted logs and numerous users reported lots of abnormalities in them which pointed to a bad motor pod among other things. Well today I received a response from 3dr after they had a couple days with the logs. They told me that the ARMING_CHECK param had been changed from 1 to 0 meaning that the solo would allow itself to be armed even if there were issues. The part where this gets ridiculous is that I had never touched anything on my solo. I got it out of the box. Flew it three times I a span of 3 days. Never did any advanced stuff to it never even changed a single setting in the solo app. But 3dr is there with the logs saying that on the first flight the AC param was set to 1 (enabled) but on the 2nd and 3rd flights (same day) the AC param was set to 0. So now they are pushing back against me and saying they will repair the drone at my
Expense because I changed the a Params and that resulted in the crash.

How can the Params just change? I'm not crazy. And I'm sure as heck not going to take the time write this post if I had actually changed the Params. Plus if you look at my other thread you can clearly see I don't know how to access the logs and I don't own a windows computer so I can't use mission planner. How would these things change!? I don't understand. And it's made me very very angry because now 3dr is denying a replacement and I have a half broken gopro that won't get replaced and I did nothing to deserve this.

Reactions: Michael Stevenson
I recently posted a thread where I had talked about my solo flying away. I posted logs and numerous users reported lots of abnormalities in them which pointed to a bad motor pod among other things. Well today I received a response from 3dr after they had a couple days with the logs. They told me that the ARMING_CHECK param had been changed from 1 to 0 meaning that the solo would allow itself to be armed even if there were issues. The part where this gets ridiculous is that I had never touched anything on my solo. I got it out of the box. Flew it three times I a span of 3 days. Never did any advanced stuff to it never even changed a single setting in the solo app. But 3dr is there with the logs saying that on the first flight the AC param was set to 1 (enabled) but on the 2nd and 3rd flights (same day) the AC param was set to 0. So now they are pushing back against me and saying they will repair the drone at my

How can the Params just change? I'm not crazy. And I'm sure as heck not going to take the time write this post if I had actually changed the Params. Plus if you look at my other thread you can clearly see I don't know how to access the logs and I don't own a windows computer so I can't use mission planner. How would these things change!? I don't understand. And it's made me very very angry because now 3dr is denying a replacement and I have a half broken gopro that won't get replaced and I did nothing to deserve this.

Thanks for posting. The ugly truth about the Solo is raining down upon the fools that bought into the hype. I'm one of them and after the hell I went through with the Atomos Shogun I promised myself never again. I failed. As I said in the 3DR solo owners page (before I got banned) Dear B & H, please do not do preorders on unfinished products. Caveat Emptor.

Thanks for posting. The ugly truth about the Solo is raining down upon the fools that bought into the hype. I'm one of them and after the hell I went through with the Atomos Shogun I promised myself never again. I failed. As I said in the 3DR solo owners page (before I got banned) Dear B & H, please do not do preorders on unfinished products. Caveat Emptor.

Hey Michael. Please keep us updated on the B&H return. I sent mine back yesterday. Had to pay $47.01 return shipping. And today I see an email that appears that B&H is not crediting the full purchase price back to my account. Didn't see it until after NY business hours so I will have to check with them tomorrow. Just wondering if we are going to run into more problems on the return. Thanks.

So if 3DR is NOT covering fly aways and broken GoPros then they have lost the only advantage that they still might have held over DJI. Total fail 3DR!

Hey Michael. Please keep us updated on the B&H return. I sent mine back yesterday. Had to pay $47.01 return shipping. And today I see an email that appears that B&H is not crediting the full purchase price back to my account. Didn't see it until after NY business hours so I will have to check with them tomorrow. Just wondering if we are going to run into more problems on the return. Thanks.

Jon, I spoke with B & H and they assured me that until I received all of my order the 30 day return period does not start including the grotesque fish eyed GoPro camera. I have spent a fortune with them and they will not balk on my return.

Jon, I spoke with B & H and they assured me that until I received all of my order the 30 day return period does not start including the grotesque fish eyed GoPro camera. I have spent a fortune with them and they will not balk on my return.
You were smart ordering the Gopro with the Solo. I made the mistake of getting it from Amazon to save a few bucks and then spending more to convert to a rectilinear lens. And now I won't need it if i buy a P3 or Inspire. I guess I can take up time lapse as a hobby.

Is B&H covering your return shipping?

You were smart ordering the Gopro with the Solo. I made the mistake of getting it from Amazon to save a few bucks and then spending more to convert to a rectilinear lens. And now I won't need it if i buy a P3 or Inspire. I guess I can take up time lapse as a hobby.
I bought the P3P and it worked right out of the box. After I return the Solo I will get the inspire too. Believe it or not I originally bought the Inspire and returned it after I saw the NAB 3DR Propaganda.

I would believe you, they always try to shift the blame, if you continue to push the issue, and can prove their failings, then they will fix it as they should. I had issues early on that i made them aware of, and when it finally bit the dust i had prior issues to point to. I pointed out the problems in the logs and sent them video, in the end they agreed and rma'd it. I have no idea what was changed or done because after it was approved it went over to customer service reps. I do know that they did replace my gopro, which was a surprise. Hopefully tomorrow i will get it back either repaired or replaced and then i can actually try it out with the gimbal and see if it lives up to what i originally thought i had purchased.

No and I'm Not worried about that for an almost $3,000 purchase.
Yeah, agreed. I guess maybe I should also return my GPC case to them too. probably also expensive to ship back but Oh well. At this point I think I am giving up on even any future possibility of owning Solo.

Yeah, agreed. I guess maybe I should also return my GPC case to them too. probably also expensive to ship back but Oh well. At this point I think I am giving up on even any future possibility of owning Solo.
I understand. I may have been the first to go Hitler here but I will certainly not be the last. What have I learned? Never buy a pre ordered, unfinished, we promise you it will be great, fantasy that uses CGI in their videos.

I'm not an owner of any drone yet. I've been stalking both of the big names - 3dr and Phantom.
After all I've read on the forums for both companies, I'm leaning toward the Phantom.

This is a really disappointing story and I hope they make good on your expensive purchase. After selling people on an unfinished product, at the very bare minimum, I would expect 3dr to have integrity and stand by their product and its flaws.

The reason I am leaning toward Phantom is that, with all things being equal, I'll take the company that has more experience and proven success.

Yes, man. It only cost me $6,000 to learn that! :)

EDIT: $6K and between Atomos and 3DR only a year.
OUCH!! Now you're making me feel better. I might come out of this having lost $600 and a bunch of my time. But good lessons don't come free.

I'm not an owner of any drone yet. I've been stalking both of the big names - 3dr and Phantom.
After all I've read on the forums for both companies, I'm leaning toward the Phantom.

This is a really disappointing story and I hope they make good on your expensive purchase. After selling people on an unfinished product, at the very bare minimum, I would expect 3dr to have integrity and stand by their product and its flaws.

The reason I am leaning toward Phantom is that, with all things being equal, I'll take the company that has more experience and proven success.
Lean toward Phantom. Lean hard!

OUCH!! Now you're making me feel better. I might come out of this having lost $600 and a bunch of my time. But good lessons don't come free.
Jon, Well, I will get $3K back when I return the Solo plus the fisheyed monster. The Atomos after 8 months is still something I still have and use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo