Doesn't record video to GoPro

Reaction score
I've been having an issue with video recording to my gopro. First couple of times it was working fine. Recently, when I press to record button, everything seems to be working fine. Yet it doesn't record to my GoPro. Although it does record onto my camera roll. Has anyone else had this issue? Do I need to press record button on my gopro first?

The Solo does not talk to the GoPro without a gimbal. It has no way to record unless you turn on the GoPro and manually start the recording before you take off.

The Solo does not talk to the GoPro without a gimbal. It has no way to record unless you turn on the GoPro and manually start the recording before you take off.

Interesting...

I do show a red record button on my iphone6 through the app, and remember the second time I flew it, I was able to record and had 3 different files in SD card that was on my gopro. It correlated to the times I pressed the red button to record and stop recording on the the app. I just cant remember if I turned on the record button on gopro first or not.

When I get home I'll have to test.

Thanks for your reply

Interesting...

I do show a red record button on my iphone6 through the app, and remember the second time I flew it, I was able to record and had 3 different files in SD card that was on my gopro. It correlated to the times I pressed the red button to record and stop recording on the the app. I just cant remember if I turned on the record button on gopro first or not.

When I get home I'll have to test.

Thanks for your reply

In IOS your recording your phone screen with that big red button, zero to do with go pro.
Start recording on the GoPro by pressing its button.

Reactions: balensd
Well the GoPro currently is only connected with a HDMI port. So no way to control it. Once the gimbal comes out it will connect via the hero port on back and be able to control the camera.

Reactions: balensd
Okay, being plugged into HDMI port and not being able to control it makes sense... Thanks

I have a theory about your 3 different files.

You started record on the GoPro. The files are automatically broke into 4 gig files. So even though you thought you were starting and stopping it the files were by design split at 4 gig + 4 gig + something 4 gig or less to finish it off.

I have a theory about your 3 different files.

You started record on the GoPro. The files are automatically broke into 4 gig files. So even though you thought you were starting and stopping it the files were by design split at 4 gig + 4 gig + something 4 gig or less to finish it off.

Yeah, I'm going to have to look at it when I get home. I wasn't thinking about it then but when I was flying last night and during lunch today, it just wasn't recording. I'll have to check my files. Also, I remembered that the camera icon on top left corner would turn red and white when I press the red button... yet, it could be my memory thats a little wonky...haha. Cheers!

Reactions: rrmccabe
I've been having an issue with video recording to my gopro. First couple of times it was working fine. Recently, when I press to record button, everything seems to be working fine. Yet it doesn't record to my GoPro. Although it does record onto my camera roll. Has anyone else had this issue? Do I need to press record button on my gopro first?

This happened to me today twice.

With the gimbal.
It records to iOS, but not to the GoPro.

Any revelations to your issue, even though it was a long time ago.

This happened to me today twice.

With the gimbal.
It records to iOS, but not to the GoPro.

Any revelations to your issue, even though it was a long time ago.
Matthew,
What GoPro model do you have?
Start and stop record doesn't work with all models. I have a Hero 3 black and even though GoPro control is not supported my iPhone appears as though it does. The record button records the live stream but doesn't operate the GoPro. It was misleading until I figured it out and spoke with 3DR and GoPro. With my Samsung Tab 4 it makes it clear there isn't control of GoPro and won't even record the live stream.
I could be wrong but it appears that Hero 4 is the only one that supports some control at this point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't like pushing record before installing into the gimbal. Not only did I not like having to take it in and out so often but I didn't like manhandling it while turned on and if I waited to turn Solo on until after pushing record and installing I would have a lot of useless recording time.

My solution for now was to drill a tiny hole the size of a paper clip just over the center of the record button. I just start and stop record just before take off and after landing but using a paper clip. It seems to work great and you can't even tell I made that mod unless you knew about it.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: JoePro
Matthew,
What GoPro model do you have?
Start and stop record doesn't work with all models. I have a Hero 3 black and even though GoPro control is not supported my iPhone appears as though it does. The record button records the live stream but doesn't operate the GoPro. It was misleading until I figured it out and spoke with 3DR and GoPro. With my Samsung Tab 4 it makes it clear there isn't control of GoPro and won't even record the live stream.
I could be wrong but it appears that Hero 4 is the only one that supports some control at this point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't like pushing record before installing into the gimbal. Not only did I not like having to take it in and out so often but I didn't like manhandling it while turned on and if I waited to turn Solo on until after pushing record and installing I would have a lot of useless recording time.

My solution for now was to drill a tiny hole the size of a paper clip just over the center of the record button. I just start and stop record just before take off and after landing but using a paper clip. It seems to work great and you can't even tell I made that mod unless you knew about it.

I hope this helps.

Hi mate,
Hero 4 Silver.

My issue is different in that, I have no idea how I'm missing a file on the card, HOWEVER, the entire flight has been saved to my IOS device, (ipad mini 2)

I have no problem starting or stopping the gopro whenever either by using the red button on the ipad or the paddle on the top left which controls the gimble angle. You just have to depress this in to start or stop.

I would love to know the sequence of events how you should STOP the gopro as my battery was running out on the solo, and as I landed it, it began to go through it's beep, beep, beep stage like the battery was so low it was going to return to home. ( it was already on the ground and landed)
I shut down the solo and that, in turn, shuts down the gopro.
I believe I hit the red button on the ipad to stop it first, before shutting down the solo, but can anybody see my point?

Maybe there is a sequence of best practice for stopping, saving and shutting down the gopro and solo so files do not become corrupt ?

Hi mate,
Hero 4 Silver.

My issue is different in that, I have no idea how I'm missing a file on the card, HOWEVER, the entire flight has been saved to my IOS device, (ipad mini 2)

I have no problem starting or stopping the gopro whenever either by using the red button on the ipad or the paddle on the top left which controls the gimble angle. You just have to depress this in to start or stop.

I would love to know the sequence of events how you should STOP the gopro as my battery was running out on the solo, and as I landed it, it began to go through it's beep, beep, beep stage like the battery was so low it was going to return to home. ( it was already on the ground and landed)
I believe I hit the red button on the ipad to stop it first, before shutting down the solo, but can anybody see my point?

Maybe there is a sequence of best practice for stopping, saving and shutting down the gopro and solo so files do not become corrupt ?
There have been some posts on sequences people found work. I don't recall them at this time but maybe a search could find them.
Sorry I misunderstood your problem and can't really help since I don't have a Hero4.
I hope you get that solved.
I've never come close to running low on battery even after multiple flights and because I don't have control over the GoPro it stays on after I shut Solo down. I guess I found one advantage to having an older GoPro. It works exactly as it has for the past couple of years.

Reactions: czrlaker
Hi mate,
Hero 4 Silver.

Matthew
I believe I had the same issue with a flight this morning. I was flying in orbit mode with the GoPro 4 Silver set to video + photo (5 secs) to capture a building for photogrammetry work. I hit the record button on my iPhone 6 as usual and all seemed to go well.
I flew till 15% then landed and after landing the low battery alarm started sounding on the Solo so I shut it down.
After packing up I quickly checked the footage on my iPhone and all looked great so headed to the office.
At the office I connected the GoPro to my MacPro and there was nothing there!!! So I think you might be right that if the Solo shuts down and shuts down the GoPro too before its had time to save the footage to the SD card then all is lost.
So from now on I'll have to ensure I stop filming well before turning off the Solo.

It would be great if there was the option for the solo to recognise if the GoPro was saving and allow it finish before turning it off.

Reactions: Coastwise
Matthew
I believe I had the same issue with a flight this morning. I was flying in orbit mode with the GoPro 4 Silver set to video + photo (5 secs) to capture a building for photogrammetry work. I hit the record button on my iPhone 6 as usual and all seemed to go well.
I flew till 15% then landed and after landing the low battery alarm started sounding on the Solo so I shut it down.
After packing up I quickly checked the footage on my iPhone and all looked great so headed to the office.
At the office I connected the GoPro to my MacPro and there was nothing there!!! So I think you might be right that if the Solo shuts down and shuts down the GoPro too before its had time to save the footage to the SD card then all is lost.
So from now on I'll have to ensure I stop filming well before turning off the Solo.

It would be great if there was the option for the solo to recognise if the GoPro was saving and allow it finish before turning it off.

Yeah mate, that's exactly what happened.

It's not good, but at least I can recognise now and after seeing a few other posts that this is probably the reason that the file is not there.

I would love to recover that file, but the effort spent into try to do that would probably not justify the seconds I'd need anyway for my project.

Sorry that happened to you too, but at least we can establish what NOT to do.

I usually try to get the most from the battery if I've got a safe place to land.

thanks for the reply.

Having the same issue with a hero black. Going to test today, I think the issue is likely that I did not hit stop recording before powering off the drone. I did get one or two videos so I am successfully capturing video to the GoPro SD card.

So, it sounds like that with my Hero 3+ the solution is to do the "drill the hole for manual activation of the record button" thing?

Having the same issue with a hero black. Going to test today, I think the issue is likely that I did not hit stop recording before powering off the drone. I did get one or two videos so I am successfully capturing video to the GoPro SD card.

I've had this happen several times, mine had nothing to do with turning off the solo while recording etc, there's a bug that sometimes you're iOS/phone device will show that your recording 'to the phone' though if you look closely you'll notice that the GoPro timecode isn't moving (and possibly the settings control under the red record button (in the app) is blacked out/and or/the iOS device logo is highlighted and GoPro symbol is blacked out)

Huge bug!!

Arron

So, it sounds like that with my Hero 3+ the solution is to do the "drill the hole for manual activation of the record button" thing?
We as GoPro and solo owners and users should not have to drill holes or anything of that sort!..we pay all this money for the drone,go pros and 3dr gimbal!..something is wrong and 3dr needs to fix or tell us what to do!..drilling a small hole may work but it is not the answer! You see what I mean!..it's not like it's in the instructions that says we have to drill a hole to make something work!...lol...3dr needs to address and fix these issues with a real professional answer and fix!!

Im having same issue..gopro 3+ silver...As soon as I snap cam into place in its gimbal cradle the recording stops on the gopro. Have set "1 touch" to the on position on gopro so as to be able to activate or de~activate recording..Doesn't work. I get the same introductory flash on gopro screen then nothing. So..Drilling holes wont help because activating one touch I doubt.. I guess its time to upgrade the gopro....or keep fiddling;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc