Does this make sense?

Reaction score
Okay, I got a new Hero 4 Black (to upgrade from my 3+ Silver) so that I could have full control of the GP through Solex. When I tested out the 4 Black, I noticed that I could only start and stop recording video once via the Solo or Solex apps; both apps indicated that the GP was still recording even though it wasn't after I stopped recording via either app. The strange thing is that I was still able to switch modes/frame rates/etc. through the apps and even though the apps thought that the GP was still recording, I could take single pictures (didn't try burst mode).

I tried every possible combination of App/GP model/Resolution/Frame Rate but nothing would fix the problem. Then after trying to record a few times the GP indicated an SD Card Error on my 128gig card (Sandisk Class 10). I took the card out and it read fine on the computer and it showed full capacity. I happened to have a 4gig card lying around so I threw that in the GP and voila!...I got complete control of the GP via both apps. WTF?

Can a card's capacity affect a GP's function via the gimbal/Solo/app? How/Why? I ordered a Sandisk Ultra 64gig card which I should get today so I should be ok for this weekend. I tried to find this topic in the Search bar but couldn't find anything. Thank you for your opinions.

Last edited:
I know it sounds strange but all SD cards are not the same. I'm not surprised that the 128GB card isn't fully compatible with the H4, since (if memory serves me) they didn't have micro SD cards available in that size when the camera was released.

I know it sounds strange but all SD cards are not the same. I'm not surprised that the 128GB card isn't fully compatible with the H4, since (if memory serves me) they didn't have micro SD cards available in that size when the camera was released.

Never thought of that... Yeah, that makes sense; I think that you're correct: the 128gig card out after the H4B. Such a strange result. Thanks.

The 64gig card was just delivered and I tested it. Worked perfectly and couldn't be happier. I finally feel like I have what I paid for.

Yup. SD Card issues are almost always the cause an otherwise ok GoPro acting dumb. Format it using the camera's format function and see where that gets you. If it still doesn't work, then the card is just crap.

Reactions: Z953
I disagree with the memory card formatting only in the gopro to an extent. Had multiple issues with GPH4 Black freezing up, only recording for 15 mins and then stopping etc. First of all I suspected it was an overheating issue, but kept having problems into the winter time in vented cases on cloudy days. As always, I would format the cards in the GoPro as everyone had suggested, but issues kept occurring (at this point I suspected the camera itself was faulty). Finally just popped the cards into my laptop and ran a scandisc on them. It found number of errors on the cards and repaired them. I then placed them into the gopro and formatted them, no issues since. I suspect that the formatting feature on the camera is just a "quick format" version which simply just wipes data without repairing any file structure errors. So if there are card errors, I'd check them with a scandisc and then format them in the gopro. It worked for me, just wish I had done this sooner, but on the bright side, I now have a number of memory cards that I rotate on a regular basis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc