Do I need Solo and Solex App

Rsn

Reaction score
I'm new to drones and was just wondering if the only thing I need the Solo app for is to calibrate for level and compass or does Solex take care of this also. I bought Solex but haven't flown with it yet. I was also wondering if there is a Solex Manual that's available for download. I went to the Solex site and briefly looked at the manual that was only available for viewing online.
While I'm asking stupid questions, I was wondering if anyone has problems using a tablet in sunlight or overcast days. I have a Fire HD 8, turned up the display brightness to full and can barely see what's on the screen on a overcast day. I ordered a sunshade but was wondering if the more expensive tablets had better display for viewing outdoors.

Thanks in advance...

Reactions: tpsharkey
Compass and level calibration are actually not in Solex at this time. So you do still need to keep the old 3DR app for that. You also need the 3DR app to do the initial pre-flight firmware updates. Beyond that, Solex does everything better.

Reactions: Rsn
need is a powerful word
in the strict sense, you dont need either to fly solo
But to control the camera and do smart shots you need the App minimally
If you want to fly missions like tower, and or any number of other great features, like controlling leds, saving and sharing smart shots, logging, running custom scripts, flying custom flight modes, flashing new firmware (cube only) then Solex is the only way to get there. The solo app is frankly pretty weak compared to solex.
Not to mention, Solex is still being actively developed and improved upon.

Compass and level calibration are actually not in Solex at this time. So you do still need to keep the old 3DR app for that. You also need the 3DR app to do the initial pre-flight firmware updates. Beyond that, Solex does everything better.
Cool... Thanks! I didn't see those things in Solex so I was wondering if maybe I missed it somewhere. What kind of tablet or phone do you use? Do you have problems with seeing the screen outdoors? I was wondering if I needed to get a better tablet. I have an iphone and see the screen good outdoors but I wanted something a little larger to use with the Solo. I did a work around to get play store on the Fire OS so I could use it for Solex. (Cheap tablet...lol)

Cool... Thanks! I didn't see those things in Solex so I was wondering if maybe I missed it somewhere. What kind of tablet or phone do you use? Do you have problems with seeing the screen outdoors? I was wondering if I needed to get a better tablet. I have an iphone and see the screen good outdoors but I wanted something a little larger to use with the Solo. I did a work around to get play store on the Fire OS so I could use it for Solex. (Cheap tablet...lol)
Many of us use the Nexus 7 (2013). The screen is very bright, and easy to see on sunny days.

Many of us use the Nexus 7 (2013). The screen is very bright, and easy to see on sunny days.
Thanks Chuck... BTW, I flew a few times at BC in the southwest parking lot. It seemed that every time I tried to fly on campus, going out of the parking lot area toward the coliseum I would lose GPS and it would return to home. Had no problems flying anywhere else. Maybe BC set up a geofence?

Reactions: Jim Levagood
Thanks Chuck... BTW, I flew a few times at BC in the southwest parking lot. It seemed that every time I tried to fly on campus, going out of the parking lot area toward the coliseum I would lose GPS and it would return to home. Had no problems flying anywhere else. Maybe BC set up a geofence?
I think you're confused about how this works. You don't lose GPS and return home as a result. That would be impossible, since without a GPS it doesn't know where it is or how to get home. And you can't "put up a geofence", since this isn't star trek. You're losing the WiFi connection to controller, and it is returning home as a failsafe. That is probably happening due to extreme wifi congestion in the area.

P2P is spot on. I had the exact same thing happen when I flew in the same area. After about 3 RTH's, I packed it up and went out to Hart Park.

I think you're confused about how this works. You don't lose GPS and return home as a result. That would be impossible, since without a GPS it doesn't know where it is or how to get home. And you can't "put up a geofence", since this isn't star trek. You're losing the WiFi connection to controller, and it is returning home as a failsafe. That is probably happening due to extreme wifi congestion in the area.
Thanks... Like I said above I'm new to all this. The controller did say, lost connection returning home, that definitely makes sense. Once it got back to the parking lot area I was in, about 100 ft. away I regained control, that's what puzzled me. Every time I flew past that one point it would lose connection. I read an article awhile back when everyone was getting annoyed by all the drones buzzing around about a company that was developing a way to put up geo-fences for sporting events to keep drones out of the area. That's why I put the question mark after the statement...lol.
How far does the drone keep a wi-fi connection?
I watched a youtube vid of a guy that flew his drone using a mission in the tower app 5.2 miles. That amazed me.
Article about geo-fencing: What is geo-fencing (geofencing)? - Definition from WhatIs.com

Thanks again for the info. P2P . I've flown it 3 times now, having a lot fun with this thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: dorniiif
I just got a Nexus 7 2013 android in and having all kinds of problems trying to install the 3dr solo app. I installed the solo services app
and when I attempt to download the 3dr solo app I get the message that the device is not compatible. This tablet has the Lollipop
system on it and there is no way to get the "apk" file downloaded even using Linux since it will give you the same error. Would I be better
just going to the Solex application? Communication with the controller and the new Solo is ok and I have a new gimbal for the quad but
want to wait to put it on and will use a cheap camera on the fixed mount. I would appreciate some ideas on this.
-Dennis

I just got a Nexus 7 2013 android in and having all kinds of problems trying to install the 3dr solo app. I installed the solo services app
and when I attempt to download the 3dr solo app I get the message that the device is not compatible. This tablet has the Lollipop
system on it and there is no way to get the "apk" file downloaded even using Linux since it will give you the same error. Would I be better
just going to the Solex application? Communication with the controller and the new Solo is ok and I have a new gimbal for the quad but
want to wait to put it on and will use a cheap camera on the fixed mount. I would appreciate some ideas on this.
-Dennis
I bought the Solex app, it installs on Android 4.4 and up. I put the Solo app and Solex app on the Fire OS installing the 4 APK files. I got the workaround from How to Install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire Tablet or Fire HD 8. I don't know for sure if will help you on the Nexus. You might want to scroll to the top of this post and ask Chuck. He has a Nexus 7 (2013).
I found this link might help you out. Open this on the Nexus browser and do it all from there.
3DR Solo APK Download - Free Video Players & Editors APP for Android | APKPure.com

Last edited:
-Dennis
There should be an update taking your Nexus 7 (2013) up to Android v7.0. Check your device for software update. If you are still having issues, maybe try to uninstall both apps, and then reinstall them again. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks, I had it working with the
I bought the Solex app, it installs on Android 4.4 and up. I put the Solo app and Solex app on the Fire OS installing the 4 APK files. I got the workaround from How to Install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire Tablet or Fire HD 8. I don't know for sure if will help you on the Nexus. You might want to scroll to the top of this post and ask Chuck. He has a Nexus 7 (2013).
I found this link might help you out. Open this on the Nexus browser and do it all from there.
3DR Solo APK Download - Free Video Players & Editors APP for Android | APKPure.com

I got the link on the APKPure.com with the "apk" file and downloaded it. The install was done from the download directory on the Android after the file was
transferred to that directory using Linux. The program ran but I found a bigger problem which is associated in my geographical area. We have these darn
farmers with single engine planes on their land and the area is covered with restricted airspace! The way this hobby is going, it won't be long till the whole
Continent is a restricted no fly zone! I had problems with the Solo App I think related to this since there was probably "Fence" areas put in and I could not
get the Solo to respond with any control from the controller or tablet. The only way I could get any response from the controller and Solo was to not run
the Solo App and just the controller. The Solo could be started inside with no props and ran up on the motors. Everything from the controller then was
functioning. It appears that the only way I could fly a quadcopter in this area would be to use a X380, Bugs 3 or any quadcopter that does not require a
WiFi, notepad or cellphone system. The Solo has never had props on it or flown so my only recourse is to sell it with a brandnew gimbal that has never
been on the quadcopter. These draconian FAA laws are ruining the hobby! :mad: Thanks for your help. :)
-Dennis

P2P is spot on. I had the exact same thing happen when I flew in the same area. After about 3 RTH's, I packed it up and went out to Hart Park.
It's well worth the 30 bucks. Kelly keeps the program up to date and adds new features and improvements. I bought and used it once so far. I haven't used the bells and whistles yet, haven't had the time to play with it.

There should be an update taking your Nexus 7 (2013) up to Android v7.0. Check your device for software update. If you are still having issues, maybe try to uninstall both apps, and then reinstall them again. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi Chuck, I checked on a update which goes through Google and it's a "Google Nexus 7 Tablet Asus ME370T 7" 16GB Android 5.1.1."
I didn't find any updates except a bunch of junk applications that Google will send as updates. I have the older Nexus 7 2012 1st gen.
coming and I am not certain what it has on it and whether it can be downgraded?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea