DJI FLIR Capability Coming Soon

ya. they've been around for a decade, some in the million$, cheapest in the six figure range. Let's see how they price out for the consumer.
The one made for Solo is from oemcamera, OEMCameras.com The Highest Quality OEM Cameras
The camera goes for $2,000 to $3,000 and the Solo compatible gimbal Thermal Imaging Is Here! The Highest Quality OEM Cameras can be pre-ordered now for $2,000. So for $5,000 you can get into thermal imaging. If you have some existing clients who could benefit from this, then this is a big deal.

But, take a look at the images at their website, the camera resolution, the range of focal lengths (the cameras don't zoom), and the inherent need to be around 100 feet from the subject. Read this Forward looking infrared - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't get me wrong; this is awesome technology. It will probably make big news when it is used to find a kid lost in the forest. It is going to be huge for agriculture. It will be great for public safety uses by government. But it is not an impulse buy.

Flir HQ is just a few miles south from me. I have a buddy who works in optics there. It's always fun to visit and see the cameras that are going in military drones and stuff :) These things we are talking about are toys comparatively speaking. They have some pretty sweet sniper rifle scopes.

...take a look at the images at their website, the camera resolution, the range of focal lengths (the cameras don't zoom), and the inherent need to be around 100 feet from the subject. Read this Forward looking infrared - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't get me wrong; this is awesome technology. It will probably make big news when it is used to find a kid lost in the forest...
I'm in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and have FLIR aboard my boat. Not an inexpensive tool - and it's true, the video is lower-res, mine doesn't zoom, and one has to be relatively close to see much detail. As PdxSteve says, comparative "toys". But I still see these FLIR equipped drones as great potential tools for SAR (Search and Rescue) at a relatively small price compared to large airframe-borne FLIR - if you can call $4500 + Solo a small price. Granted, apples and oranges, but state and local agencies near areas like mine in SW Florida may go for it. We have a lot of water, woods, wetlands, and swamp around here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea