DIY - Leg Extensions

Reaction score
Was at a fishing supply dealer here yesterday and found an interesting item. They are rod grips, EVA closed cell foam Grips, basically 10mmID by 26mmOD by 16" long and cost around $10. The tube is very light in weight, but stiff enough to support the Solo once pressed onto the legs. It segmented fairly easy with a razor blade, made mine 3" long each. The tight fit to the leg makes the attachment stable without any need to glue, installed just past the stock rubber feet which gave me about a 2" lift.

I had purchased another style open cell foam grip previously, but it's weight and bulk was so noticeable that I choose not to test once home. The newer grip material is all around better.

Pros: Firm, virtually no weight, cut to length, cushion landing, customizable length, shapes easy.

Cons: Adding additional surface area to Solo which may cause difficult flights in +winds.

Initial thoughts is that the material could be worked down to reduce the profile for wind purposes. Just need to play around and see what can be done.

Here's an example from the internet, not endorsing the dealer or the brand...ymmv

Camo EVA Grips | mudhole.com

Edit to add: I placed the material onto a bolt and chucked it up to the drill press. 100 grit sand paper works the material down quite well. Still mechanically stable when worked down to 18mm OD. Really interesting material....

Last edited:
Reactions: RolandS888 and Del
Was at a fishing supply dealer here yesterday and found an interesting item. They are rod grips, EVA closed cell foam Grips, basically 10mmID by 26mmOD by 16" long and cost around $10. The tube is very light in weight, but stiff enough to support the Solo once pressed onto the legs. It segmented fairly easy with a razor blade, made mine 3" long each. The tight fit to the leg makes the attachment stable without any need to glue, installed just past the stock rubber feet which gave me about a 2" lift.

I had purchased another style open cell foam grip previously, but it's weight and bulk was so noticeable that I choose not to test once home. The newer grip material is all around better.

Pros: Firm, virtually no weight, cut to length, cushion landing, customizable length, shapes easy.

Cons: Adding additional surface area to Solo which may cause difficult flights in +winds.

Initial thoughts is that the material could be worked down to reduce the profile for wind purposes. Just need to play around and see what can be done.

Here's an example from the internet, not endorsing the dealer or the brand...ymmv

Camo EVA Grips | mudhole.com

Edit to add: I placed the material onto a bolt and chucked it up to the drill press. 100 grit sand paper works the material down quite well. Still mechanically stable when worked down to 18mm OD. Really interesting material....
Will it still fit in the Solo backpack, etc?

Wouldn't know, don't need no stinking backpack...;) I'm thinking these would be tactical leg extensions, just pop them on when you have the need to raise the bird further off the ground.

They actually remove with a slight effort as they are and am sure they could be made easier with a little thinking. I was just surprised at how light they were for how stiff they were....and they cushion.

Here's an example from 5 minutes of sanding....and thinking.

DIY_leg-extensions_SOLO.jpg

Wouldn't know, don't need no stinking backpack...;) I'm thinking these would be tactical leg extensions, just pop them on when you have the need to raise the bird further off the ground.

They actually remove with a slight effort as they are and am sure they could be made easier with a little thinking. I was just surprised at how light they were for how stiff they were....and they cushion.

Here's an example from 5 minutes of sanding....and thinking.

View attachment 2172
Hmm- veddy interestink...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000