Distance x battery =?

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Hi folks, hope all you good people are keeping well. I am trying to get a mental standard in linear flight which I can use to get an idea of how far I can expect to fly on one full battery. Not precise but generally speaking. Let’s leave auto return home and wind etc out of the equation.

1. my speed is between turtle and rabbit and I fly in a linear path how far will I get before my battery is depleted?

2. full speed rabbit which I understand is 89km/h what distance can I expect to get from one battery

3. slowest speed turtle what would my max distance be before solo falls to the ground?

So I would expect the times to be different as more power = speed must effect distance so although you fly faster you also use more battery. If I have a rough mental image then I can know my limits when flying. Then I can fly and film within those limits and not pushing boundaries. Those who live on the cutting edge bleed the most, better to hold the knife by the handle;)

I'm afraid that is not that simple.
The power required is highest in a hover and while going quite fast. The most efficient forward speed is somewhere in the middle.
The problem is you can't just say " I'll always just fly for X minutes and always have Y% of battery left". Winds, density altitude, temperature, how much you maneuver and battery age all affect how long you can fly.
Since LiPo batteries do not like to be discharged completely, you wouldn't want to fly max flight time every flight anyway.
My advice is to just fly normally and watch your battery percent remaining. Time your flights , and plan on landing with 20% remaining . If you have to push things just don't go below 10%.
Also remember the bottom of the battery is "smaller" than the top, so flying from 20-10% will take less time than flying from 90-80% due to the lower voltage. Plan ahead.

Thanks Andrew, Of course altitude density….I did not even think of this. I have been flying at high altitude 1 753 metres above sea level so the drone would have to work harder and battery life would be shorter. Also I’ve been intending doing very long single flight shots but this would be unnecessary because once the scene is established…well then its job is done. I’ve just realised also that shorter closer shots will be better visually anyway.

I found once the battery gets downs to 40%, it's time to reel it in a little. It's a good time to start lowering to a manageable altitude because the descent seems to take the longest...

yes I’ve noticed this. takes forerver to land, went out to do some test shots on an old building the wind was blowing crazy and left it a bit long/late and solo returned then the warning started and it seemed to take forever to land…it was a bit scary. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feamador