Could a Solo mesh network to extend range be possible?

Reaction score
It just occurred to me, while I was thinking about the WIFI system that the Solo uses, that it might be possible to use a strategically placed, battery powered, WIFI access point (or points) to increase the range of the Solo. You would likely have to reprogram the solo and controller to connect to each connect to a third device (really fourth if you count the phone/tablet). But if it could be programmed, then you could place one, or more AP's--each within range of the controller--that would allow the Solo to jump to the strongest signal. The AP's could be standard WIFI routers with a third party firmware, and I doubt that they would need much extra programming to work with the network.

You could take it 1 step further and use multiple Solo's in the same network, though the bandwidth might become an issue then.

While I want to have a strong signal and not have unwanted RTH or flyaways, according to the rules we are bound to LOS flights. All the boasting about getting 1-2 mile flights doesn't make sense to me. It's like car nuts who brag about going 0-60 in 3 seconds. Why? I don't want to sound like I'm flaming you or anyone, but we're supposed to be responsible flyers and not give the anti-droners reason to clamp down any more than they already have. I have bad eyesight, but I can't believe there is anyone, short of Clark Kent who can see a 2 foot piece of plastic 1 mile away.

@Cosber, that's a great point, and one that I'm sure many of us often neglect to remember. I'll admit that I get a nervous feeling in my stomach anytime my Solo gets to the point that I have a hard time finding it in the sky. I'm happy that I have faith in the software to bring it home, and I don't worry quite as much as I did when I first started flying.

This concept could also be used to increase signal around the LOS area that you plan to fly, particularly if used in an area that already has heavy wifi coverage.

One of my other hobbies is modifying cheap, tiny WIFI routers to preform a number of handy small tasks, I'm just surprised that mesh networking hadn't occurred to me earlier.

Reactions: RichWest
I've been thinking about trying this with the wifi base stations around my house. Instead of having the base stations create their own network, I'd have them extend the Sololink network with each additional base station configured in bridge mode. Should be able to leave the channel select on the base stations to auto.

I was thinking about a wifi repeater too until I got the FPVLR. Not to fly further, but to have better reception in places like a forest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc