Control Solo via 3DR telemetry radios?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've built a couple drones using an APM controller and a Pixhawk. In each case, I used 3DR telemetry radios to get telemetry downlinked to either the Tower app or my Taranis R/C radio, as well as to be able to control those drones via a PC, or via my phone / USB OTG cable, connected to a 3DR telem radio.

Anyway, anyone know if it's possible to connect a 3DR telemetry radio to a Solo?

Thanks...

--

Bill

Bill,
I don't believe you can connect a 3DR radio to solo with the stock firmware.
That being said, you can connect a PC running Mission Planner via Wi-Fi, even while running the Solo app. Its a great way to get all the telemetry data, but have all the functionality that the Solo app provides.
Just remember to connect the Solo app first if you want to see the live video.

Andy

Reactions: drift
Set your computers settings to your solo's WiFi use UDP instead of mavlink. your set go! works in tower, mission planner, solex, pix4.

Set your computers settings to your solo's WiFi use UDP instead of mavlink. your set go! works in tower, mission planner, solex, pix4.

Thanks Steve. That's good to know.

I'm still wondering about those telemetry radios though.

--

Bill

Hi guys,

I've built a couple drones using an APM controller and a Pixhawk. In each case, I used 3DR telemetry radios to get telemetry downlinked to either the Tower app or my Taranis R/C radio, as well as to be able to control those drones via a PC, or via my phone / USB OTG cable, connected to a 3DR telem radio.

Anyway, anyone know if it's possible to connect a 3DR telemetry radio to a Solo?

Thanks...

--

Bill

hi Bill
actually it can..

please skip to minutes 8:00 yes i know its a worse video on youtube history, but look at the main of story :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK...well....wow....that's great to hear.

He says he plugged the telemetry radio in to serial 2 (Telem 2?) Telemetry Port Setup for Pixhawk and PX4 — Copter documentation ).

I'm familiar with that as I have done the same with my hexacopter and Pixhawk. But OK...now I am wondering...is there an actual port in there? A "DF13" like on the actual Pixhawk?? Can I just plug-and-play a telemetry radio with a 6-wire (or 4-wire) connector? Or did he have to solder to a certain part of the "pcb"?

Thanks Korakora.

--

Bill

OK...well....wow....that's great to hear.

He says he plugged the telemetry radio in to serial 2 (Telem 2?) Telemetry Port Setup for Pixhawk and PX4 — Copter documentation ).

I'm familiar with that as I have done the same with my hexacopter and Pixhawk. But OK...now I am wondering...is there an actual port in there? A "DF13" like on the actual Pixhawk?? Can I just plug-and-play a telemetry radio with a 6-wire (or 4-wire) connector? Or did he have to solder to a certain part of the "pcb"?

Thanks Korakora.

--

Bill

yes you can just solder directly into it (at least i'm doing that) tx rx gnd and 5v you can get it at Extend 3DR Solo Accessory Bay - Hackster.io

but unfortunetetly you can't just plug 'n play
you have to connect with Artoo 1st like mr Stepphen Jenings said, and set parameter serial2 from 0 to 1

solo original parameter
SERIAL2_BAUD,57
SERIAL2_PROTOCOL,0

into
SERIAL2_BAUD,57
SERIAL2_PROTOCOL,1 (i'm not quote remember it's 1 or 2) to long a go from my last time i'm mod this solo

And thanks korakora for your info into the procedure to complete this mod not doing it myself but great information!

yes you can just solder directly into it (at least i'm doing that) tx rx gnd and 5v you can get it at Extend 3DR Solo Accessory Bay - Hackster.io

but unfortunetetly you can't just plug 'n play
you have to connect with Artoo 1st like mr Stepphen Jenings said, and set parameter serial2 from 0 to 1

solo original parameter
SERIAL2_BAUD,57
SERIAL2_PROTOCOL,0

into
SERIAL2_BAUD,57
SERIAL2_PROTOCOL,1 (i'm not quote remember it's 1 or 2) to long a go from my last time i'm mod this solo

Korokora,

Just to be 100% sure. These pins? (highlighted...and of course ANY "BAT" and ANY "GND)

upload_2016-11-1_9-23-57.png

Hi guys,

Thanks...

--

Bill
You can use tower or mp connect to solo for your telemetry data. The connection option is udp.

I've try with 1.5.3 and also with last stable release but not working 3DR radio telemetry in pin serial 2 I've already check the parameters using mission planner in udp!!!
Can you have a solution for me?!??

Korokora,

Just to be 100% sure. These pins? (highlighted...and of course ANY "BAT" and ANY "GND)

View attachment 4516

Hi,

I am interested in using 3DR Solo with an antenna tracker to fly over multiple rovers with Pixhawk 2.1. However, the latter requires 3DR telemetry radios for each vehicle and the 3DR Solo communicates over wi-fi. My hunch is that I will have to integrate a 3DR radio to the quadrotor using an accessory breakout board. Is this what you did in your application? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Best,

-Javier

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela