Constructive criticism

Reaction score
Dropbox - SKATEBOARD MONEY.mp4

My wife decided at 35 years old to take up skateboarding and I decided at 37 to start in on an aerial video/photo hobby. The link is to a video I threw together with Windows Movie Maker (it's all I have at the moment) of her practicing with her skateboard most is footage from my Solo with Hero3 black, with a little bit of iPhone video mixed in.

I didn't plan on filming her but our new hobbies were in the same place as the same time, so I exploited the opportunity.

I'd appreciate some critiques on shooting and editing, if anyone has about 10 minutes to spare.

My grammar nazi wife already posted out the staring/starring typo so I'm good to go on that one. My bad....

I used the song MILF$ by Fergie for most of the video so there is some profanity and sexually explicit language in it, if anyone is offended by that.

Thanks for your time.

Reactions: Acroduster
Too things related to the video quality itself:

1. It looks like it was overexposed. You can play with the camera setting and/or adjust this in post.
2. There is some flickering in some shots towards the sun. A lens filter will help here.

Watch out for those wires - not just physically - but remember there is an invisible band of electromagnetic interference around each one...

1. It looks like it was overexposed. You can play with the camera setting and/or adjust this in post.
2. There is some flickering in some shots towards the sun. A lens filter will help here.

Watch out for those wires - not just physically - but remember there is an invisible band of electromagnetic interference around each one...

Thanks for the response Acroduster. I noticed that the outputted video was a lot brighter than viewing directly from the camera but I wasn't sure how to fix it once it had already finalized. I did try running it through Movie Maker again but that just exasperated the problem so I let it ride. I've got a set of lens filters that I keep meaning to experiment with, but I'm forgetful.
Are there any good (preferably open-source, or at least reasonably priced) video editing softwares that you'd recommend?

Also, whats a good distance (other than as far as possible) to keep from power-lines, so that my signals don't get miscombobulated? Or is that one of those no real rule of thumb things?

Ditto- what camera settings were you using? I've flown within 10' of wires with no issues.
I use Powerdirector 13 for editing. V15 is out now for $59.99@ Amazon.

Ditto- what camera settings were you using? I've flown within 10' of wires with no issues.
I use Powerdirector 13 for editing. V15 is out now for $59.99

If I remember correctly, I shot that 1080p@30, but it may have been 2K cinima, the original video is on my external at work now. protune off, anything that can be set to auto was.

Overexposed was also my first impression. Second was it looks like you had some imaginative fun playing around with the video editor. :)

For free: Davinci Resolve beta-14 is nice (Mac/Windows/Linux). Resolve has great color correction capabilities (and there are many Youtube tutorials).

Reactions: Redcon1
Overexposed was also my first impression. Second was it looks like you had some imaginative fun playing around with the video editor. :)

For free: Davinci Resolve beta-14 is nice (Mac/Windows/Linux). Resolve has great color correction capabilities (and there are many Youtube tutorials).

That's how I learn, play with stuff until I break or master it. Thanks for the software tip.

Try this:
1080/60/medium
Protune on
White balance: auto
Color: GoPro
ISO: 800-1600 (try different settings)
Sharpness: medium
EV comp: 0

Try this:
1080/60/medium
Protune on
White balance: auto
Color: GoPro
ISO: 800-1600 (try different settings)
Sharpness: medium
EV comp: 0

Would 1080/48 do okay? Anything higher than 48fps won't stream, I assume that my Galaxy Tab-4 is the weak link there, it's older and is maxed out at Android 4.4.
Also, I changed the Protune and white balance as suggested but my camera doesn't have the other settings options, or if it does, I'm not seeing them. I'm using a Hero3 black (not a +) and I probably should have mentioned that earlier.

Dropbox - SKATEBOARD MONEY.mp4

My wife decided at 35 years old to take up skateboarding and I decided at 37 to start in on an aerial video/photo hobby. The link is to a video I threw together with Windows Movie Maker (it's all I have at the moment) of her practicing with her skateboard most is footage from my Solo with Hero3 black, with a little bit of iPhone video mixed in.

I didn't plan on filming her but our new hobbies were in the same place as the same time, so I exploited the opportunity.

I'd appreciate some critiques on shooting and editing, if anyone has about 10 minutes to spare.

My grammar nazi wife already posted out the staring/starring typo so I'm good to go on that one. My bad....

I used the song MILF$ by Fergie for most of the video so there is some profanity and sexually explicit language in it, if anyone is offended by that.

Thanks for your time.

I think that's an incredibly sweet video. I get it that you might want to get control of the exposure and definitely play with ND filters (make sure to balance the gimbal) but that's all for the next video. I think that's a perfect video. Nothing wrong with raw edges, it just amplifies the authenticity of the story. There is a reason why the pros sometimes try to emulate home movies.

I would buy her a set of these :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016U4R6II/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got some to learn to ride a unicycle and I'm glad even tho I don't always wear them.

Thanks for sharing! We'll be watching for the first skate park vid!!!

Would 1080/48 do okay? Anything higher than 48fps won't stream, I assume that my Galaxy Tab-4 is the weak link there, it's older and is maxed out at Android 4.4.
Also, I changed the Protune and white balance as suggested but my camera doesn't have the other settings options, or if it does, I'm not seeing them. I'm using a Hero3 black (not a +) and I probably should have mentioned that earlier.
Then stick with 30fps- didn't know about the settings on the 3 so you probably don't have them.

I think that's an incredibly sweet video. I get it that you might want to get control of the exposure and definitely play with ND filters (make sure to balance the gimbal) but that's all for the next video. I think that's a perfect video. Nothing wrong with raw edges, it just amplifies the authenticity of the story. There is a reason why the pros sometimes try to emulate home movies.

I would buy her a set of these :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016U4R6II/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got some to learn to ride a unicycle and I'm glad even tho I don't always wear them.

Thanks for sharing! We'll be watching for the first skate park vid!!!

She actually has a set already but doesn't wear them because she figures she's not going fast enough to really hurt herself yet. Well.... She thought that until the fall shown in that video, she complained of pain on her right side for week after. I suspect that she may change her tune the next time she gets out there.

Thanks for the complements and advice.

Then stick with 30fps- didn't know about the settings on the 3 so you probably don't have them.
I've been playing around with the filters as you suggested, they really do make a noticeable difference. I just need to master the arts of which one when where and how.

Your last line rhymes

Well, most of the people replying on this thread are not here anymore. So maybe we can get a fresh discussion going with the far nicer people who are currently here?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea