Constant Level Calibration

Reaction score
Website
takenbydrone.com
I'm having to perform a level calibration each time that I switch out the battery on my 3DR Solo.

This is even after I perform the calibration from home on a flat surface. Why does this keep happening I have to go through the calibration from the 3DR app while in the field and its adding quite a bit of time to my pre-flight time.

Is it possible to take off without performing this each and every time? This is getting freakin annoying.

Mine does that too, as reported by the controller. However as soon as I start the app (iOS), the Solo chirps the happy tone and the error on the controller goes away. So I do not bother to level calibrate over and over.

Mine does that too, as reported by the controller. However as soon as I start the app (iOS), the Solo chirps the happy tone and the error on the controller goes away. So I do not bother to level calibrate over and over.

Not for me. What is the order you're powering/starting everything. I go Solo then Controller, the 3DR App. Same results on IOS and Android.

I have a ticket open with 3DR.

I go Controller, Solo, then App (most of time, but always app last). Please post back what they say about this issue.
Thanks

Mins has been doing it lately a lot as well..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Its the weekend so I have not gotten a response from 3DR support yet but man this is so annoying. I have to perform this so much that I don't even take off the props when performing the calibration.

Any way to take off using Tower with a calibration? I would then just switch to the 3DR Solo app after its in the air.

Its the weekend so I have not gotten a response from 3DR support yet but man this is so annoying. I have to perform this so much that I don't even take off the props when performing the calibration.

Any way to take off using Tower with a calibration? I would then just switch to the 3DR Solo app after its in the air.
I flew 2 batteries yesterday and no issue. I did calibrate gps (I always do before I fly)

Agreed, copter making me calibrate level almost every take off. Seems awfully awfully picky about being level. I would consider the freshly cut grass outfield for baseball level. Still squawking, place on level surface. So I walk about 70-80 feet to where concrete is, take off propellers to calibrate. Oh yeah, you can't take off from that spot, there is a fence nearby, "looking for GPS". Oh yea, when you put propellers back on, lose GPS. Something has got to give.

So I walk about 70-80 feet to where concrete is, take off propellers to calibrate. Oh yeah, you can't take off from that spot, there is a fence nearby, "looking for GPS". Oh yea, when you put propellers back on, lose GPS. Something has got to give.

Almost like we are using the same field. I walk to a concrete patch next to a metal fence as well.

Concrete can have rebar (steel) in it. Don't try to compass calibrate near concrete

Mine did this yesterday and today. Seems what triggered it was it came up and said magnetic interference.. Was setting up on a car before I put it on the ground and the 2nd I was inside a patio getting it ready.

3DR support got back to me this afternoon and asked me to perform some tests which I'll do tomorrow morning. Here is what they like me to do:

Thanks for the description of the problem, and sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I definitely see that there's something odd with the accelerometer on Z axis. We we need to do know is to determine whether this is a hardware or software issue. If it ends up being a hardware issue, we will do RMA the unit, if it's a software glitch, we could resolve the problem remotely.

A few question, has it been like this since the beginning, or when did the problem started?
Has the vehicle suffer any crash or anything of that nature?
Is there any modification or anything in particular that we should be aware of this unit?

TEST:
Let's go ahead and do this test.

With no propeller
Turn on Solo and Controller
Calibrate accelerometer if necessary
Set it on Fly Manual and activate the motors for a minute, let it keep going
Disarm it, and turn off just Solo

Turn it on again, and repeat the steps above.
Check if the calibration is required again, and let me know.

Finally please send the logs for further analysis.

If this is a software related issue, it will loose the calibration as soon as the vehicle turns off, and it will require the calibration when it turns back on, every time.
If this is a hardware related issue, it may not lose the calibration until some specific amount of time, we should be able to determine the root cause of the problem with this tests. Let me know what comes up.

Did you do the test?

Yes, I performed the test and just powering off the Solo it keeps the level calibration but as soon as I remove the battery it losing the calibration and I need to perform another calibration to fly.

So I got another reply from support as they reviewed my logs and they want me to do a RMA.

Here is what they sent me:
Thanks for the information, the time invested and your willingness to test.
On the logs, it looks like the accelerometer is drifting, more than loosing the offsets after a reset. I would ask you to send that unit back for inspection and repair, as we may need to replace the Flight Controller.

I will provide the information a customer service rep for they to provide you an RMA number and a return label to get the vehicle back. I must advise that this process may take a few weeks (from 1 to 3 weeks).

Let me know if there's any question, or anything else I can help with.

Did not always do this, but now change battery, level calibration is required. Unacceptable, and uses about 4% of battery. Still waiting for initial, "please wait three days for an informed reply" from 3DR.

Did not always do this, but now change battery, level calibration is required. Unacceptable, and uses about 4% of battery. Still waiting for initial, "please wait three days for an informed reply" from 3DR.

Yup, I'm pretty sure you'll be asked to do a RMA. Still waiting them to provide me the information to do so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000