Compilation of my first 10 flights with Solo

Reaction score
Hello 3DR Pilots!
My first video post on the forum is this compilation of clips from my first ten flights with Solo.

Comments are of course welcome and I hope you all enjoy. Some nice fall scenery here in Toronto.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excellent! Great scenery, videography, and editing. Looks like you've done this before.:)

Post some more when you can.

My only suggestion would be to shorten the time (multi-parts?) somehow, as most people don't have the patience to watch a 10 min video.

What software did you use for editing?

Hello 3DR Pilots!
My first video post on the forum is this compilation of clips from my first ten flights with Solo.

Comments are of course welcome and I hope you all enjoy. Some nice fall scenery here in Toronto.

unless your video contains ants, then this video isn't working?

Excellent! Great scenery, videography, and editing. Looks like you've done this before.:)

Post some more when you can.

My only suggestion would be to shorten the time (multi-parts?) somehow, as most people don't have the patience to watch a 10 min video.

What software did you use for editing?

Hey Maddog...

I do understand the ADD need for shorter videos than 10mins.. but I wanted to include all of the lovely footage! Lol
I will absolutely post more video as it comes, and will be mindful in future edits to shorten both the clips and the runtime.

I edited it in GoPro Studio this time around to give it a whirl but I tend to edit in FinalCut Pro and iMovie. I hadn't flown an RC aircraft before the Solo but have been a Media Freelancer for the last decade and have been trying for cinematics as I go.

Very much appreciated the comment and your taking the time to watch :)

Reactions: Maddog
unless your video contains ants, then this video isn't working?

Hi SteveReno!
Apparently, since I've limited the ability to post on 3rd party sites, you have to view it within YouTube. If you follow the link to Youtube it'll work.

I have been reading this forum for the last few months and always appreciate and enjoy your input, and hope that you will be able to view it/ comment on the footage.

Always wondered if your avatar on here is or could be made onto a TShirt!? Would look awesome :)

Thanks for taking interest and I hope you dig the video

Last edited:
I had the same problem, could not open the video. Here is what I get.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 2.50.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 2.50.50 PM.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 15
Just click on the link and it will open YouTube and you will then be viewing it.

As for the video - have you done some balancing? There appears to be some vibrations in several of the videos.

Just click on the link and it will open YouTube and you will then be viewing it.

As for the video - have you done some balancing? There appears to be some vibrations in several of the videos.

Thanks Acroduster... it helps keep footage as ones own to limit imbedding on 3rd party sites, the link in YouTube will surely.

I had a few days with winds above 40km/h and noticed the vibrations especially on those days. After my first two/three flights I re-installed my gimbal using the 'advanced' tutorial on YouTube and it helped a little.

I just ordered the slim hdmi from Relish 3D, and I've also ordered a Du-Bro 499 prop balancer and a 6mm rod to begin balancing props. The direct answer is no... I haven't balanced anything except the standard weights for the GoPro on the gimbal. I have a Dead Weight from Backbone for filters but have yet to fly with filters or the Dead Weight attached.

Also.. have been to the 3DR software page and don't see a download for mission planner for mac.. is it in the developer suite? Is there a Mac app that does the same thing? I would very much like to learn how to balance my motors, but lack a windows machine or the appropriate software.

Last edited:
Thanks for the screen shot Bret, I believe that opening it in YouTube will play the video free and clear. Or the white typed title of the video within the screenshot frame you've posted will lead you directly there.
Very nice video! Great scenery! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it!!!!

Hi SteveReno!
Apparently, since I've limited the ability to post on 3rd party sites, you have to view it within YouTube. If you follow the link to Youtube it'll work.

I have been reading this forum for the last few months and always appreciate and enjoy your input, and hope that you will be able to view it/ comment on the footage.

Always wondered if your avatar on here is or could be made onto a TShirt!? Would look awesome :)

Thanks for taking interest and I hope you dig the video
Didn't have time to view all 10min,
I can tell you have a eye for Angle & approche.
For transitions & Cutaways, let the music to tell you when & where to apply.
I can also see you love it, so you can be good at Photography, if you don't lose interest?
You got good hardware, Lens looks good or you De-fished?.
As for a editor, I suggest a paid program, Adobe Premiere, but many others to chose. The one you like working with is the right one for you. Demo first, then buy.
Good luck.

Thanks Acroduster... it helps keep footage as ones own to limit imbedding on 3rd party sites, the link in YouTube will surely.

I had a few days with winds above 40km/h and noticed the vibrations especially on those days. After my first two/three flights I re-installed my gimbal using the 'advanced' tutorial on YouTube and it helped a little.

I just ordered the slim hdmi from Relish 3D, and I've also ordered a Du-Bro 499 prop balancer and a 6mm rod to begin balancing props. The direct answer is no... I haven't balanced anything except the standard weights for the GoPro on the gimbal. I have a Dead Weight from Backbone for filters but have yet to fly with filters or the Dead Weight attached.

Also.. have been to the 3DR software page and don't see a download for mission planner for mac.. is it in the developer suite? Is there a Mac app that does the same thing? I would very much like to learn how to balance my motors, but lack a windows machine or the appropriate software.
Here's a link that may help you install MP on a Mac:
Installing APM Planner for Mac — APM Planner 2 documentation

(Tower is the Android version of Mission Planner)

To balance motors, many of us use an app called "vibration balancer" on iPhone or iPad mini. (If you have an Android device, we will have to find a similar app.)

Anyway, once you have Mission Planner set up, you can control the motors individually. Basically, you set your device on top of Solo, start the app, then turn on each motor individually. The app will record the vibration.

It's then a matter of trial & error adding weight (tape) to the motor and repeating the test to get the lowest vibration possible. There is a YouTube video on this method-I'll try to find & post it.

Here's a link that may help you install MP on a Mac:
Installing APM Planner for Mac — APM Planner 2 documentation

(Tower is the Android version of Mission Planner)

To balance motors, many of us use an app called "vibration balancer" on iPhone or iPad mini. (If you have an Android device, we will have to find a similar app.)

Anyway, once you have Mission Planner set up, you can control the motors individually. Basically, you set your device on top of Solo, start the app, then turn on each motor individually. The app will record the vibration.

It's then a matter of trial & error adding weight (tape) to the motor and repeating the test to get the lowest vibration possible. There is a YouTube video on this method-I'll try to find & post it.

Maddog,

Thank you very very much. This is exactly the info I needed.

I'll be diving into this over the next few days and it's going to be a game changer. Did a search online and see that there are a few YouTube videos showing parts of the process you describe. Much appreciated for the link for the APM planner. I've gone to the App Store and grabbed 'Vibration Analysis' for iOS. Hopefully the type of app you're referring too.

Have you found that the Solo suffers motor vibration more or less than other copters, or is it an aircraft to aircraft crap shoot? Also curious how often motors would require balancing (monthly maintenance/ every x# of flights)?

Read recently that I should be adding lube to the motors every 5-10 flights too and a friend of mine is going to show me how in a couple days. Always happy to perform maintenance on the aircraft.

I really appreciate the forum. I have so much to learn it's a little overwhelming... but with help like yours taking it step by step makes it that much easier.

- to anyone reading along... I realize this has diverged from my video post. I'll scout the forum using search for further queries. Not meaning to impose upon watchers time for my learning curve. Thanks for checking out the video!

My bad- the app is called "vibration" by "diffraction limited design LLC". (Free)
Here is the YouTube video that explains the process and lists the settings for the app:

I really don't know how Solo motors compare to other drones.

I use Triflow on my bearings every few flights.
View media item 336View media item 335View media item 331View media item 332
Motor balancing shouldn't be necessary unless you replace one or the balancing tape is missing. I like to use the metal foil tape they use for sealing heating/cooling ductwork in homes.

Reactions: FinniKris
My bad- the app is called "vibration" by "diffraction limited design LLC". (Free)
Here is the YouTube video that explains the process and lists the settings for the app:

I really don't know how Solo motors compare to other drones.

I use Triflow on my bearings every few flights.
View media item 336View media item 335View media item 331View media item 332
Motor balancing shouldn't be necessary unless you replace one or the balancing tape is missing. I like to use the metal foil tape they use for sealing heating/cooling ductwork in homes.

Maddog,

I can't thank you enough!! Wonderful information and very much appreciated that you've posted the photos for the access points to the motors for oiling.

Amazon seems to believe that I'll receive my prop balancing items in a day, and I've sourced the same oil you use from a nearby hobby shop.

I absolutely love this hobby and the Solo feels like a great aircraft for me to be learning on. My goal of buttery smooth video has brought me down a proper path of discovery about better maintenance and modification of remote operated aircraft.. and I feel like my next video posts with be far greater than my first thanks to the info from you and others from this forum

Thanks to everyone offering advice and comments. #fly3DR and happy fight to all

Reactions: Maddog
Maddog,

I can't thank you enough!! Wonderful information and very much appreciated that you've posted the photos for the access points to the motors for oiling.

Amazon seems to believe that I'll receive my prop balancing items in a day, and I've sourced the same oil you use from a nearby hobby shop.

I absolutely love this hobby and the Solo feels like a great aircraft for me to be learning on. My goal of buttery smooth video has brought me down a proper path of discovery about better maintenance and modification of remote operated aircraft.. and I feel like my next video posts with be far greater than my first thanks to the info from you and others from this forum

Thanks to everyone offering advice and comments. #fly3DR and happy fight to all
Finni, you're welcome. Your 1st video was very good- I thought you had a lot of experience when I saw it.

Finni, you're welcome. Your 1st video was very good- I thought you had a lot of experience when I saw it.
Well sir... from your great info here, I've gone and made a Tinker Video about Oiling the Bearings in the Motors / Motor Pods :)

I've got your photos up during the video and I hope you don't mind but I've also linked our conversation with full credit to you! This is wonderful info for maintenance of the aircraft, and I had to share it.

Thanks again very much, and I hope you enjoy the video!!

Well sir... from your great info here, I've gone and made a Tinker Video about Oiling the Bearings in the Motors / Motor Pods :)

I've got your photos up during the video and I hope you don't mind but I've also linked our conversation with full credit to you! This is wonderful info for maintenance of the aircraft, and I had to share it.

Thanks again very much, and I hope you enjoy the video!!

Great job! Keep up the good work.:D

I finally watched the entire video...you do have a good eye and post processing skills. It's an interesting medium, this elevated view for where we live. You presented it nicely. What a fascinating skyline.

I finally watched the entire video...you do have a good eye and post processing skills. It's an interesting medium, this elevated view for where we live. You presented it nicely. What a fascinating skyline.
Dude got skills! Dude got skills!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo