Compatible camera options

Reaction score
I currently have GoPro 3+ mounted on my solo and it needs a upgrade. Since I need a camera upgrade anyways I was thinking of using a DSLR camera or something similar is this possible or should I just go with a newer GoPro?

I currently have GoPro 3+ mounted on my solo and it needs a upgrade. Since I need a camera upgrade anyways I was thinking of using a DSLR camera or something similar is this possible or should I just go with a newer GoPro?
I once said that you could use a turd for a camera on a Solo if you chose to. However... if you want cinematic moves with a 3-axis gimbal, camera control, and video feed... we'll, GP it is!

I once said that you could use a turd for a camera on a Solo if you chose to. However... if you want cinematic moves with a 3-axis gimbal, camera control, and video feed... we'll, GP it is!
This being said is there any gimbals compatable with the GoPro 5 black as it has a sealed LCD screen on the back?

Reactions: dogislucky
This being said is there any gimbals compatable with the GoPro 5 black as it has a sealed LCD screen on the back?
Yes... the Karma gimbal. Nothing for Solo and GP5 nor is there likely ever to be, AND if there ever was, it wouldn't be (nearly as) affordable. Solo, as designed, likes H3+B, H4S, H4B. Your can also find limited success and limiting features with some clones like SJCAM. Search the forum for details.

the hero 5 from an aerial video camera has nothing on the 4
voice commands are not going to help you at altitude
ditto for a touch screen
the Linier FOV (no fish eye) is not available at higher resoltions

From an IQ point of view, the 4 holds up quite well over the 5
If you want the best camera option for a solo, get a hero 4 black with a Peau 3.97 lens or equivalent
snag the free ground control 709 tech LUT
and you are good to go

Reactions: SARDG
the hero 5 from an aerial video camera has nothing on the 4...

If you want the best camera option for a solo, get a hero 4 black with a Peau 3.97 lens or equivalent...
Agreed, and I have that combo.

Mic Bergsma did some side-by-side comparisons of stock 4 and 5 and some people on this forum actually picked the 4 as having a better picture. I'd say the 4 is certainly no worse than the 5 in quality.

Higher video resolutions, with Solo I use 2.7K at 60fps medium view.
GP4 Black can do 4K at 30 fps, but the GP4 Silver can only do 4K at 15 fps. I find that the higher fps gives a better video.

This site has some excellent GP settings......

Higher resolutions and frame rates
not sure what is on the silver since I never bought those, but your best overall formats are 4K 30FPS wide and 2.7K 60FPS Wide on a lens modified gopro

Find the 4.35mm focal to be a much more natural. The 4.35mm lens gives you a tigher crop that what you might be used to with the original GoPro lens. It's more like shooting in Medium or Narrow Fields of view. What this means is that any camera shake that you already get in your footage is likely to be exacerbated.

the hero 5 from an aerial video camera has nothing on the 4
voice commands are not going to help you at altitude
ditto for a touch screen
the Linier FOV (no fish eye) is not available at higher resoltions

From an IQ point of view, the 4 holds up quite well over the 5
If you want the best camera option for a solo, get a hero 4 black with a Peau 3.97 lens or equivalent
snag the free ground control 709 tech LUT
and you are good to go

LOL, i just thought about glueing a hero 5 on the gimbal and also glueing a phone next to it, shouting the gopro commands into my phone at the controller when making a call to the phone on the bird

HAHA that would be awesome :p:D:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dartmango

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc