Compass calibration progress bar is stuck at halfway - Magnetic Interference Warning

Reaction score
When I power on my Solo and controller I receive a "Magnetic Interference" message on the controller. I moved to several different spots to make sure I was clear of any metal or magnetic objects, but to no avail. I thought maybe it just needed a recalibration at this point, but when I go in to calibrate IMU and calibrate compass it will complete the IMU just fine, but the progress bar for the compass calibration only fills halfway then stops and won't progress any further. It was this way in both the 3DR app and in Solex. Then yesterday I decided to do the upgrade to Open Solo and flashed both the controller and the copter successfully, however the warning that was originally displayed as "Magnetic Interference" has changed to "Compass Calibration" in the new Open Solo firmware. Please, does anyone have any ideas to help??

Sigh. The very beginning of the Open Solo instructions say not to install it if you have a malfunctioning Solo. That won't fix anything.

Presuming you still have the compass in the leg installed and plugged in, not hanging out or loose, then one of your compasses is probably broken. Most likely the leg compass since the internal ones don't usually fail.

Reactions: Deadpool
Smacking the drone won't fix a magnetic error, that only fixed IMU errors. Where it's possible that the compass leg might be damaged and need replacement, there's a few other things you can try out.

1: Make sure you are calibrating the compass outdoors away from buildings, tall tree's, metal structures etc. In other words, going into the parking lot while surrounded by apartment buildings and standing under the metal rain shelter right next to that giant sat dish isn't going to be a good place to calibrate your drone.

2: Remove any rings you're wearing, watches or bracelets. Some of them could be using a magnetic clasp which could interfere with calibration. Shove em all in you back pocket but make sure you aren't wearing them on your hands or wrists.

3: If your compass still doesn't calibrate, try changing your location. If your compass doesn't calibrate after 3 attempts in the one area, it makes sense to try another location to eliminate that as a possible cause.

4: If it STILL doesn't Calibrate after trying all of the above, then yes, try replacing that compass leg or upgrading to the HERE gps system from Jesters drones (It will be more expensive but it has it's own compass mounted externally)(and the flashy lights are cool...)

Reactions: Deadpool
Sigh. The very beginning of the Open Solo instructions say not to install it if you have a malfunctioning Solo. That won't fix anything.

Presuming you still have the compass in the leg installed and plugged in, not hanging out or loose, then one of your compasses is probably broken. Most likely the leg compass since the internal ones don't usually fail.
I have a couple spare leg compasses. I'll swap it out and update you on if it fixes the problem or not. Thanks for the feedback!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela