Combined my drone hobby with my running passion

Reaction score
When MPCC was added, I had the idea to try it out by getting some video of myself doing some trail running. My first attempt worked so well and was so much fun that I've kept it up since, I'm up to 17 videos so far. I feel like I'm getting pretty good at MPCC, as well as learning how much it can drift--especially in altitude (I've had 2 crashes but just into scrub brush, a few props broken).

Here is the full playlist, 17 short videos sorted by most recent:
Running Motivation playlist - YouTube
(play "Spot the Solo Backpack" in each video, heh)

Here was my first one:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And I'll put my favorite one so far here, too (made this for the 3DR "Weekend Solo Project"):

I'm going to try to keep it up, I'm having fun with this and feel like I should do as much as I can before drones are banned most places (I hope I'm kidding? But seriously, I find that the general attitude toward drones has changed in the past year.)

So anyway, subscribe if you like, or follow me on IG Getting Faster Slowly (@codysims) • Instagram photos and videos

Also, I have a question about Solo vs. P3/4.. I know that DJI added waypoint flight last year, but does it have super-smooth eased transitions between waypoints & camera angles like the Solo? I try finding this info and there's just so many people circle-jerking about the feature doing high-altitude demos that I can't find anyone that's actually using it to its limit.

Lastly, disclaimer... I know that leaving the controller is not recommended, that's why I'm mostly doing this in a wide-open nature park. I don't see many people on these trails, and when I do, I get the drone far out of the way or land it. I also only take off from off-trail spots, and have a very high RTH altitude so I have plenty of time to get back to the controller if signal is lost. I even add an extra waypoint to the end of my cables high up and away from the trail so it is less bothersome as it hovers at the end of the cable (I wish that MPCC had an option to auto return to start)

Last edited:
Just curious, how long did it take you to time this all out?

If we ever get some sort of object detection (the computer is more than capable of processing it), it would be great to use MPCC along with some visual cues. What I mean is, fly to point B, wait for subject to enter frame (dynamic), use follow mode for 30 seconds and track the subject, etc. So it's a bit more automated and reactive to the environment in a cinematic way. I think it would save a lot of time setting stuff that has timing critical shots.

Reactions: Stal
Hi Cody,
You just proved it only takes one person to be a:
Choreographer
Director
Actor
Editor
With a Solo from 3DR

LOVE IT

That's a fun way of thinking about it, thanks!

Just curious, how long did it take you to time this all out?

If we ever get some sort of object detection (the computer is more than capable of processing it), it would be great to use MPCC along with some visual cues. What I mean is, fly to point B, wait for subject to enter frame (dynamic), use follow mode for 30 seconds and track the subject, etc. So it's a bit more automated and reactive to the environment in a cinematic way. I think it would save a lot of time setting stuff that has timing critical shots.

It often takes a few tries to get the timing & speed right.. reset and try again! Though I've got a pretty good idea now of where on the speed slider I need to be to match my pace (I wish it would just give speed in the app alongside total cable time).

I'd love some more dynamic options like you describe, the future will be cool :) DJI's P4 ActiveTrack announcement initially blew me away until I realized how limited it is.

Also, I have a question about Solo vs. P3/4.. I know that DJI added waypoint flight last year, but does it have super-smooth eased transitions between waypoints & camera angles like the Solo? I try finding this info and there's just so many people circle-jerking about the feature doing high-altitude demos that I can't find anyone that's actually using it to its limit.

Is there anyone that might be able to answer my question above?

The P3 doesn't have automated gimbal control. It has automated flight paths, automated compass bearing but the gimbal tilt is not automated.
I recently tried the Litchi app for DJI and it seems that the "Focus" feature tilts the camera to keep your subject in frame but there's no cable cam with preset tilt angles available as far as I know.

It would be so sweet if it did! I think it's technically doable through an app update but the feature is not available yet. Maybe in the future.

Reactions: Cody
Is there anyone that might be able to answer my question above?

If there is a way to to eased waypoints with the P3/4, I've not yet discovered it. Using F-GPS and flying the waypoints is the way to set these up, but they're not smooth. You can operate waypoints in three modes (fly for record, fly for route, and fly free)
Record is the smoothest, but it still doesn't ease in/out to waypoints. There might be a means but I have yet to discover it with either the 3 or the 4.

The P3 doesn't have automated gimbal control. It has automated flight paths, automated compass bearing but the gimbal tilt is not automated.
I recently tried the Litchi app for DJI and it seems that the "Focus" feature tilts the camera to keep your subject in frame but there's no cable cam with preset tilt angles available as far as I know.

It would be so sweet if it did! I think it's technically doable through an app update but the feature is not available yet. Maybe in the future.
If there is a way to to eased waypoints with the P3/4, I've not yet discovered it. Using F-GPS and flying the waypoints is the way to set these up, but they're not smooth. You can operate waypoints in three modes (fly for record, fly for route, and fly free)
Record is the smoothest, but it still doesn't ease in/out to waypoints. There might be a means but I have yet to discover it with either the 3 or the 4.
Great, thanks. I was mildly interested in picking up a cheap P3 to compare for my use case here.. guess not! Love my Solo, I've had a ton of fun making these videos with it.

Great, thanks. I was mildly interested in picking up a cheap P3 to compare for my use case here.. guess not! Love my Solo, I've had a ton of fun making these videos with it.
And you have done an Awesome job of it. Would love to see more complicated MPCC shots like the first video above..

And you have done an Awesome job of it. Would love to see more complicated MPCC shots like the first video above..

Thank you! I have lots of ideas left to try out, stay tuned :)

I'll put a few of my more complex cables so far here:

second half of this one:

That's a fun way of thinking about it, thanks!

It often takes a few tries to get the timing & speed right.. reset and try again! Though I've got a pretty good idea now of where on the speed slider I need to be to match my pace (I wish it would just give speed in the app alongside total cable time).

I'd love some more dynamic options like you describe, the future will be cool :) DJI's P4 ActiveTrack announcement initially blew me away until I realized how limited it is.

The current Yuneec 4k can do this much much easier and better than the new P4 active tracking. I personally think the P4 active tracking is a joke because it's too easy to lose the tracking. The Yuneec Wizard implementation is much more practical and it works. You just put the wizard in your pocket or wear on your arm, and it actively puts you in the frame no matter where you go.

The video below was my 1st time using the Yuneec Wizard. It wasn't perfect but it's better than the P4 because it will never lose the subject. Had I increased the altitude, it could have been able to adjust to my motorcycle speed better.

The current Yuneec 4k can do this much much easier and better than the new P4 active tracking. I personally think the P4 active tracking is a joke because it's too easy to lose the tracking. The Yuneec Wizard implementation is much more practical and it works. You just put the wizard in your pocket or wear on your arm, and it actively puts you in the frame no matter where you go.

The video below was my 1st time using the Yuneec Wizard. It wasn't perfect but it's better than the P4 because it will never lose the subject. Had I increased the altitude, it could have been able to adjust to my motorcycle speed better.

You must have watched a different video than we did. I hope you aren't trying to compare a simple 'follow' shot to MPCC? He wasn't just following himself. There were multiple arcs, altitude and gimbal tilt changes in his video.

Sorry...."follow" is too simple for the solo :) LOL
I guess my comparison is not valid. I don't know what MPCC means but it looks like cable cam? I guess it's great if you're trying to make a movie. You plan a flight path and camera angle only?

Sorry...."follow" is too simple for the solo :) LOL
I guess my comparison is not valid. I don't know what MPCC means but it looks like cable cam? I guess it's great if you're trying to make a movie. You plan a flight path and camera angle only?
MPCC is simply amazing. I admit I wondered like Jubair what you meant, but all is well.
Simply put, you can have your a Solo go from point A to B to C to D - I'm not sure of the max - keeping your gimbal settings intact from each waypoint.
Yes, it IS cable cam, Multi Point Cable Cam = MPCC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc