Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

Coast Guard Aux Air Wing Mishap

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SARDG, Jan 8, 2017.

1. SARDG

Definitely no drone strike. Seems that buzzards are not an aircraft's friend either.

I may have mentioned before that the CG Aux of which I am a member, has as part of its structure, an air wing - AuxAir. If any mishap happens under orders - no matter who or what the fault - everyone onboard a boat or aircraft must submit an AAR (After Action Report) and statement. The attached is a page from our Division newsletter with a photo and one of those brief statements.

I began to qualify as Air Observer in AuxAir, but had to had to put it on hold for surgery and never returned. I suppose I am missing out on adrenaline-charged moments such as these.

Attached Files:

2. Chuck

Man, that would have been change of lower clothing for me. I can see just from the description of their flight that day, that the daily service they provide would be exciting enough without a mishap like that. I think the Coast Guard is a very under underestimated part of our armed forces, and don't get the recognition they deserve. So from a landlocked, landlubber, thanks to them as well as the rest of our Armed Forces men and women.

3. SARDG

I was up several times in those small a/c when I was in training - but just GREEN ol' me and the PIC. I am an adrenaline junkie, but may have had to rethink my volunteer choices if that had happened then. At least most of my flights were in a Cirrus - equipped with a parachute.

Many folks don't even realize that the CG is one of the Armed Services, but the CG Auxiliary is a totally volunteer service administered by the CG and we work alongside the Active Duty and Reserve for all missions except direct law enforcement - they won't let us shoot people! The regular Armed Forces don't get paid much, and the Aux don't get paid one thin dime except fuel reimbursement and a small maintenance allowance based on engines - and they have to rig their private boats and planes with specific electronics and rescue gear, all on their own nickel. I joined because it was a logical extension of the Navy - my old service. Made 83 bucks a month when I first joined the Navy - about 83 bucks more a month than I make in the CG Aux, decades later. :D

4. Whirlygig

I agree 100%. USCG does great job here in Washington! Thanks for your service SARDG. BTW Have you ever flown your solo off your jet ski?

5. SARDG

That's would have been a handful! :D And unlikely to ever arm with that unsteady rock'n'roll platform.

The CG/CG AUX is researching an official drone program. In the meantime - no flying when under orders or at CG Ststions/Sectors.