Coast Guard Aux Air Wing Mishap

Reaction score
Definitely no drone strike. Seems that buzzards are not an aircraft's friend either.

I may have mentioned before that the CG Aux of which I am a member, has as part of its structure, an air wing - AuxAir. If any mishap happens under orders - no matter who or what the fault - everyone onboard a boat or aircraft must submit an AAR (After Action Report) and statement. The attached is a page from our Division newsletter with a photo and one of those brief statements.

I began to qualify as Air Observer in AuxAir, but had to had to put it on hold for surgery and never returned. I suppose I am missing out on adrenaline-charged moments such as these.

Attachments

• Now Hear This Dec.2016.pdf
    429.7 KB · Views: 25
Man, that would have been change of lower clothing for me. I can see just from the description of their flight that day, that the daily service they provide would be exciting enough without a mishap like that. I think the Coast Guard is a very under underestimated part of our armed forces, and don't get the recognition they deserve. So from a landlocked, landlubber, thanks to them as well as the rest of our Armed Forces men and women.

Man, that would have been change of lower clothing for me. I can see just from the description of their flight that day, that the daily service they provide would be exciting enough without a mishap like that. I think the Coast Guard is a very under underestimated part of our armed forces, and don't get the recognition they deserve. So from a landlocked, landlubber, thanks to them as well as the rest of our Armed Forces men and women.
I was up several times in those small a/c when I was in training - but just GREEN ol' me and the PIC. I am an adrenaline junkie, but may have had to rethink my volunteer choices if that had happened then. At least most of my flights were in a Cirrus - equipped with a parachute.

Many folks don't even realize that the CG is one of the Armed Services, but the CG Auxiliary is a totally volunteer service administered by the CG and we work alongside the Active Duty and Reserve for all missions except direct law enforcement - they won't let us shoot people! The regular Armed Forces don't get paid much, and the Aux don't get paid one thin dime except fuel reimbursement and a small maintenance allowance based on engines - and they have to rig their private boats and planes with specific electronics and rescue gear, all on their own nickel. I joined because it was a logical extension of the Navy - my old service. Made 83 bucks a month when I first joined the Navy - about 83 bucks more a month than I make in the CG Aux, decades later. :D

... I think the Coast Guard is a very under underestimated part of our armed forces, and don't get the recognition they deserve. So...thanks to them as well as the rest of our Armed Forces men and women.

I agree 100%. USCG does great job here in Washington! Thanks for your service SARDG. BTW Have you ever flown your solo off your jet ski?

I agree 100%. USCG does great job here in Washington! Thanks for your service SARDG. BTW Have you ever flown your solo off your jet ski?
That's would have been a handful! :D And unlikely to ever arm with that unsteady rock'n'roll platform.

The CG/CG AUX is researching an official drone program. In the meantime - no flying when under orders or at CG Ststions/Sectors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo