Cloverleaf Style Antenna for Controller?

Reaction score
Amazon.com: 3.5 inch RP-SMA WiFi Antenna 2.4Ghz Omni BiQuad MACH 4B Antenna for FPV SUPER LONG RANGE BOOSTER: Home Audio & Theater
View attachment 6792

Anybody tried a cloverleaf style antenna directly on the controller? Would this be feasible as stand alone (pair)
or maybe in conjunction with an Alfa or stock combination?
I know I've seen threads where this style was mounted to the solo body but none using them on the controller.
Thanks for any info.

Clover leaf is circular polarized, this helps if your facing in any direction. What you loose is gain. Gain is simply shaping the beam of RF to give you longer distance.... picture a blown up balloon. If you squish the balloon, the RF will reach further (gain) if you let it sit naturally, its almost 360 degrees. Your best to put Alphas on your controller, then clovers on the bird. This helps the bird facing any direction to receive signal.... Someone else can jump in if i'm incorrect....? I use Alpha paddles on my controller, you must face the bird at all times (Flying Line of sight of Course) I find they help cut through any interference a bit better. I get about 600m in distance which is good, at that point I cant see the fucking thing any longer!

Reactions: Mykj and radforas
I believe Alfa's are linear. Using Circular polarized antennas on the Solo with linear on the controller will work but you are not taking full advantage of the CP antennas

I have the Alfa's but still can only manage about 500m in the areas I typically fly in(moderate wifi interferance) and that is fine. Just looking for a little more signal stability really. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these particular antennas.

Hey. I get about the same range with my Alfas in Massachusetts, USA! I got 2100ft ,-76db, still connected, video feed was working, but at -76db there were 0 bars displayed for signal level LOL.. I'm pretty sure if I went a bit further out I would have triggered RTL. I could barely see my Solo. It was just a small spec in the sky, and if I took a look at the controller and then back at the sky I would have to look really hard to see it. At that point I trigger a RTL. I'm thinking about getting the FPLVR antenna. Mostly to support GPS guided flights with Tower.

The antenna's you are linking are not cloverleaf's (circular) they are Bi-quad antenna's and as such are linear so they will work just fine with the standard Solo antenna's. In theory they should give you gain over the stock transmitter antenna's be interesting to see how they perform.

Bill

Last edited:
The antenna's you are linking are not cloverleaf's (cicular) they are Biquad antenna's and as such are linear so they will work just fine with the standard Solo antenna's. In theory they should give you gain over the stock transmitter antenna's be interesting to see how they perform.

Bill
Thanks for that info Bill. If I can get the Alfa range with a less "directional" antenna that would be great.
I may order one and try some testing with an Alfa or stock antenna. If I do I'll post results.
Thanks again.

Alfa makes a 9DBi Omni also. I have a pair and they work well. There big but then again so is my 10 inch tablet. I need to build a tray for my controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713VCYVC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3F8BO27730162&colid=2CKMAMNRI730Z
View attachment 6792

Anybody tried a cloverleaf style antenna directly on the controller? Would this be feasible as stand alone (pair)
or maybe in conjunction with an Alfa or stock combination?
I know I've seen threads where this style was mounted to the solo body but none using them on the controller.
Thanks for any info.
Have you tried the FPVLR antennas? There are made for Solo. I have gotten amazing distance as long as you have Line of sight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986