Cloud-based GCS: Pilotanywhere

... so no comments about our GCS?

Well, I provide then some more information: So we made in addition to the platform also a video streaming tool for the 3DR Solo that you may to use to stream you live video from the Solo to Facebook, Youtube and, of course, Pilitoanywhere!

Im not seeing anything beyond streaming that appeals.
Since GS software that I use is open source and free, am not sure I see a value prop

It indicates that you can pilot from the cloud but with LOS being regulatory these days, Im not sure I understand how a cloud connection is going to be better than a telemetry connection live.
If they ever allow you to fly remote drones it would make sense

You can think of Pilotanywhere as Twitch for Drones, i.e. you go to a super far-far away location and enjoy flying your Solo with your remote friends. They see your live flight, chat with you or, if you want, even control your Solo. Think of going from the US to New Zealand and give your friends or family at home the possibility to fly in New Zealand.

If you are at a super cool location in the US, I would love to fly there!

This is Twitch, if you are not aware what it is.

Technically, your channel users trigger an autonomous mission, you designed upfront that is transmitted from our servers to your local GCS (e.g. MAVProxy) and then to the Solo via your Solo controller. This is nothing special, your Solo's Smart Shots are also autonomous missions or pre-programmed flight paths as 3DR puts it.

So it's still you, at the super far-far away location, who is in full control of the Solo - and its your choice what kind of missions you define, within LOS or BLOS. But check the legal issues that apply to you, your vehicle and your location having this setup, cause we can't provide you any advice on that.

Another Pro: You have the option on our GCS to show a link to your tipping jar on your channel page, see the credit card icon here pilotanywhere - alpha 0.1. This gives your channel users the possibility to donate you some money. So this would be an income stream that you could generate using our platform.

Upcoming Pro: We are about to implement a whitelist for channel users, which would give you the option to allow the controlling of your Solo only to selected users. Technically, you could use that to sell your live flights at the super far-far away location to users. Of course, the willingness to pay is an open question. But generally it increases with the distance. Simply speaking: I wouldn't pay a dime for flying here in Heidelberg, but I would consider a payment for flying over the Grand Canyon or over Tschernobyl.

Last edited:
Is anybody interested in controlling my Solo this Sunday?

Of course remotely from your place using our GCS. A desktop running Chrome or Firefox would be perfect for this.

If yes, just send me a message or post your reply here to fix the time.

My licence covers autonomous flights within LOS, see the attached screenshot. It says that I am allowed to perform autonomous flights as long as I stay within LOS and as long as I am able to regain control of the vehicle at any time.

5254-92a167e19cbd488252d2ba0c11d34966.jpg

This is what we would have. I would prepare upfront the autonomous missions and put then the vehicle ready to launch. The remote user would simply trigger the autonomous missions. So technially it still would be me who is in full control.

During the flight, I would stand there at the launch point and watch my Solo flying around. And, yes, I would have the possibility to regain full control via my controller at any time.

Last edited:
I guess that is where you lose me
the advantage to cloud would be remote remote piloting
but since LOS mandates, I can do all of that with existing GCS MP, Tower etc
pretty cool tech though

What do you mean by remote remote piloting? That none is at the location of the vehicle?

Thanks.

Yes, but there is the key difference: You are not able give remote control to a user in New Zealand using MP or Tower while being with your vehicle in the US, are you?

Last edited:
I get your point. If I just consider me flying my Solo at a location next to my home, then yes, our GCS is not needed. Then it does not make sense.

As I posted before, I find it very attractive to fly over a very remote place. And if there is someone who oversees that or not, I don't care. What I want is a beautiful location and a flight that does not endanger people and other things at the location.

Last edited:
Nice concept. I believe verizon is doing just that. That said, verizon is doing it with dji inspire not Solo.

For Solo to do live stream video feed, I believe it needs extra hardwares, ie Intel Edison cube, Rasperbery Pi, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle