Charging GoPro battery

Reaction score
I am new to this so it might seem like a simply question. I thought I had been told that the solo would charge the gopro battery when they are connected. I am I correct. If so mine does not seem to be doing that.
I appreciate any help.

Welcome to the forum, Doug. Yes, Solo charges the GoPro battery during flight. That is so the camera doesn't run out of juice during a shoot. If your camera battery was low to start with, it could be that Solo didn't have enough time to make a noticeable difference. Try charging the GoPro battery fully before your next flight, and then check it again afterwards. It should still have plenty of charge left. It also wouldn't hurt to invest in 1 or 2 more GoPro batteries, and rotate them every few flights. Good luck to you, and fly safe.

Reactions: Steve Langford
From what I've gathered and experienced over the last several months is that Solo is more of a GP battery "sustainer" and shouldn't be counted on to actively charge GoPro. Trying to begin your flight-days with a full GP battery will eliminate any unwelcome surprises.

If you're using a GP4 with FW 3.X, then GP will only be on when Solo is on, giving you potentially a perceived better GP battery life as by default, there will be no GP power without Solo power.

Reactions: FinniKris
It's actually none of the above. The solo powers the GoPro directly. The GoPro's battery is not charged, discharged, or maintained. There are two different power inputs to the GoPro. One is as described above. The other would indeed charge the battery, and that is not used.

It's actually none of the above. The solo powers the GoPro directly. The GoPro's battery is not charged, discharged, or maintained. There are two different power inputs to the GoPro. One is as described above. The other would indeed charge the battery, and that is not used.

So a GoPro without a battery in it at all will still work when flying in a Solo? That'd be cool. Every ounce counts.

That's correct. However, any power glitch or brownout from the Solo will shut the camera off. And it will not turn back on automatically. I wouldn't do it.

So for clarification, if the solo powers the gopro, when hooked up, the red charge light will not be on? When I have mine in, there is no light. Also, the gopro gives my iphone 7 the live feed, but the "circle" record button is not red which results in me not being able to remotely start and stop recording. any advice???

So for clarification, if the solo powers the gopro, when hooked up, the red charge light will not be on? When I have mine in, there is no light.
That is correct.

Also, the gopro gives my iphone 7 the live feed, but the "circle" record button is not red which results in me not being able to remotely start and stop recording. any advice???
Which model GoPro? What firmware is it on?

That is correct.

Which model GoPro? What firmware is it on?
Thank you for the quick response! Shortly after posting this, I found out about updating the GoPro firmware. I did not want to respond with out looking into it and updating it first. The updated firmware fixed the issue!

My Gopro battery does in fact get charged, while it is connected and the Solo is powered up. Battery goes from dead, to charging, and if I fly more than one Solo battery, I can end up with a fully charged Gopro as a result.

My Gopro battery does in fact get charged, while it is connected and the Solo is powered up. Battery goes from dead, to charging, and if I fly more than one Solo battery, I can end up with a fully charged Gopro as a result.

The early Solo firmware version(s) did that, but that feature disappeared a while ago. Which firmware version do you have?

Mine appears to charge as well. Mine is a 3+ Black with the most up to date firmware that camera can accept. Here is a photo from another thread showing off my new PolarPro lights. You can see the camera charge light is on.
dsc03037-jpg.4971

What SOLO firmware version do you have? (The GoPro firmware version is irrelevant).

According to my Solo App:

Solo -2.4.2
Controller - 2.4.2
Gimbal - 1.3.6
App - 2.4.0
Autopilot - 1.3.1
Controller firmware - 1.2.11

I just bought this a few weeks ago and updated it the day I bought it so I'd assume this is all the most current versions.

I dont think i seen this previously mentioned but the balance would be way off for the gimble with no battery in the camera. That might risk damage to the gimble I would think.......due to constant strain just to stay level and such.

I am new to this so it might seem like a simply question. I thought I had been told that the solo would charge the gopro battery when they are connected. I am I correct. If so mine does not seem to be doing that.
I appreciate any help.

Here is info straight from the gimbal box.
Hope this helps.

fa0b2e79a28c2dd14eb6d2d5ec19434a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is info straight from the gimbal box.
Hope this helps.
DougM's original post and question was 2.5 months ago. In that time, no 2 posts in this thread agreed with one another - some saying that charging was implemented (gimbal box), but now is not. That may or may not be true, but it likely won't be settled within this thread.

Numerous tests have been performed on this by myself and others to establish some facts that are more than anecdotal. Those tests were looking at both the GoPro battery charging and heat generation from the GoPro. The GoPro battery should not be getting charged. And on a properly functioning Solo and gimbal, it will not be getting charged. Ever. Not under any circumstances. It doesn't matter which GoPro you use or what firmware you have on the GoPro. Power is not being supplied to the charging pins by the Solo's gimbal, therefore the battery will not be charged. It does supply power to the power only pins. Which power the GoPro directly, bypassing the internal battery. The developers and engineers behind the Solo confirmed this a while back, although I do not have a link to that handy. So we're not jut seeing things here.

So, if your solo is actually charging the GoPro battery... as in you have tested to confirm the GoPro battery voltage is remarkably higher after being on the Solo for a while than it was before and the charging indicator is on... then your gimbal is malfunctioning. That isn't a feature. It's a problem.

Reactions: speatuk
Numerous tests have been performed on this by myself and others to establish some facts that are more than anecdotal... ...So, if your solo is actually charging the GoPro battery... as in you have tested to confirm the GoPro battery voltage is remarkably higher after being on the Solo for a while than it was before and the charging indicator is on... then your gimbal is malfunctioning. That isn't a feature. It's a problem.
Let's not forget that gimbal box pic, P2P. o_O

Hmmm. I have two Solos and three gimbals and they all function the same.

Solo on, GoPro on. Looks like the little charging indicator on the LCD thinks the battery is being charged. In previous pictures the red charge light was on also but not here. In reading GoPro manuals in detail, the red charge light only comes on when the GP battery is below 80% and being charged.

(Sorry for the crappy video quality but you can at least see what's going on)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421