Changing the flight performance depending on the mode

Reaction score
The other day I slowed down my flight performances to get some smooth shots. The battery was getting low and I could not bring her down as fast as I wanted to. My question is. Does anyone know if we can set/script different flight performances (Slow - Fast) depending on the flight mode. Fly, smartshots or autonomous? Upon pressing FLY I would like my hotter settings to take affect so I can drop her like a rock and get back on the ground. Yet I do want her more smooth when on a mission or smart shot.

Thanks Burke

Reactions: Nick Wollman
This would be awesome!
But, how does it work in Fly:Manual? Is it any faster? Off the top of my head I don't remember.

The other day I slowed down my flight performances to get some smooth shots. The battery was getting low and I could not bring her down as fast as I wanted to. My question is. Does anyone know if we can set/script different flight performances (Slow - Fast) depending on the flight mode. Fly, smartshots or autonomous? Upon pressing FLY I would like my hotter settings to take affect so I can drop her like a rock and get back on the ground. Yet I do want her more smooth when on a mission or smart shot.

Thanks Burke
Just set a button to Stabilize. You can bring it down much faster if you want. It's the flight mode I use if I am not in a smart shot. More fun to fly as well.

Just set a button to Stabilize. You can bring it down much faster if you want. It's the flight mode I use if I am not in a smart shot. More fun to fly as well.
not following. When I pressed fly to override the auto landing it was moving too slow. When I hit fly I want the performance sliders all the way to the right or at one preset value. When on a mission or smart shots I want it to be less choppy or another lower preset value. I personally like the ship to be hot- it is more fun. Too hot makes for more video editing.

This would be awesome!
But, how does it work in Fly:Manual? Is it any faster? Off the top of my head I don't remember.
I thought one setting does it all. I'm looking for multiple presets that can be assigned to different flight modes

Stabilize may not be a good option for those not comfortable or experienced flying with no GPS or altitude automation. FLY:MANUAL is just Altitude Hold mode in Arducopter. That mode should not have any software restrictions on climb and descent rates, but will still hold your altitude once you center the stick. You should be able to Chop 'n Drop in FLY:MANUAL, while not sacrificing the altitude hole once you center the throttle. That said, I haven't tried that on the solo. I do it all the time on my DIY stuff.

I do agree though, the climb and descent rates in FLY mode (loiter) are soooooooooooooo slow.

@Burkeam, what you are asking for does not exist. And it's not something that can just magically exist with some keystrokes. If you want an unrestricted climb or descent rate, you need to switch to FLY:Manual or STABILIZE modes. Also, smart shot speed is governed by the speed sliders in the smart shots. Not the rabbit/turtle settings in the settings menu.

Stabilize may not be a good option for those not comfortable or experienced flying with no GPS or altitude automation. .
i guess that is for him to decide. While he didn't say whether or not he was comfortable in non gps modes. His statement "I personally like the ship to be hot- it is more fun" certainly implies he can fly. So when he asked "so I can drop her like a rock and get back on the ground." , there is no faster/safer way to descend than stabilize. And it is also the mode I prefer to fly in when not in smart shots anyway.

@Burkeam; when you assign A or B to Stabilize, you can use it at anytime and it's a great way to control the descent at the speed you want. I prefer it because the preset climb/descent rates in Manual and Fly are too conservative for me. If using the stock props, the Solo will slowly descend with the left stick at half. Also is great for climbing faster too! Solo climbs at a much faster rate in Stabilize as well.

Reactions: Burkeam
@Jubalr, are you finding that your climb/descent rate is limited in FLY:MANUAL (Altitude Hold) mode? If it is anything like traditional arducopter, Your climb and descent rate should be free just like in stabilize. With the added benefit that if you let go of the stick, it will level out on it's own. With the throttle stick being spring loaded tot return to center, I think this makes stabilize a little less useful and a little more unsafe.

Last edited:
@Jubalr, are you finding that your climb/descent rate is limited in FLY:MANUAL (Altitude Hold) mode? If it is anything like traditional arducopter, Your climb and descent rate should be free just like in stabilize. With the added benefit that if you let go of the stick, it will level out on it's own.
No, there is a big difference. And I would say there has to be, since in Manual(Loiter) you are only 'requesting' altitude changes and not controlling motor RPM like you are in stabilize. In Manual mode, the max climb & descent rates are set in the parameters. Where as in stabilize, max throttle will give you 100% from the motors, and full down stick will put them to minimum. More on this regarding Loiter Mode:

• Outside of the mid-throttle deadzone (i.e. below 40% or above 60%) the vehicle will descend or climb depending upon the deflection of the stick. When the stick is completely down the copter will descend at 2.5m/s and if at the very top it will climb by 2.5m/s. These speeds can be adjusted with the PILOT_VELZ_MAX parameter.

FLY is Loiter. FLY:Manual is Altitude Hold. But I think that's what you meant. Now I know why I'm having this disagreement. I don't think PILOT_VELZ_MAX existed in some of the older versions of Arducopter. In those prior versions, you could climb and descend in Altitude Hold the same as you could in Stabilize. Climb and Descent in loiter, if I recall correctly, were limited by the WP Nav up and down parameters. Or I could need more caffeine.

Apparently I need to get my head a little further ahead.

FLY is Loiter. FLY:Manual is Altitude Hold. But I think that's what you meant. Now I know why I'm having this disagreement. I don't think PILOT_VELZ_MAX existed in some of the older versions of Arducopter. In those prior versions, you could climb and descend in Altitude Hold the same as you could in Stabilize. Climb and Descent in loiter, if I recall correctly, were limited by the WP Nav up and down parameters. Or I could need more caffeine.

Apparently I need to get my head a little further ahead.
Yeah, I think you are right. In my DIY builds with APM and PH, I don't remember a difference in Alt Hold and stabilize in vertical performance. I'm sure it probably had to do with toning down for the Solo's initial target market. Yeah, manual is what I meant. Sorry about that.

I can fly comfortably in any mode including acro. I prefer FLY when the workload is high-obviously. I believe it is possible not magical to have different flight performances for different mode of operations. FLY could be hot and when using MP on a survey a little more smooth.

I believe it is possible not magical to have different flight performances for different mode of operations. FLY could be hot and when using MP on a survey a little more smooth.
Are you volunteering to completely re-write Arducopter and the Solo firmware? If so, then you're right, it's not magical.

So you're going to do it? Or are you just going demand that it should be, and that someone should just do it for you because it's apparently not hard?

No. Hence why when I think of a feature, I politely suggest it to those who are. Rather than demand that this should be doing this now and it's not hard so just do it.

Got it. You're just a know it all.
I do code daily, however in different languages then the Solo -yet.

You should be able to Chop 'n Drop in FLY:MANUAL
This doesn't work if you have the performance slider set lower.

@Burkeam, what you are asking for does not exist. And it's not something that can just magically exist with some keystrokes. If you want an unrestricted climb or descent rate, you need to switch to FLY:Manual or STABILIZE modes. Also, smart shot speed is governed by the speed sliders in the smart shots. Not the rabbit/turtle settings in the settings menu.
You have no idea what it takes but assume too much.

completely re-write Arducopter and the Solo firmware?
Again a false assumption

No. Hence why when I think of a feature, I politely suggest it to those who are. Rather than demand that this should be doing this now and it's not hard so just do it.

Where did I ever demand? I never demand things of someone unless you're my child or I'm paying you. Nor do I make foolish comments about things I know very little about. I was trying to have a conversation with someone more familiar with the Solo coding so we could accomplish something, but all I'm getting from you is BS.

Feel free not to comment on my posts unless you can contribute in a constructive way- many thanks.

Last edited:
I answered your question in the very beginning. So did others. You were not satisfied with that. It's reality whether you like it or not. I explained it would require re-writing lots of code. You admit you don't write code for these things, but insist it shouldn't be that hard. So you want someone else to do it (since you don't), and you think it's not a big deal. OK. Find someone to do it. Good luck.

What you want is not incorporated into any aspect of Arducopter. And it isn't even close to anything that Solo does on top of arducopter. Comprehending that this kind of change is not a simple little bit of recoding does not make a "know it all." It makes me a reasonable and logical person that respects the developers who make this stuff possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40