Cell or just Wifi? pros and cons

Reaction score
Howdy! First time here!

I am a real estate photographer that uses Solo. I have already returned 2 android tablets since the lag and size was not functional to say at least. I ended up getting an ipad mini4 that is rock solid with one flaw.... I cannot access Tower (yes....I am a tad annoyed about that miss). I have to get a android to make that happen unless I want to fork up $12,000 to get site scan license. Which is way more then I need in functionality. I need the flight planning part that Tower uses for property on acerage. Now...do I have to have a Nexus 7 (appears to be the best choice) with cell or is wifi sufficient as long as the map will be preloaded at my office? The only advantage for having a tablet with Cell data is to be able to download new maps. Is this correct or am I missing anything?

Hi Mike, Welcome. You don't need cell access on your tablet. It's nice to have but not necessary. Like you said, just cache the area you are going to fly in. And you may be able to do that as needed if your phone or other device is able to create a HotSpot. The Nexus 7 (2013) is a great choice with a bright screen and what I have used since day one with the Solo with no problems on any of the software.

Lets assume that I use and non cell access Nexus tablet. Using a hotspot would certainly solve everything. Lets pretend that it does not work...... The imported map will become available when I am at the location of planned flight? The maps are GPS tagged then?

Lets assume that I use and non cell access Nexus tablet. Using a hotspot would certainly solve everything. Lets pretend that it does not work...... The imported map will become available when I am at the location of planned flight? The maps are GPS tagged then?
Without cell, you would just cache the map at home before you leave and then yes, it will be available when you get there. Most of the pilots here do not have cell on their tablet.

If one or more of you is using the solo app on nexus wifi how did you install the solo app? When I try it says my device is not compatible because it does not have cell?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela