can't fly with 2 drones at once.... (Mavic & Solo)

Reaction score
so i was out in a neighborhood park tryna plan on doing some drone chase, i had my solo up first 30meters in the air, then i proceed to boot up the Mavic, was planning to do some "target tracking" on the solo while they are both up in the air.
As soon as the Mavic boot up, my solo start beeping and i look over the controller it say "looking for solo" it start flying back to my home position and descend, while it was descending, i still couldn't gain back control back on my solo at all, it just fly back to my home position and land, and still wouldn't get signal from controller, it seems like the Mavic controller interference is way too strong, does anyone else have similar situation where you and a friend both flying drone and the wifi interfere with each other? if so, whats a good reliable solution to these?

This past Sunday I was flying drones with my cousin. He has a Phantom 3. Everything went well, but if we stood right next to one another one of us would lose contact with our drone. First it was me when I was experimenting with how far out I could go (got to 400 feet up and 1800 feet out) and when he leaned in to see what was on my screen it lost contact and began flying home. I didn't regain contact again until it was directly overhead and descending. Later, we were flying in the same direction but he was standing directly behind me. His lost connection and began to fly home. It made it most of the way and dropped softly in an open field where he got to it quickly and with no harm. We learned to stand well apart while flying at the same time.

Don't know if it was coincidence or if we were getting into each other's signals, but when we stood well apart neither of us had any issues.

This past Sunday I was flying drones with my cousin. He has a Phantom 3. Everything went well, but if we stood right next to one another one of us would lose contact with our drone. First it was me when I was experimenting with how far out I could go (got to 400 feet up and 1800 feet out) and when he leaned in to see what was on my screen it lost contact and began flying home. I didn't regain contact again until it was directly overhead and descending. Later, we were flying in the same direction but he was standing directly behind me. His lost connection and began to fly home. It made it most of the way and dropped softly in an open field where he got to it quickly and with no harm. We learned to stand well apart while flying at the same time.

Don't know if it was coincidence or if we were getting into each other's signals, but when we stood well apart neither of us had any issues.

well glad i am not the only one, i seen quite a lot of Drone vs drone (comparison video) of Phantom vs Phantom all flying side by side and they seem to be solid, but still, it doesn't seem like a good idea to fly them together at the same time.

Keeping further apart should alleviate the problem. It is most likely one receiver being desensed by the other adjacent transmitter.

Reactions: David Boulanger
As operators of RC aircraft, consider getting spun up on RF fundamentals. Wanna go above and beyond, get your Technicians from the FCC and become a Ham.

This below link will guide you through the process of becoming a Ham - where to test and how to study, practice tests, etc.

Even if you have no desire to get the license, check out the learning material, it'll only make you a better drone operator knowing all this stuff.

Get your technician's license. It's easy. Here's why and how. - RC Groups

I had experienced connection issues the other day after approx. 20 flights with no issues at all and now everything seams normal and functioning just fine. Now that I read this.....the day I had my issues, my neighbor directly behind me already had his mavic in the air. I was thinking wifi interference was my culprit......but maybe it was the mavic?

I guess I had ruled it out in my mind because I had flown with 2 mavics at the same time a while back and we where parked near each other in an open field that day and I had no issues. We may have been sort of facing each other the other day while both flying so maybe that's where my interference came from? Good possibility!

I've seen wireless routers have all kinds of connection issues when operated in proximity of one another. In fact the last time the folks from my ISP came out to set up a high speed WiFi router, the tech fought for over an hour and a half trying to get the router to communicate. I had a DSL modem that connected to a wireless router and it was being replaced with an all-in-one router. He didn't realize the old wireless router was still powered up. Turned it off and all was well. Had the same issue elsewhere. It would be interesting to see what the selectivity specs were for the wifi cards and how software auto-selected the channels and their ability to reject adjacent channel interference. The problem is only going to get worse using the wifi band especially in more populated urban areas.

Never had a problem flying with others, if you look at my avatar picture I had these drones at the park and another guy had a Mavic pro and we flew together all day and even passed the controller's back and forth to each other without and problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo